PDA

View Full Version : [Solved] Portable.txt (better: Portable.ini)

koiron
2007-08-14, 19:37
Listed on the beta page ( http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsdbeta/index.html ) under Changes (since version 1.4)... System support... Create Portable.txt in main folder to use app folder as data folder as well

Can anyone explain this to me? I made a blank Portable.txt file in the main folder and didn't notice a change in anything. Is there a secret trick to this?

PepiMK
2007-08-14, 20:57
Hmmmm there's a typo - it should be Portable.ini actually ;) And it needs special content:

[Paths]
LogFilesPortable=1

As you can probably guess from that, it would store Log files in the program folder (something maybe useful when using it on an USB stick). At the same time, the Recovery files will still be on the machine they were created, since they might be quite specific to that machine, and e.g. restoring them on the wrong machine could cause havoc.

koiron
2007-08-14, 21:32
Thanks for clearing that up, PepiMK. However, I don't think it's functioning as you described. After a scan, it still used config files and saved logs to 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy' and nothing in the installation directory was added/changed.

Since we're on the topic: Why not just move all configuration files to the spybot directory and then allow an option to specify where to save recovery/logs/etc? This would take some headaches out of portability/running it in bartpe :red:

PepiMK
2007-08-14, 23:46
... but that would make it absolutely incompatible with Windows Vista ;)
I'll re-test the functionality tomorrow :)

thenamelessthing
2007-12-06, 20:27
Hi! I have created the portable.ini in the spybot S&D and it doesn't work! I use the 1.5 version.

PepiMK
2007-12-11, 12:28
Did you create it with the contents mentioned above, or just created it?

I think I will follow koirons suggestion in parts... using that .ini file to allow optional manual setup of paths (entry DataPath=... in same section as above), will be available in next release (1.5.1.19).

fourte3n
2007-12-22, 00:17
Has anyone gotten portable.ini to actually work properly?

I have it in the app directory and it has the information as stated above, hasn't worked.

Merry Christmas