PDA

View Full Version : Smitfraud-C.CoreService - Problem solved or not?

PepMan
2007-12-29, 02:01
Hi, first of all I would like to say thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I have read the "before you post" instructions and followed them as closely as possible, please bear with me if I have missed something.

A few days ago, SpyBot S&D found Smitfraud-C.CoreService on my computer. In the information field it said something about how SpyBot S&D might not be able to resolve this problem, and that I might have to manually "close the handles" or something along those lines. I checked the item to be fixed along with some tracking cookies and such, and clicked on "Fix selected problems". Everything seemed to be fixed as normal.

A new scan discovered no threats, so at first I thought I was safe, but after reading up on Smitfraud I became less certain. So, here is what I have done today:

1. I ran the Kaspersky Online Scanner, and saved the log file.
2. I rebooted in Safe Mode, ran S&D and fixed the single item that was found, just a tracking cookie.
3. I ran HiJackThis and saved the log file.

I am not sure if I should post the log files from the scans right away or not, so please let me start with this question: Does the fact that S&D did not find Smitfraud on the next scan mean that it is properly fixed/removed?

(FYI, I use Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition, and this program does not find any threats on my computer.)

tashi
2007-12-29, 03:47
Hi there.

Helpers will need to see at least the HJT log in order to advise. :)

Please see the stickied procedure for this forum: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Skip the Spybot scan in those instructions and start a new topic, then I will close this one as helpers look for zero response. ;)

Cheers.