PDA

View Full Version : Anyone can help me out?

chewdz
2008-04-07, 11:30
I am using Windows 2000 SP4. recently i am having a problem. after i logged into my account and turn on the modem connecting my computer to the internet, the computer does not open any programs when i click on it during or after the modem was successfully connected.
After two to three minutes, everything returned back to normal.

Is there anything wrong with my computer and how do i ensure that such things do not happen again cos i am very frustrated for waiting for that two to three minutes everytime when i connect to the net.

Any help related is appreciated (pls don't give false ones)

Thanks.

Daz3210
2008-04-07, 12:29
I am no expert with malware etc, but can I try to clarify your situation.

Are you starting the modem as soon as the computer starts?

If so my machine takes a few minutes to settle after startup, I think because it is still loading the programs set to load at startup. Could this be the same for you was my immediate thought. Perhaps try starting the machine and logging in then go make a cup of tea then try the modem see if this makes a difference.

It could simply be that your computer is busy doing other tasks.

chewdz
2008-04-07, 13:43
Are you starting the modem as soon as the computer starts?

actually no. i switch on the modem when all the background applications and all the loadings etc have been done. hmm... i think when the busy light at the front of the CPU is gone then i switch it on.

Digbythickness
2008-04-12, 23:24
go into your control panel and click on internet options, run the diagnostic check on your internet connections. you may have your own firewall accidentally blocking you because it doesnt recognize your connection attempt as valid. I would STRONGLY suggest you be talking with your modem manufacturer before you change ANY settings you find via the control panel. you dont want to leave yourself unprotected.

chewdz
2008-04-14, 12:42
now i have another problem. after using firefox for quite some time, now my IE doesn't even load my home page when i tried to use it again. should i check for trojan horses or other malwares that may be hiding inside my computer or should i just leave it as it is?:sad:

drragostea
2008-04-14, 23:29
Well chewd... do you think it is smart to leave trojan horses intact on your computer? Don't be stupid... I would suggest running Spybot-SD and AdAware 2007. If your homepage does not display, then of course that is abnormal. I'll look forward to your results. :euro: