PDA

View Full Version : Kaspersky: Scan All?

funkmeister99
2008-04-08, 02:46
How do I make Kaspersky scan all my folders and files? When a scan is finished, it says: Object is locked.

Did it scan it, or skip it?

As for posting an Kaspersky log, how do you guys know which malware is where?

drragostea
2008-04-08, 04:13
When Kaspersky scans... it scans. It gives you the option to scan what for. Critical items, My Local Drives, Scan Individual folders... etc. The files are locked for a certain reason and are not concerned in the scan. Malware removal helpers will analyze the Kaspersky log. :fear:

funkmeister99
2008-04-09, 07:12
Alright,

Is it possible that a virus can make my monitor not function correctly?

This is what happened:

My computer was locked
I went to go watch TV
Came back and the black screen thing appeared (I use Vista so a black screen appears after a few repeats of the screen saver)
Shook mouse, computer would not re-uh...work?

drragostea
2008-04-09, 22:49
Um. Well, viruses/malware can cause your screen/monitor to not function correctly. I had a friend who had Smitfraud and a bunch of other malware. It was just not... good. One example, would be installing an update for your video card. Her screen was "mess-up" and blurry. It looks more like the screen of a TV when it has no signal. I had to remove all the viruses and malware. The update worked then. I would suggest posting a thread for help in the malware forum... along with a hi-jack log. Thanks :euro:

funkmeister99
2008-04-12, 08:13
Spybot S&D as well as Kaspersky found nothing. :/

As for other things, did anyone else get like this store thing from micrsoft.com?

My computer recently asked me if I wanted this program to access the internet (something about system32, might've been that svchost.exe, not sure) and I blocked it, because I had no idea why.

Just incase, I did a scan on my computer, and ploop, something about a store like X.X.microsoft.com shows up. I remove it, do another scan, shows up again.

Should I be worried...I did place microsoft.com to count as "Spyware" by my firewall. Did anyone else get this (I use Vista)? I just want to make sure it's not a virus or spyware that's not being found.

After 2 scans and 2 removals, it hasn't come up yet, but I never know. It was in System32 and could come back if I restarted my computer.

drragostea
2008-04-12, 19:50
funkmeister... what do you mean when the Microsoft store... comes up on your monitor? Do you mean like a pop-up comes up? What firewall do you use (Sygate, Comodo, ZoneAlarm, etc.) I would suggest some other spyware cleaners... but first you'll have to specify your results. Thanks.

Digbythickness
2008-04-12, 23:26
send an email to spybot.com team and mention the svchost.exe and see what they say.
oh and let us know too :)

tashi
2008-04-13, 00:22
Hello,

I did place microsoft.com to count as "Spyware" by my firewall.
Why would you do that when running a Windows Operating System?

Might prevent you seeing such as http://support.microsoft.com/ :wink:

funkmeister99
2008-04-13, 01:19
Well, I found that Spyware. It was detected by my Firewall.

I wasn't using the internet, but I found two spyware:

live365.com

and the one I was talking about that came back like in an instant:

onlinestores.metaservices.microsoft.com

Is that microsoft.com and safe?

live365 I think I blocked because I had no idea what it was.

By block, I mean like, my firewall lets me block what I want, and I decided to block a few websites I didn't know, never seen or heard about it, and that's why I did. Microsoft.com wasn't on the list, it was like X.X.microsoft.com.

Is onlinestores.metaservices.microsoft.com a microsoft.com website, or spyware?

drragostea
2008-04-13, 05:44
I found it to be a tracking cookie. live365 particularly and what firewall are you using? You didn't answer my question.

funkmeister99
2008-04-13, 22:03
Trend Micro PC Cillin Internet Security '08
After that, I use Spybot S&D.

drragostea
2008-04-13, 23:07
I see. My friend used Trend Micro's IS and found it to be resource hogging. :lip:

funkmeister99
2008-04-14, 04:05
Resource hogging?

drragostea
2008-04-14, 05:36
Yes resource hogging. By the I mean it takes up a lot of memory just to run. I have seen it.

funkmeister99
2008-04-14, 08:41
Oh, I have tons of memory.

Other then that, what is this metastore.microsoft.com thing?

It keeps popping up at random times. This is why I blocked microsoft.com.

Any clues/ideas/hints at what it may be?

drragostea
2008-04-14, 23:24
You mean metastore.microsoft comes up as a pop-up?

funkmeister99
2008-04-15, 08:38
Well, I haven't seen it in action, nor do I want to.

To answer your question, I actually am very paranoid. I'm a clean freak for computers.

I scan like 72 times per 24 hours. :/

Every time it comes up, I delete it.

Other then that, any guesses at what it is?

tashi
2008-04-15, 10:40
Hello funkmeister99,

The malware removal forum is extremely busy, with people waiting to receive assistance to clean up infected machines.

If you are going to continue to post topics there, have good reason and give that information to the person helping you.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=26737

Regards,

funkmeister99
2008-04-15, 11:07
Alright, sorry.

I thought a computer acting abnormally was a good reason. :/

But other then that, back on topic, what exactly is this meta stuff at microsoft.com?

Tom.K
2008-04-15, 21:28
The metastore is a small database maintained in each FrontPage-extended web that contains properties and settings of the Web site.
From http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2000/HA011382041033.aspx
Search results for metastore: http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&form=MSHOME&setlang=en-US&q=metastore&x=8&y=10

drragostea
2008-04-16, 02:58
funkmeister... I cannot help you if you do not specify your cause. When you say... you delete anything that comes up, that shows an act of carelessness and irresponsibility. Besides, your Hijack log comes up clean. What's the point of being paranoid. In my opinion, scanning 72 times in a day is too extreme. Even for me. I would suggest use a Firewall (besides Windows default, since it is built into the registry and can be disabled) and use a AV (Anti-virus) and anti-malware. Safe surfing and you'll be fine. You won't be invincible, but you'll reduce the risk of catching a virus/malware.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16242

drragostea
2008-04-16, 03:01
:nono::buried::banghead: What in the world do you mean when you say your computers acting weird?

funkmeister99
2008-04-18, 09:04
My computer does not seem to be functioning correctly.

When I tell it do to this, something else happens. Or, for some reason reason it goes very slowly.

Tom.K, thank you for telling me what that was.

I always removing anything because every now and then (for 3-4 days straight every 1-2 weeks or so, as I study the graph of infections on my computer via scan logs) Adware_MemWatch comes up, 99 times...

Just in the middle of nowhere, it comes up 99 times, and I remove it. Next day, boom, they're there again.

That I know isn't a microsoft.com thing.

My computer still acts funny, but maybe it is Trend Micro IS on big files because the scan screen flashes after a 3 second computer-freeze time then a speed of light flash of the scan program only.

Thanks everyone.

drragostea
2008-04-18, 21:56
My computer does not seem to be functioning correctly.My computer still acts funny, but maybe it is Trend Micro IS on big files because the scan screen flashes after a 3 second computer-freeze time then a speed of light flash of the scan program only.

Well, what did I say about Trend Micro being a resource hog. In addition, if your computer is running "slow" like you said it is most likely you have an infection... recall the adware_memwatcher that came up. Delete your temp. files, cache, and cookies in your browsers. Have you defragmented your drive yet? I would suggest running a scan with AdAware 2007, Spybot-SD. :sick:

funkmeister99
2008-04-19, 07:10
I don't even know what a defrag is...

:/

drragostea
2008-04-19, 19:39
Oh. I see lols, nothing to be afraid of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation

You know how fragments are right? They're "scattered" everywhere. Your computer takes time to located files if you say, for example, open a word document. Okay, let's say your computer's data is in one big cube. Your computer will look for the files faster if they're together. But if a block of data is here and there, the computer will take more time to look for them. So I would say it's best to defragment your drive, to get the bits and chuncks of data together so your computer will run "faster". I usually defragment my drive around a week or so.

>Just a side note, I would not recommend the built-in Windows default Defragmentor. It's slow, and it takes up memory. I would suggest some third-party utilities. Auslogics for example. >:D

funkmeister99
2008-04-22, 09:24
There's a problem...

:(

www.wikipedia.org doesn't work.

Firefox says something about file "/" not being found or something.

Anyone else get this problem (happened around the update, did scan for viruses, none found)?

A page didn't upload correctly either until I refreshed it. (The things on the side were missing)

drragostea
2008-04-22, 20:55
Hello... (sigh) wikipedia.org does not work now? Well it works fine with me. You probably have a connection problem? Go the Mozilla Firefox preferences. Check the content tabs... make sure all four of the boxes are checked. If the "load images automatically" is disabled, that might be the reason why the images are not loading correctly. Does other pages on the Internet work... eg. Google, Yahoo!, MSN, etc.?

funkmeister99
2008-04-24, 06:57
They're all checked, and it's not a connection problem.

When I type in:

en.wikipedia.org or kr.wikipedia.org it works fine.

Soon afterwards, I search something, and then it opens it up as always.

The only problem here is, the side things aren't there, the other languages, the search box, etc. The pictures and text are there.

If I refresh it, then it starts working properly.

drragostea
2008-04-24, 18:26
Well, it doesn't seem to be a connection problem them... because everything on the page was fine after a refresh (Wikipedia). (scratches head). Eh. Can you run a virus/spyware scan. I would suggest you run a Kaspersky online scan with IE. Later with Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20 (latest updates) and Superantipsyware. I'm suggesting this... because we're jumping from subject to subject... first it was something wrong with your monitor. You go paranoid about Kaspersky... You also go paranoid... by scanning "72 times" in one day... then you probably deleted that was safe... Now the page woudl not load correctly, without a due refresh. I'm not trying to criticize you or anything. It's just that you have to be specific. You have to tell me in detail. The greater the detail... a better chance that there'll be a solution.

funkmeister99
2008-04-25, 02:11
I don't now what Superantispyware is, nor did I scan with it, but with

Kaspersky and Spybot S&D (Latest updates from Safer Networking #1) I received no spyware or viruses.

I'm switching from place to place, because I use both on my mother's computer, and her computer is the one with 3 Trojans.. um.. I think a P2P worm, and lots more.

I wanted to scan all of it without skipping as Kaspersky seems to do, to see if there were other parts with viruses.

I'm on my computer now, if I go back to my mother's computer, I'll say so.

drragostea
2008-04-25, 02:25
Didn't I just tell you what Superantispyware is?! It's an anti-spyware program... much like Spybot-SD. Well, I can't help you because at the moment we not going anywhere... more like a circle. Okay... :sad: specify your problem... think carefully before posting another reply. Do not dwell on your mother's computer. Specify your cause... after that. I'll see how I may help.

funkmeister99
2008-04-25, 07:59
The first problem was if Kaspersky scans all of them, the response was it skips them because it had a good reason to.

I'm just wondering if there's a way to not make it do that because yes, I am paranoid.

As for the computer acting weird thing, that is my computer.

My computer, hasn't been doing things "correctly." to define weird.

I was typing a document on Microsoft Word with no spacing, and suddenly it jumps a whole line.

Yes, Microsoft Word jumped a line, and just continued on. I went back to redo it of course, but it remained there.

I did check Format -> Paragraph, and it was not changed.

That's a weird thing my computer did.

After then, you recommended to scan with those things, and therefore I did. My computer brought up nothing.

In fear of hidden viruses, I'm hoping Kaspersky can scan all files.

honda12
2008-04-25, 08:30
Hi funkmeister99,

Scanning your computer excessive amount of times is unnecessary (even if you are paranoid! :laugh:)

Most security experts advice that you scan your computer 1-2 times a week.

Your excessive scanning may be doing more harm than good, as some 'heavy' scanning can put strain on your computer's hard drive, and because hard drives have moving parts - it could shorten your hard drives life unnecessarily.

Remember, just because you scan loads of times, doesn't mean that you will be fully protected. Your security software plays a part in protection, but the best protection comes from your head.

Use your common sense!

honda12

drragostea
2008-04-25, 18:15
I much agree with honda12. Now that you "specified" your problem... I can help you... Both a firewall and Anti-virus are crucial when you are using the Internet (even more crucial when you have DSL!). Kaspersky says that some files are locked because Windows have locked them by default. They may be critical boot-up, hibernation, etc. files. They are locked for a reason. What you are saying about scanning the locked files is like... force removing the built-in Internet Explorer on a Windows Operating System. As for the Microsoft Word... I do not know about that. A glitch? A bug? I cannot be sure. But what I am sure is that your computer may be compromised if you open a "infected" word/office document. Even a e-mail attachment will do. Like a said a good,robust firewall and AV. eg: AVG 8.0 Free, Antivir, avast! are good examples of Anti-virus. I would prefer AVG the most. Third-party firewall are ZoneAlarm and Comodo (well-known). I use ZoneAlarm.

>Finally use Superantispyware. It's an anti-spyware program!!! It scans for uncommons". If you get my drift. Rootkits, adware, spyware, malware, badware, trojans... you name it. Now I just hope this gets into your head. :snorkle:

funkmeister99
2008-04-25, 22:24
Alright, thanks to you both.

The only reason I scan many times, is because even when I do not use the internet, two or three spyware things come up:

live365.com - or something of that sort
that oneline.meta - comes up at unknown times, never use internet, comes up
Adware_MemWatch - 99 ADware_MemWatch's come up, when I don't even use the internet, may also be coming from Kaspersky's Online Scan (not the scan itself, but teh advertisement at teh bottom, not sure, possibly wrong).

I didn't know Hard Drives had a life.

I didn't mean 72 times in 24 hours, it's of course less than that. But, I'll try for only after I use the internet, or before I login to something I use money on.

Thanks to you both.

drragostea
2008-04-26, 02:43
Alright... so the results you listed is from Superantispyware? Have you deleted the infections? If so... I'll assume your computer will be running smoothly... by this I mean without spyware intervention. So to add some finishing touches... defragment your C:/ drive... and run Disk Cleanup from your Accessories folder.

funkmeister99
2008-04-26, 06:05
My computer always runs smoothly, they just pop out of nowhere.

Just a moment ago, I was about to pay my bills, and I did a quick scan, 99 Adware_MemWatch's just popped up. I went directly to the bank website too. 3 Minutes before that, I did a scan, and nothing came out.

Thank you for the tips to fix the problem.

drragostea
2008-04-26, 06:13
What pops out of nowhere?

>Btw, pay your bills and other important financial importances on a clean computer. Obviously your computer is still "un-clean". In other words... still infected.

funkmeister99
2008-04-27, 05:36
When I scan, the Adware's come out of nowhere.

I'm assuming it's "Internet Explorer" because whenever I open that up, 99 Adware_MemWatch's always pop up (by pop up I mean show up on the scan).

Even when I kaspersky scan, they come up, or any other time I use IE they come up.

I usually use Firefox, except for my Kaspersky scans, and when I do use Firefox, they don't come up.

honda12
2008-04-27, 13:05
Hi funkmeister99,

I recommend you get your computer cleaned of all the malware that may be on your system. Please post to the Malware Removal forum where a helper will guide you through the process of removing any malware you have:

- Please read this before you post in the Malware Removal Forum ---> "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

- Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) where a helper will advise you when available

honda :)

drragostea
2008-04-27, 19:08
Well as how I see it, this situation is going no where. I would suggest you follow honda12's suggestion.

...And obviously there is something wrong with your computer.

funkmeister99
2008-04-28, 08:01
I've already attempted that.

This was going on for a long time, only when I open Internet Explorer.

When I do post it, Steam (the malware removal helper) sees it and says there is no malware.

But then again, people do say Firefox is safer than IE. Maybe Firefox blocks those adware's or something.

I'm only scared if those Adware things see my passwords and such.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem. Funny how we go from Kaspersky not scanning everything to Adware removal and talk.

drragostea
2008-04-28, 09:06
Well, technically, Mozilla Firefox is a better browser. It has enhanced security, multiple tabs, bookmarks, you name it, all sorts of goodies. What I do not like about Internet Explorer (Even IE7) is because many malware arthurs target vulnerable users. Besides IE took some of the features from Firefox :sick:. I'm not that familiar with Opera though, although it takes up less space than Firefox. However, Firefox 3 is coming out with fresh start. Anti-malware engine, faster loading pages than FF2, anti-phising, many performance stabilities and tweaks, and many more.

Basically funkmeister99... to answer you question about Kaspersky... the files are locked for a certain reason... But it's safe... its not something you should worry about. And btw Stop being paranoid.

funkmeister99
2008-04-29, 03:49
Gracias.

But I will never stop being paranoid. I'm paranoid on my computer and in real life. I've seen infected computers before, and those are screwed up bad...

I don't want my private data stolen, and my mom's computer is worse than mine. I mean...bad...

But she doesn't care.

To prove how paranoid I am...

I never had a girlfriend (not afraid to admit it).

honda12
2008-04-29, 21:23
For my detailed ramble about how bad Internet Explorer is please read: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=146776&postcount=18 :)

For the full thread (posted by Tom.K): http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=21314

drragostea
2008-04-30, 01:13
funkmeister99. You being paranoid... I can accept that. :) But you can believe this. With basic computer experience... I have cleaning my aunt's computer which was infected with Virtuemonde and Smitfraud. With another whole dozen of rootkits and spyware. But I have never requested help in the malware forum. This cleaning took months... and it took time, effort, and persistence. I have cleaned it... tweaked her HP Windows XP Home and make it like it was new from the store.

The point is that, when you have a chance to clean it... clean it. Be persistent. As drragostea, I'm 13 and attending Junior High School. Soon to move to High School. But being young (not afraid to admit :cowboy: ) doesn't mean you can't... try. This is how I saw it. If you can't try one way, try another. If it doesn't work, be persistent.

But just overall, if you need anything else. Just ask funkmeister. Just post on the fourms. If you do, and I have the time. I'll look for it.