PDA

View Full Version : Oasis No More - My Experience

honda12
2008-04-12, 18:44
Just a little off topic...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj115/ilovehobnobs/oasisnomore.jpg
The story starts 3 weeks ago at London Gatwick Airport. My family and I were boarding an Oasis flight to Hong Kong. We had heard rumors about Oasis being a bad airline, but we thought if we had a bad experience we could always use a different airline next time - and besides Oasis is cheap!

The flight was surprisingly good. "we should fly to Hong Kong with Oasis every time!" (we go to hong kong quite frequently - love it!)
I read the in-flight magazine and read all the articles - one of which was about a pilot who came over from British Airways to work with Oasis. He said something like "I love to work in a young airline that will grow in the future"
(I now feel sorry for that pilot! :laugh:)

I also now regret not buying that Oasis watch from the in-flight store!

The magazine had maps showing how Oasis were planning to expand by flying to many different places and how they were going to buy new planes.

We arrived in Hong Kong happy and surprised by the great service.

3 weeks and a great holiday later...

It was a second from last day in Hong Kong and we were shopping in some markets when we got a phone call from a relative.

"Oh, did you hear that Oasis went into liquidation? It was on the news"

"WHAT!!?"
:spider::spider:

At first I thought it was some kind of joke! Nah, it wouldn't happen to us. An airline can't just shut down like that. Hahaha, an airline shutting down the day before we are due to fly back to England! Hah! Rubbish! :clown:

I was excited aswell - yay, I get to stay in HK a little longer!

Watching the next news bulletin confirmed a mild, slightly happy, nightmare (not a worst nightmare - ive been through worse :laugh:)

Anyway, we called the hotline............it was engaged.............ok try again.........hmmm engaged again..........

and we called non stop for hours! Finally we got through. The guy said that we had to fax our passports through....fax?!

We don't have a fax machine! Anyway we went to a relatives house and emailed it instead.

We were not going to fly back with Oasis, instead we took advantage of the "super economy - one way fare (for stranded Oasis passengers)" created by Oasis's biggest rival Cathay Pacific (to show that they "care")

:buried: <----Oasis

Obviously the special fare costs money - way more than Oasis.

But what was even worse than the extra cost now was that the flight was only one hour after our originally planned Oasis flight! :spider:

While all the other stranded passengers were thinking "got to get back as quickly as possible!", we were thinking "One hour! - they could have let us stay for just one more little day" :mad:

I went to the nearest seven eleven (they are everywhere!) and bought a paper.

30,000 STRANDED

The following day we caught went to the airport and checked in with the "special" cathay pacific desk that had a poorly printed A4 sign taped to a barrier.

We had a couple of hours to kill so we we spent them trying to find any trace of Oasis:

-The model areoplanes in the toy shop window? - nope nothing Oasis in there!
-The Oasis check in desk - nope, nothing - it seems that Oasis is the latest victim in the new series of "without a trace"!

The only Oasis thing that we found was in an airport leaflet explaining where each airline is (or for Oasis - was) located in what terminal.

We boarded the flight and flew back to England (unhappily) - The Cathay Pacific service was rubbish! But I suppose "what you read is what you get" - heh "super economy"!

So I sat in a tiny seat with no legroom, next to a fat man (who I felt even more sorry for) for 12 hours.

We arrived back at London Heathrow airport. Hmmm, back in England...

A happy story....

Hey! Wait! You said you arrived back at London Heathrow! A mistake?

Ah yes, I nearly forgot. We flew out to HK from Gatwick and we flew back to Heathrow.We had left the car with a friend who lived near Gatwick. So he had to drive all the way to Heathrow.

Ok thats it....the end of my Oasis experience! (except the 3 hour drive back home! :laugh:)

"It was the first time we flew with Oasis...and it was also the last time we flew with them!"

"Unfortunately your insurance policy doesn't cover you in the event of an airline going bankrupt"

- A true story by honda12

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-12, 20:04
honda12:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

... (I now feel sorry for that pilot! :laugh:) ...
Don't necessarily feel sorry for the pilot, something made him move from British Airways. Maybe the bankruptcy partially the pilot's fault because they were paying him too much.

drragostea
2008-04-12, 20:09
Ah. Quite some story honda12. Of course I believe you :). I have never flew with Oasis before, but I have with Cathy Pacific, I was going to Hong Kong too. The service was alright, but however the food was plain bull. It was sickening just to look at it. Of course, Cathy would not even offer their customers blankets to keep them warm during the nighttime. *sigh* I had a 30 min wait after arrival at the airport just to check our passports. I liked my trip to Hong Kong, but the trip on the plane was disappointing. >:D:rolleyes: