PDA

View Full Version : Infection via thumbdrive?

drragostea
2008-04-26, 03:03
Just a quick question. Say for example, you plug your "clean" flashdrive into a computer infected the Virtumonde, Smitfraud, and several other rootkits and trojans. You copy a image from the infected computer to your thumbdrive. If you would plug it into your a clean computer, would the infection from the infected computer infect the clean computer?

tashi
2008-04-26, 03:31
J If you would plug it into your a clean computer, would the infection from the infected computer infect the clean computer?
Quite possible. We see a lot of people who have been assisted in cleaning up an infected machine only to reinfect it using a thumbdrive.

drragostea
2008-04-26, 04:19
Thanks, but just another question came to mind tashi. Say... what I said about the infected computer with Virtumonde and Smitfraud... I would burn some images from the infected to a blank CD. Then I would play the CD on a clean home computer... Would my PC get infected compared to the thumbdrive? Thanks tashi.

tashi
2008-04-26, 06:39
Hi drragostea,

Say... what I said about the infected computer with Virtumonde and Smitfraud... I would burn some images from the infected to a blank CD. Then I would play the CD on a clean home computer... Would my PC get infected compared to the thumbdrive? .

If the PC is infected by Virtumonde and Smitfraud it has been compromised, there may be other malware installed also.
Without an analysis one couldn't give an informed response. :snorkle:

drragostea
2008-04-26, 18:01
Well tashi, I'm not really talking about the analysis and all that. Let's just say this is the situation: the computer has been confirmed it is compromised. Malware/virus scans came up with several backdoors and trojans horses. Alright thats the setting. What I'm saying is that what if I burn something on the infected PC... a song for example. Can a malware "burn" its code into the CD as I'm burning the song. So if I run the CD on a clean computer... the clean computer will also be infected?

little eagle
2008-04-29, 05:29
What I'm saying is that what if I burn something on the infected PC... a song for example. Can a malware "burn" its code into the CD as I'm burning the song. So if I run the CD on a clean computer... the clean computer will also be infected?
It may be possible with the new types of infections but I have not heard of them doing that as of yet. ;)

EDIT:
Let me know if it does

drragostea
2008-04-29, 23:59
Ah. Then I'm assuming it'll be safe compared to direct file transfer via flash drive. Thanks little eagle. Your information is much appreciated. :bigthumb:

little eagle
2008-04-30, 03:49
Your welcome :cowboy:

Greyfox
2008-04-30, 13:17
drragostea

I seem to recall a case some time ago involving Sony where if memory serves me correctly some of their music CD's were discovered to be covertly installing antipiracy software on any PC they were played on.

In my book anything copied from a known compromised PC, whether it is to a floppy, a flash drive, a CD or a DVD should be treated with caution.

tashi
2008-04-30, 17:05
I seem to recall a case some time ago involving Sony where if memory serves me correctly some of their music CD's were discovered to be covertly installing antipiracy software on any PC they were played on.

Your memory serves you well. ;)

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=174

drragostea
2008-05-01, 01:01
Thanks, Greyfox. I recall that too... but it just did not come up... Can you tell me specifically what disc installed the rootkit? And thank you tashi and Greyfox. I appreciate your help. :cowboy:

Greyfox
2008-05-02, 09:29
Can you tell me specifically what disc installed the rootkit?

drragostea,
Lots of different disks apparently, if you read right through the Tashi's link you will get a better idea.

drragostea
2008-05-02, 21:39
Well apparently, the link to the sysinternals was deleted. But what I don't understand is what DRM software is.

tashi
2008-05-02, 21:58
But what I don't understand is what DRM software is.

Hello,

Google has a lot of hits on DRM software. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

drragostea
2008-05-02, 23:10
Thanks tashi. I plan to avoid Sony discs in the future >:D