PDA

View Full Version : Would you prefer Windows XP or a dish of Vista?

drragostea
2008-04-26, 20:23
Although this topic may sound outdated... I just wanted to know. I'm tempted to purchase Home Premium for home use... and with all the enhancements and performance improvements, I'm just planning to switch to Vista. What do others think? :santa:

honda12
2008-04-26, 21:53
I have a vista home premium laptop and a xp desktop, and I actually prefer the vista laptop. Overall I think my vista experience has been quite good - Ive only had a couple of driver issues :police:

Since I now use my vista laptop as my primary machine, I don't really use the desktop. Out of boredom I turned it on - and saw how 'different' it was. Ive had some issues with it so I decided to install ubuntu (due to the recent release of 'hardy heron')

Wow, I was amazed with ubuntu :bigthumb: Everything in Ubuntu is so integrated - for example, for my router to work on windows I needed to install the software (and then uninstall all of the junkware that came with it just to leave the software I want!) where as in ubuntu - I just went to firefox and it worked (I didn't need to install anything)

Anyway, vista works well - but for it to run smoothly I'd recommend getting 2GB or more of ram (especially if you want to use aero)

tashi
2008-04-26, 22:52
Vista Premium and Ultimate for me.

I still have XP Pro on an older laptop, but only because I can't upgrade it due to a problem that lays within an Intel chip.

drragostea
2008-04-26, 23:35
Ah. (sigh) Well, I won't be getting another desktop until the Summer :sad:. Ever heard of a computer with 4 GB of RAM?

Zenobia
2008-04-27, 00:27
I much prefer Vista to XP.I still have a desktop with XP,but hardly ever use it anymore.

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-04-28, 06:46
XP, it's much easier to navigate. Vista has a lot of nice new features which I really like, but I'm really stuck now. Despite spending a year on Vista and restraining myself from using XP, I am very lost. :sad:

Ever heard of a computer with 4 GB of RAM?

Yes, but it will probably not show the full 4GB on 32-bit machine. It's basically a limitation of 32-bit computers. I've got a 64-bit computer, but never fully utilize it.

If you can adapt to changes fast, getting used to Vista isn't too hard.

drragostea
2008-04-28, 08:10
Ah, I see. I'm starting to like Vista already... but I'm not sure if I want a Vista Home Premium desktop or labtop. I heard that desktops have a longer life than labtops. But for now Vista's gotta wait to the Summer. For now I'm waiting for FF3 and Windows XP SP3 :bigthumb:.

chewdz
2008-04-28, 10:25
i thought that vista was the SP3 of XP. heard my friend saying that. i prefer vista ultimate. the features are nice but require more superior graphics and better comp specs.:santa:

chewdz
2008-04-28, 10:35
found an article on the overview of the Windows XP Service pack 3
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=9&p=2&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3d68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110%26displaylang%3den

drragostea
2008-04-28, 21:50
Well apparently, Windows Vista OS is not the SP3 of Windows XP. Your friend got it wrong. Service packs are so called "upgrades" and enhancements and tweaks. The reason for Service packs is to patch the "holes" in the system and make it run smoother. Thanks for the link though.

I plan to get Vista Home Premium because Ultimate is too expensive for me :P, and I would us the desktop for word processing and web.

tashi
2008-04-28, 23:58
I plan to get Vista Home Premium because Ultimate is too expensive for me :P, and I would us the desktop for word processing and web.

Premium is on one of my own machines and I like it just fine. :)

chewdz
2008-04-29, 08:50
premium is the version that i wanted to buy to upgrade my current Windows 200 pro. does it require clean installation or i can just upgrade the OS straight away? is a dvd-rom drive also needed?

tashi
2008-04-29, 08:59
Hello chewdz,

This link will help you decide the best route to take for your machine.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradepaths.mspx

Cheers,

chewdz
2008-04-29, 12:29
thx tashi for the link. but i still dont know whether i have to buy a dvd drive jus to install the OS into my computer. anyway, thx for the help.:santa:

tashi
2008-04-29, 17:30
Hi there,

Did you run Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx), it scans your computer and gives a list of requirements and cautions before one installs Vista.

That includes hardware and software.

Best regards.

echo1
2008-04-30, 03:10
At the moment for me XP pro is doing just great so I dont want to even try Vista lest I make the mistake of getting tempted and abandon XP pro

drragostea
2008-04-30, 03:57
Would anyone consider the Vista Transformation Pack? Does it contain malicious codes or viruses that will harm my computer? Thanks for any tips.

chewdz
2008-04-30, 08:00
Did you run Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx), it scans your computer and gives a list of requirements and cautions before one installs Vista.

i cant run the advisor as it only works for XP and above. any others ways to check on my computer on the requirements for vista?

tashi
2008-04-30, 09:07
Hi there,

i cant run the advisor as it only works for XP and above. any others ways to check on my computer on the requirements for vista?

That's correct. :oops:

At the same link I provided above another page shows:

System Requirements
Windows Vista recommended system requirements

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB of system memory
40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
WDDM Driver
128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
32 bits per pixel
DVD-ROM drive (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/ordercd.mspx)
Audio Output
Internet access (fees may apply)Windows Vista minimum supported system requirements

Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Ultimate

* 800 MHz processor and 512 MB of system memory
* 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for Super VGA graphics
* CD-ROM drive

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx

Windows 2000 will require a clean install of Vista.

Best regards.

chewdz
2008-04-30, 09:10
thx tashi for the information. now i can upgrade to vista without any worries!

drragostea
2008-05-01, 00:58
Would anyone consider the Vista Transformation Pack? Does it contain malicious codes or viruses that will harm my computer? Thanks for any tips.

:fear:...

honda12
2008-05-01, 08:53

The vista transformation pack is free of any malware - but installing it slows down your computer a lot.

You will have to decide between a: productive or 'shiny' :eek: machine

drragostea
2008-05-02, 00:35
Thanks honda12, :cowboy:. I had version 8 a few weeks ago. However, I just installed it, stripped of the 3rd party extensions. I would avoid them, because not only does it take up RAM, start-up "spaces", and it just looks horrible in the GUI. The majority of them are still in beta. I might plan to install the next version, but I am doubtful. :fear:.

Just skeptical, because McAfee Siteadvisor rated {www.windowsxlive.net} as a red "dangerous" site. I would use McAfee, because the LinkScanner that came with AVG 8.0 Free rated it green... futile. >;P.

McAfee Site Details:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/windowsxlive.net?domain=windowsxlive.net&ref=safesearch&client_ver=FF_26.5_6261&locale=en-US&premium=false&aff_id=0

angie1313
2008-05-08, 22:27
I am still stubbornly working with an XP and refuse to go to Vista as long as possible...I may even..(gulp)...buy a MAC just to avoid Vista

honda12
2008-05-08, 22:39
I am still stubbornly working with an XP and refuse to go to Vista as long as possible...I may even..(gulp)...buy a MAC just to avoid Vista

heh, you either love it or you hate it!

drragostea
2008-05-09, 04:41
Ahahas. Mac is getting more sophisticating by the week. Now the iMac is now thinner than before. With Superdrives, hi-resolution monitors, and all that tech stuff. Lols, I found iMac to be unique because the monitor and desktop is all in one screen. The keyboard and the mouse looks pretty good. I wanted one of those keyboards. It's so flextible... :cowboy:.