PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Line across screen

maltd
2008-04-29, 23:48
i have a horizontal line across my screen about a third of the way down. it's been there for a few weeks now but it comes and goes. It looks like it's a remnant of another screen? it's very narrow, less than a mm.

any ideas?

drragostea
2008-04-30, 01:01
I don't think it would bother me if it was less than 1 millimeter.

Perhaps a screen problem or graphics card? When did it start?

maltd
2008-04-30, 04:41
it started about a month ago

you'd be suprised how annoying it is.

i did have a malware problem that happened around this time also. something got in took control of my desktop background settings. i got this solved. Just wondering if it could be to do with malware?

alternatively my lap top has taken a couple of fairly hefty knocks. but i didn't notice it immediately after either them.

appreciate your help

confused kiwi

tashi
2008-04-30, 05:15
Hello,

it started about a month ago

you'd be suprised how annoying it is.

Troubleshooting an irritating line on my flat screen I can sympathize.

alternatively my lap top has taken a couple of fairly hefty knocks. but i didn't notice it immediately after either them.

Knock as in dropped? How soon did the line appear after the first and second accident.

Also, which vendor made the laptop and what size screen is it.

drragostea
2008-04-30, 05:17
Hi kiwi. When you say knocked... you mean dropped on the floor?

maltd
2008-04-30, 23:24
yes i have dropped it. it was in a neoprene case and it landed flat. there were no ill effects after that. that's what confuses me, this problem started about a month ago and i dropped it about 6 months ago.

i now think it is a physical screen problem as i compressed the lcd with my finger on the edge of the line and it went away.

i will live with it if this is the case, i was just concerned it was some kind of malware and thought that someone might have heard of it.

drragostea
2008-05-01, 01:25
Well hahas, I never heard of a malware problem doing that... but it is most likely to be a screen problem. Not a graphic card problem. I've seen LCD monitors (HDTV for example), being knocked down or "injured" so in result comes a huge ugly rainbow splat on the screen. Which was un-reverse -able. lols. However, I have heard about a problem where if a malware infected computer was infected, and the user attempted to install a Graphics Card update, the screen will be all... well I will say it like when a Television has NO SIGNAL that kind of screen. Not quite but similar. It was like running on a 8-color resolution.

But, maltd, do not worry it's not a malware problem. No need to be concerned. :cowboy:

bitman
2008-05-01, 08:48
You have what is called a row failure, which can occur due to failed row driver hardware, but sounds like a simple loose connection in your situation. Unfortunately, these are almost impossible to fix in most cases, since the loose connection is actually part of the entire screen assembly.

Generally the only fix is to replace the entire LCD panel, which is usually more expensive than a new laptop.

Bitman

drragostea
2008-05-02, 00:36
@bitman. Reading your explaination... I guess it may be the only way to fix it...