PDA

View Full Version : How?

drragostea
2008-05-07, 02:08
I am using an outdated version of a Media Player called InterVideo WinDVD for VAIO (it came with my reformat). It is outdated, because the latest version is version 8. I would like to know how this dated version may affect my computer. Also, will I "pick" up any baddies (viruses, malware, etc.)? Thanks.

tashi
2008-05-07, 06:07
It is outdated, because the latest version is version 8. I would like to know how this dated version may affect my computer. Also, will I "pick" up any baddies (viruses, malware, etc.)? Thanks.

Hi drragostea,

I gather you can't update to the latest version?

Corel Releases Important Update for InterVideo WinDVD (http://www.intervideo.co.jp/download/updata/info/sny_english.html)

Today Corel Corporation is releasing an important new security update for InterVideo WinDVD. Corel has taken this step in response to recent reports that hackers have illegally obtained certain software licensing keys and have used them to duplicate copyrighted content without prior authorization. Corel takes this situation very seriously and has been working closely with its OEM partners and AACS LA to ensure it takes the steps necessary to prevent copyright infringement from happening in the future. By downloading Corel’s free update, you will be able to continue to enjoy the latest BD content, while ensuring that copyrighted materials are properly protected.
Please be aware that failure to apply the update will result in AACS-protected BD playback being disabled.
You will require the update if you are using the following BD versions of WinDVD:
InterVideo WinDVD BD for VAIO Ver. 7.5.43.197 or former versions
InterVideo WinDVD BD for VAIO Ver. 8.0.08.58- Ver. 8.0.08.70Cheers

drragostea
2008-05-08, 01:03
Ah. Darn. I cannot find the update for the program. And I do not want to download the version 8 (trial;around 110-121MB), just to watch a movie. It seems that, if I do not have WinDVD installed, Windows Media Player will not playback a DVD. Just one question I would like to be answered. How will this dated version of this program affect my computer? Like a vulnerability? Thanks, tashi. :cowboy:

Edit: Oh btw, I cannot find a default (built-in) updater for the WinDVD program. Thanks.

shelf life
2008-05-08, 01:47
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

drragostea
2008-05-08, 03:05
Hello, shelf life. :bow: You are the best, lols! Thanks so much for the suggestion. It can play fine. :2thumb:

Edit: *sigh, but just one problem. I attempted to minimize and then maximize the window. However, once I maximized it... the screen was blank. No moving pictures. The audio was fine though.

shelf life
2008-05-09, 00:13
hi,

However, once I maximized it... the screen was blank. No moving pictures. The audio was fine though.
don't know really, never experienced that problem.

drragostea
2008-05-09, 04:43
Hrm. It is fine. Thank you for your help, shelf life. All it matters is that the program can play DVDs. WMP 11 just told me that I was missing a DVD Decoder. I'm assuming this did not come with my VAIO reformat. With WinDVD, WMP 11 can play fine.

Urbane.Tiger
2008-05-09, 10:38
You could run it past Secunia's Personal Software Inspector - http://secunia.com/software_inspector/

It's probably the best independent source for this sort of stuff - its also a "nice" tool to have in ones kit bag.

drragostea
2008-05-09, 22:47
@tiger. Thanks, but no thanks. I shall stick with VLC Player. But I don't see how Secunia may find the update. I couldn't find it the update. I was only directed to Sony Support.

Urbane.Tiger
2008-05-10, 02:43
I think I fixed the problem of using WMP for DVD's with the XVid codecs, they are free, that much I know, can't recall where I got them - not via MS I know that.

XVid might be worth remembering for when FLV chokes on something, which they all do eventually. I had FLV choke on a .mov - works OK in QT, but FLV wont have a bar of it, haven't solved that yet. Prefer FLV over QT for 'mov,s, far less bloat, but I use WinAmp for most other things - I think sound quality is better, other's will disagree.

I still maintain that Secunia PSI has a role to play in ensuring that your system is not running software that has known vulnerabilities and in identifying eol products. It alerted me to the recently discovered hole in Flash, several days before anything else - including Adobe.

drragostea
2008-05-10, 04:12
I've downloaded RC1 of Secunia for a test drive, and it gave me poor results. To clarify that... I just did not like Secunia's software.

Urbane.Tiger
2008-05-10, 04:53
fair e'nuf

cheers

ps : any thoughts on this spyberus software, should one have it or an equivalent

drragostea
2008-05-10, 17:15
#
# Remediates all types of malware programs with a greater than 99 percent success rate.

Well, according to robot genius there's a whole bunch of details. The 99% success rate is what I'm skeptical about. It looks more like rogue program to me. But I mean that's how I look at it. I do not have any opinions because I have never heard of this software or even try it. My computer uses AVG and ZoneAlarm Free. SpywareBlaster, Spybot-SD, and Superantispyware. Surely that'll catch at least 90% of the malware/trojan (with the exception of SpywareBlaster because it does not scan for it). I don't know about Spyberus.