PDA

View Full Version : Migration to AVG 7.5

drragostea
2008-05-08, 07:31
I'm considering "migrating" to back from AVG 8.0 to 7.5. Considering the heavy system memory usage by "avgrsx.exe" by AVG 8.0, I think it might be worth the try.

2008-05-10, 06:36
that did that with avg. But, i use avast and find it much better. :) check it out ;)

honda12
2008-05-10, 14:25
yeah, I did the same as 129260 - except I never actually upgraded to AVG 8.0!

Good Luck with the migration :bigthumb:

drragostea
2008-05-10, 17:23
@honda12, 129260. Ah yikes. Yea, it's tempting. Just like the moment when you see a major upgrade for a program. It's tempting cause it's more now like downgrading the program. Ugh. The updates are horrible. It's slow and like I mentioned earlier, avgrsx.exe, takes 30 MB of RAM on bootup, well you can say like just a minute of usage on the PC, and around 50 MB at peak if you had the PC on for an hour or so.

What I dislike about Mozilla Firefox 2 is the heavy memory usage. Say like you're viewing pages in color with text. Simple. One tab= 40MB. 3 tabs w/ Flash (animated images).=120 MB. How disappointing. Just like OpenOffice.org when I used it for a Powerpoint presentation... :sad: and it took time to even convert to PP format.

2008-05-10, 19:02
but the new firefox 3 coming out will fix those issues :) Also, avast out of all antiviruis apps i have tested, it uses the least amount of memory usage. :) I'm trying to tempt you lol. But seriously, check out avast, if you like it, stick with it, if not go back to avg with whatever version you want to use. Avast automatically updates, and updates even on dial up in less then 20 seconds. It also now includes anti rootkit and antispyware protection along with the anti-viruis protection. :) It's free lol. I am going to soon by the professional to support the company. Anyways, think about it. ;)

drragostea
2008-05-10, 21:10
Aye. Hahas, you are tempting me 129260. Maybe I'll try Avast. You know when your computer's cooling system makes a lot of noise when you run CPU-heavy applications. Yup. Even when now I typing a response, with a tab in Firefox, my VAIO continuously "cools" down. I last check avgrsx.exe and it was using around 50 MB of RAM. *sigh. I do not plan to migrate to AVG 7.5, but I'll consider into Avast!. Ugh. But the GUI is horrible! :sick: Any way to change the user interface 129260? Thanks.

drragostea
2008-05-10, 21:26
You got me there 129260. I'm migrating to Avast! 4.8. It has more features than AVG 8.0 and is light of system resources. Avast!.

drragostea
2008-05-10, 22:57
The previous posts were prior to when I install Avast! 4.8. Avast!... is a great way to make your desktop hang. Screw up your Windows Security Center. And a great way to make you frustrated and confused.:cowboy: After installing Avast! and restarting (uninstall AVG 8.0 Free). Avast! began to update. And that was when things became worse. Arg! My Security Center told me that ZoneAlarm was not turned on and Avast was outdated, when though when both of them were turned on and updated. I decided to stick with AVG 8.0. It's for the best of my computer. :laugh: Now cleaning up and defragmenting my drive.

Personally, I found Avast! 4.8 complicated and worse than AVG 8.0. Sorrys. But that is my opinion. You should have seen my computer hang and just froze when Avast was active. :sad:

2008-05-11, 03:52
The previous posts were prior to when I install Avast! 4.8. Avast!... is a great way to make your desktop hang. Screw up your Windows Security Center. And a great way to make you frustrated and confused.:cowboy: After installing Avast! and restarting (uninstall AVG 8.0 Free). Avast! began to update. And that was when things became worse. Arg! My Security Center told me that ZoneAlarm was not turned on and Avast was outdated, when though when both of them were turned on and updated. I decided to stick with AVG 8.0. It's for the best of my computer. :laugh: Now cleaning up and defragmenting my drive.

Personally, I found Avast! 4.8 complicated and worse than AVG 8.0. Sorrys. But that is my opinion. You should have seen my computer hang and just froze when Avast was active. :sad:

REALLY?! Go to www.avast.com and download the free edition. When you install avast, disable spybot teatimer and zonealarm, and any other protection programs. Also, make sure there are no traces of avg left. Avg has a tendency to hide itself. ;) Restart and remove any traces of avg, restart again.

A simple way to change the interface is when you go to install avast, choose custom and uncheck "skins". then install.

try again my friend. at least, i hope you will. :)

drragostea
2008-05-11, 05:15
try again my friend. at least, i hope you will. :)

Thank you, 129260, for your sympathy. I have made a second attempt to download Avast! 4.8 from it's main servers, not from Download.com. However, this time I had a custom install. I had all the Resident Shields disabled except Network and Web Shield. I've also tried the Vista skin (avist) and it looked pretty good. Well, my friend, you were correct. Migration to Avast served me well as the Avast! process that had the most memory usage was 8MB. Great! However, I'm just adjusting around a bit. Mostly, around the navigation of the program. :cowboy:

129260, I would like to ask you a simple question. What Resident Shields do you have on when you installed it? Also, can you tell me what are the functions of the Web and Network Shield? I couldn't find the answer online. Perhaps you may help. Thanks.

:laugh: I think my PC hunged and was non-responsive because I had all the IM shield and e-mail shields on. I was bombard with confirmations from WinPatrol. Thanks.

drragostea
2008-05-11, 05:19
Also, basically to remove all traces of AVG, like you said I searched and removed all the folders that was related to AVG. However, i think there are still some registry keys lurking in my registry.

2008-05-11, 05:24
The main ones you want running are the web shield, which scans anything you download in the following browsers: Firefox, opera, Internet Explorer. It scans all webpages you go to, and when a infection is found, it ether aborts the Internet connection, or stops the bad download. It's pretty neat ;) The standard shield is what you want running out of all things. It scans all files you open and such for infection from a viruis, spyware, or rootkit. The network shield scans all network activity, like a lightweight firewall. The instant messenger provider scans common chat programs for any content you receive from them for infection. Look in the avast help file for more information, as it is quite thorough. :) it will say if you have all providers running 6 providers running out of 7. Thats because the one provider outlook requires outlook to be running to run the provider. It scans email programs like thunderbird and the like. :) Hope that helps you!! Let me know if you have any more questions.

2008-05-11, 05:26
Also, basically to remove all traces of AVG, like you said I searched and removed all the folders that was related to AVG. However, i think there are still some registry keys lurking in my registry.

high jack this to remove them. Or spybots registry checker ;)
just be careful. I wouldn't mess with it unless it causes avast to not function properly. ;)

drragostea
2008-05-11, 05:38
Grawr. I'm starting to like Avast! already. I was... I mean we were right. Migration proved positive for my PC. Lols. Migration. One problem. Windows Security Center does not detect... or it just says that Avast! reports that it is not turned on... :sad: I have that Red Shield on my taskbar next to the clock.

---
avast! anitvirus 4.8.1169 [VPS 080510-0] reports that it is turned off.
---

Exact message that I'm getting with Windows SP3. All updates (latest) is downloaded. It can't be a glitch or anything... can it? It happened two times already. When my PC hung cause I had all the Resident Shields on and now. With this new install, my PC did not hang... luckily.

drragostea
2008-05-11, 05:41
The standard shield is what you want running out of all things... It scans all files you open ...spyware, or rootkit.

Hello again. I was also wondering what you meant by the "standard shield". Thanks.

2008-05-11, 05:42
right click avast. click stop on access protection. then click yes when the box pops up. wait 1 minute. then right click avast icon and choose start on access protection. wait a bit. right click avast icon, go to update, and click program update. Also, in the program settings (found under right click of avast icon in notification area), if you have high speed tell its so, and make everything automatic update. :)
Also the standard shield is the main shield, the main provider of avast. Right click the avast icon near the clock and go to the help menu. Read it lol. It will help you alot, trust me. You can see what providers you have running by right clicking the avast icon in the system tray and choosing on access protection control. You can see all the providers there. I hope you installed all of them, if not go into add remove programs, click add remove on avast, and click change and add the providers you did not install. You can always disable a provider through the on access control that i talked about earlier if it should cause a problem. I recommend you perform a full boot scan. do this by running avast antiviruis. Choose tools when the menu comes up (i have no skins so mine might be different) then choose boot scan. And click schedule. Have you also went to the avast site and registered avast with your email and you have the key? its free.. just register and enter the key. the whole program will then run without limitation.

drragostea
2008-05-11, 06:05
Hahs. Thanks for the tip. I haven't plan to disable the protection. Not even for a minute! :laugh: But, I'll look in the Add/Remove Program's change option. Oh, btw, I registered already. Personally, I think Avast! is neat. It has a more comprehensive detail about the programs components. Also it has received a lot of rewards. Lols, avast! caught the eicar (not a virus) test file just the second I clicked on the download it. I told it to abort the connection, however I was still able to download the eicar.com file. avast! just has some more flexible options and includes rootkit scanning compared to AVG. AVG 8.0 only uses the anti-rootkit technology... sigh from March of 2007. I don't don't think it has been updated since.

I've also heard some talk about how avast does not scan for spyware. :sad: It's just rumors.

2008-05-11, 06:09
Hahs. Thanks for the tip. I haven't plan to disable the protection. Not even for a minute! :laugh: But, I'll look in the Add/Remove Program's change option. Oh, btw, I registered already. Personally, I think Avast! is neat. It has a more comprehensive detail about the programs components. Also it has received a lot of rewards. Lols, avast! caught the eicar (not a virus) test file just the second I clicked on the download it. I told it to abort the connection, however I was still able to download the eicar.com file. avast! just has some more flexible options and includes rootkit scanning compared to AVG. AVG 8.0 only uses the anti-rootkit technology... sigh from March of 2007. I don't don't think it has been updated since.

I've also heard some talk about how avast does not scan for spyware. :sad: It's just rumors.

and then restart it (turn it back on) to possible fix the security center issue ;) and that is not true about avast not scanning for spyware, it does, but only very critical ones, it has found spyware on my machine before, and deleted it effectively. It just does not have a wide database. :) Im very glad it's working good for you :)

drragostea
2008-05-11, 06:43
Eh. *shrug. The Security Center is still in red in the AV. I temporarily told it that I'll monitor it myself. Doesn't look so good.

2008-05-11, 19:20
Eh. *shrug. The Security Center is still in red in the AV. I temporarily told it that I'll monitor it myself. Doesn't look so good.

thats really weird, it works fine in my security center. :red:

drragostea
2008-05-12, 01:26
Oh. Well, like I said before. I haven't tried turning Avast! off, yet. How do I do that? like turning off the Resident Shields?

Also, another question. I don't know what avast! scans for. I set it for a thorough scan and it came up with like statistics... no results. Darn.

2008-05-12, 04:47
i would not use skins. They just confuse you. When i installed avast, i did not install any skins. Its much easier that way. Try with no skins. Avast scans for primarily viruses, then root kits, and some spyware. Also, i said to right click the avast icon in the notification area, the little blue ball with an "A" on it. click stop on access protection. then wait a bit. then right click it again and choose start on access protection. :)

READ THE HELP FILE!! lol ;) You will find it under start-all programs. Then click avast antiviruis-click help. LOL. :) ;) :)

drragostea
2008-05-12, 06:23
Personally, I use avist because of it's slick, "aero" skin. I learned how to navigate now. However, I have tried your "turning off and on access protection" and yet no change.

Arg!!! It's so complex. Much more than AVG 8.0. T.T

2008-05-12, 21:28
Personally, I use avist because of it's slick, "aero" skin. I learned how to navigate now. However, I have tried your "turning off and on access protection" and yet no change.

Arg!!! It's so complex. Much more than AVG 8.0. T.T

Maybe the avast forums can help you with your issue. :)

drragostea
2008-05-13, 00:08
Really, a forum. T.T But I'll have to go through the process of creating a account. *sigh. What I don't like about avast! is it's long updates. Much longer than AVG. It takes around 15 seconds just to get a response from avast. :sad:

drragostea
2008-05-13, 02:52
Ah. Avast! update just today.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-revision-history.html

Now the Windows Security Center works fine with the program "upgrade". :cowboy:

2008-05-13, 04:31
Ah. Avast! update just today.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-revision-history.html

Now the Windows Security Center works fine with the program "upgrade". :cowboy:

Cool! I think the updates are very fast, program updates are not bad at all i don't think. Make sure in avast you set all of them to automatic update and tell avast you are permanently connected to the Internet if your on high speed.

drragostea
2008-05-13, 21:51
Yep, I did that a long time ago. Just that avast! wasn't really on time with the program update. Well not "automatically". :cowboy:

2008-05-13, 23:56
Yep, I did that a long time ago. Just that avast! wasn't really on time with the program update. Well not "automatically". :cowboy:

Avast over time, when your using the least amount of bandwith, downloads program updates, so then over a couple of days it will then install the new update. Kind of like microsofts auto updates, it happens over time gradually. Program updates for avast anyway, reguler database updates happen as soon as there availiable because they are small. :)

drragostea
2008-05-14, 01:33
Sure no problem. :cowboy: It was nice talking to you.

2008-05-14, 01:38
see ya in the forums!!

drragostea
2008-05-14, 02:04
Hahas. Sure. 450 posts. :cowboy:

drragostea
2008-05-14, 02:05
Hahas, you're still using SP2. As indicated in your signature. Just a ditto. 760 MB of RAM is nice. Smooth running computer. Mine has a lot less :cowboy:.

2008-05-14, 02:08
I found 2 buds in sp3, Microsoft was doing reseach on it, and found that other users had my issues, and were supposed to call me today for further testing, but so far they haven't........i hope they call soon. I want them fixed! lol. Gotta love free support ;) How much ram do you have?

drragostea
2008-05-14, 03:00
Hahas. I wish I had 760 MB of RAM. Much more than. Oh, 129260. Read my signiture!

2008-05-15, 04:47
:oops: lol, i guess I'm blind ain't i? jk. Ram is cheap though, you can buy a decent amount for a little bit of money. Check out tiger direct. ;)

drragostea
2008-05-16, 01:02
Aw. Yikes. Yea, I have a "low" amount RAM :sad:. Problem is that... even if I purchased it, I do not know how to install it. My cousin told me that, it is more like a plug-in. Like a memory for PlayStation. So how do I install it anyway? :cowboy: Thanks.

2008-05-16, 02:58
Aw. Yikes. Yea, I have a "low" amount RAM :sad:. Problem is that... even if I purchased it, I do not know how to install it. My cousin told me that, it is more like a plug-in. Like a memory for PlayStation. So how do I install it anyway? :cowboy: Thanks.

but i suggest if you do not know how, the best thing to do is to have someone at like circuit city, who will install it for about $30.00 which is not horrible, not great, but not bad. That is about the cheapest solution to have someone else install it for you that i know of.

drragostea
2008-05-16, 04:40
No thanks T.T. I found out how to install it... :laugh: it's more like LeGo. You remove the old RAM "chip" plug in the new ones, click. However, you gotta use force to get the RAM in place. Thanks, but no thanks. With that money I could probably purchased around another 1024 MB of memory. At least would be 512 MB. :cowboy:

2008-05-16, 04:43
No thanks T.T. I found out how to install it... :laugh: it's more like LeGo. You remove the old RAM "chip" plug in the new ones, click. However, you gotta use force to get the RAM in place. Thanks, but no thanks. With that money I could probably purchased around another 1024 MB of memory. At least would be 512 MB. :cowboy:

just a suggestion ;)

drragostea
2008-05-16, 04:57
NP. I don't really need that much memory. Unless it's heavy applications. So far, avast!, so good. It runs the same amount of processes as AVG 8.0 but at a much lower memory usage. However, TeaTimer, runs 44MB of RAM at the moment. It's been running for days straight and not one detection except one ActiveX :rolleyes:.

Also, I would like to know what is your opinion for this "Vista Transformation Pack"? I'm tempted to get it like avast! because it "transforms" the icons, etc. to a Vista Aero look. :cowboy: Tempted. :sad:.

2008-05-16, 05:01
i dont know, you just need to be careful you download a clean transformation pack. I honestly am not sure.

drragostea
2008-05-16, 05:51
:sad: A clean transformation pack? I'm unsure.

2008-05-16, 06:30
use mcafee site advisor to search for a clean theme based transformation pack.

drragostea
2008-05-16, 21:07
Clean site? *sigh Nowadays, no site is safe. I downloaded it at "vistaknowledge(dot)com". Download(dot)com offers it... but there's third-party applications attached. This so-called "Thoosje" Sidebar is supposedly to be be like Vista's widget bar. However, McAfee users confirmed that there was some sorta of "dialer" attached. Dialer's affect dial-up users don't they? :fear:

2008-05-21, 22:07
Clean site? *sigh Nowadays, no site is safe. I downloaded it at "vistaknowledge(dot)com". Download(dot)com offers it... but there's third-party applications attached. This so-called "Thoosje" Sidebar is supposedly to be be like Vista's widget bar. However, McAfee users confirmed that there was some sorta of "dialer" attached. Dialer's affect dial-up users don't they? :fear:

thats all it does is uses your modem to call long distance places- racks up your phone bill fast, but if you don't have a modem, or its not connected and your using high speed, don't worry about it.

drragostea
2008-05-21, 23:48
T . T *sigh. I'm going to be really busy this week. Also, multi-tasking on the forums. :clown:

drragostea
2008-06-02, 21:08
Aha. This should be a nice way to bring this 2,800 viewed topic back to life.

I've been using Avast for around some weeks now. It's satisfactory.

However, I haven't seen any major updates from AVG 8.0 Free. I'm not sure if the false positives are gone yet.

I'm troubled because my PC's cooling fan is always running constantly. Maybe it's a busy week, or maybe I'm running too many programs at once. Firefox 2 seems to be taking a big chunk of my memory. avast! 4.8 just sits there monitoring the traffic, like a watchdog. No major alerts. ;P I'm just wondering if I should give AVG 8.0 another chance.

honda12
2008-06-02, 22:26
To be honest, I would just stay with avast for now - It is tempting though...but we need to wait a couple of months so that they can fix those bugs :spider:

drragostea
2008-06-03, 00:41
Haha, honda12, your titles never fail to amuse me.

Some months would be too... long? Aha, I can wait. As long I visit this forum everyday >:D.

2008-06-03, 18:34
haahhaha:)