PDA

View Full Version : Is this combination of products OK

Urbane.Tiger
2008-05-09, 09:25
After suffering TWO malware attacks in recent times, I've reviewed my protection - I was running free stuff AVG7, Defender, Windows Firewall.

I'd did some research and now have the following installed

Kapersky Internet Suite 7 (KIS7) - Virus, Firewall, Spam etc ***
Spybot - counter Spyware
Windows Defender - counter Spyware
Spysweeper - counter Spyware ***

*** - licences purchased

Alvira is available as an "offline" virus scanner, i.e. installed & up to date but not active. I have to turn off the router, terminate KIS7 and tell Windows Security to take walk before using Alvira - that's cool by me.

Malwarebytes Malware scanner and SUPERAntiSpyware are available, but not installed - my prior experience with these was not a happy one.

Is there anything I should add.

Not entirely happy with Spam filtering - using Windows Live Mail desktop client, have POP3, hotmail and gmail accounts - KIS7 sort of does POP3 accounts OK but is ignorant of gMail & hotmail - which is where most of my spam comes from. So suggestions on that front are welcome.

BTW "you should have purchased X and not Y" comments will not be appreciated and will be treated accordingly.

Thanks in anticipation

XstormX
2008-05-09, 19:26
hello there how about spyberus as a zero day spyware and virus detector it works great and does even detect super stealth activity which is something that your current security suite cant

Urbane.Tiger
2008-05-09, 19:45
I know it's a dumb question, but I'm a dumb person, what's a "zero day spyware and virus detector"

also I should have said that I run FF with NoScript and I try to be careful regarding what I let through it's gates.

Urbane.Tiger
2008-05-09, 20:05
THIS REPLACES PREVIOUS POST - prematurely posted

Thanks for the feedback

I know it's a dumb question, but I'm a dumb person, what's a "zero day spyware and virus detector"

I should have said that I run FF with NoScript and I try to be careful regarding what I let through it's gates.

I just had a look at Spyberus, as a software developer I am uncomfortable with things that get between me and the iron.

I have 4 * 500G internal drives that are striped and mirrored, a 200G IDE Drive that hosts an NFS file system, and a 2TB external drive, mainly used as database repository, I really wonder if Spyberus is up to that complexity.

R U aware of any developers using Spyberus ?

drragostea
2008-05-09, 23:54
A zero day attack is:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1880013,00.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-Day_Attack

A virus detector is exactly what it says. A virus detector.

Urbane.Tiger
2008-05-10, 03:59
Thanks - any thoughts on using Spyberus to address this issue

I've posed some questions to vendor such as how come the software layer they interpose between the hardware and the OS imposes no performance penalty.

I wish I knew how to write useful software that uses zero resources - lookout Bill, lookout Larry here comes TUT with his zero resource software kit.

c'ya

:devil: