PDA

View Full Version : Can't install free AVG 8.0

maureen
2008-05-17, 21:33
I run Windows XP with IE7.

I use AVG free edition 7.5. This morning I received a message that as of a near date, 7.5 will not be supported and I attempted to install AVG 8.0.

The installation is informing me that I have a resident spyware program and recommends stopping the installation. I assume AVG is referring to Spybot-SD Resident, which I installed last week.

What do you recommend?

drragostea
2008-05-17, 22:02
...resident spyware program and recommends stopping the installation.

Hello and welcome to the forums. Can you elaborate in detail about the "installation". I mean like word for word of what the message said. I've never encountered the error before when install AVG 8.0.100 Free before.

Can you try UN-installing AVG 7.5 via Add/Remove Programs window? You will be prompted to reboot after the uninstallation.

maureen
2008-05-17, 22:22
Thank you for the welcome.

The message says:

"Attention!

Another antivirus/security product is currently installed on this computer. It is not advisable to have more than one antivirus product running on the same computer. We strongly recommend that you cancel this installation and then uninstall the current anti virus product."

I was debating uninstalling AVG 7.5 and then trying installing 8.0 again, but I was afraid I would end up with neither one! I was more inclined to think they were referring to the resident part of Spybot.

drragostea
2008-05-17, 22:28
Oh. I recall that message before. Well like the problem said... you probably have one or more AV (anti-virus) product running... Do you? Spybot-SD's TeaTimer (Resident Shield) is not an AV product. More like a AS (anti-spyware). It's a real time protection. What I did (and what I would recommend you do)... is to save AVG 8.0 Free on your desktop. Leave it and don't execute it. Uninstall AVG 7.5 and reboot. After reboot execute AVG 8.0. It's still in the .exe format like when you downloaded and saved it to your desktop.

Summary: Save AVG 8.0 to desktop. Uninstall AVG 7.5. Reboot. Install AVG 8.0. Update. You're good to go. :cowboy:

maureen
2008-05-17, 22:31
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably do it tomorrow, like Scarlett (from Gone With the Wind).

Usually upgrades of software automatically delete the old version. That is what I was expecting AVG to do - so when I got the message I was a bit concerned. And also, because I had installed the new release of Spybot quite recently, I suspected it might be the culprit.

Thanks again for your help.

drragostea
2008-05-17, 22:41
So you installed the latest version of Spybot-SD (1.5.2.20) some time ago correct? Have uninstalled the previous versions of Spybot-SD? Usually, AV products includes updates to the next major version... unfortunately some don't like AVG :laugh:.

You shouldn't be concerned.

maureen
2008-05-17, 23:04
OK, I decided to go ahead with your advice. I uninstalled AVG 7.5, rebooted, and attempted to install AVG 8.0. I am getting the same message.

To answer your question re Spybot, I installed the latest version (1.5.2.20) only about 7 days ago. I did not manually uninstall any previous versions.

Now I have no AVG on my computer.....what to do?

drragostea
2008-05-17, 23:18
You have no AV on your computer at the moment?! I thought you were going to install AVG 8.0 tomorrow. Can you download it?

Also, uninstall the previous versions. If you need help refer to this link:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=25179

Do you have any other AV that you recall on your computer? Running more than one AV will cause conflicts, which is bad. Also, how about your firewalls?

maureen
2008-05-17, 23:25
I decided not to wait until tomorrow. I uninstalled AVG 7.5, rebooted, and attempted to install AVG 8.0 (the exe was on my desktop). I get the same message re another antivirus program being installed on my computer and recommending me not to go ahead with the install of AVG 8.0.

The only antivirus program I have used for close to three years is AVG, so to my knowledge, no other AV program is on my computer.

As for firewalls, sorry I don't know how to answer the question.
I am basically a computer user, don't know much about this kind of detail.

drragostea
2008-05-18, 03:20
Hello again. Hrm. Since there are no other AV's on your computer except AVG... I was about to suggest is that you continue on with the installation despite the message. I thought that might be risky. Maybe not. Did you take a took at your Add/Remove Programs window? They can be found in the Control Panel (Windows XP SP2).

As for the firewall... If you have Windows XP SP2 installed Windows Firewall is enabled by default. The major disadvantage is that it cannot monitor outbound connections. A wikipedia link describing firewalls is below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(networking)

Sorry, if it's too complicated :laugh:. Alright, so summarize what a firewall is... it prevents "traffic" from the Internet, like "bad" traffic from entering your computer. It's more like a filter. A watchdog. So a firewall is like a protection "forcefield" that allows good "traffic" to go to your computer. Outbound protection gives you the choice whether you allow which program to access the Internet. It may sound complicated at first, but it'll be simple once you get used to it. One of the well-known firewalls on the internet would be ZoneAlarm and Comodo Firewall. Personally I use ZoneAlarm because of it's simple user interface and it's quick settings. Some users find Comodo "tedious" and bothersome due to it's "continuous" prompts. However, the choice is up to you. Hope this helps.

maureen
2008-05-18, 13:23
Thanks for your help. I did check my settings and my Windows firewall is set on. I have installed no other firewall.

I restored my system to a point at which it was working. Now I have the old version of SpyBot. However, I cannot run or uninstall AVG - I get error messages. So I have not installed the new version of AVG.

It seems to be more of an AVG problem.................so I guess I'll go to the AVG forum. Thanks for all your help.

By the way, I ran SpyBot and received the following two error messages
1, There were brpblems in the Include file C/Progfiles/Spybot - search - destroy\Includes Trojans.sbi
2. same except...... \Includes\TrojansC.sbi

Should I be concerned about this?

drragostea
2008-05-18, 16:14
Hello. When you did a System Restore, you were "reverted" to a dated version of Spybot-SD. I'm assuming it was 1.4. I would strongly recommend you download the latest version of Spybot-SD at:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Also for uninstalling v.1.4 refer to this link I gave you eariler:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=25179

I apologize that I cannot help you. I'm just... unfamiliar with this "message".

So when you did a System Restore... AVG was not there? Disappeared? Have you checked your Add/Remove Programs window via Control Panel to see if AVG is still there? Also do you still have the .exe file of AVG 8.0 on your desktop?

maureen
2008-05-18, 22:11
The AVG programs showed as being there when I did a system restore, but I could not execute them. I would get an error message "installation failure." I could not add/delete program either without getting the same error message.

So I finally found a full service scan on a Microsoft website and executed it.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

I rebooted and again tried to install AVG 8.0. This time it told me it would have to remove AVG 7.5 from the system first. HURRAH! To make a long story short, ultimately AVG 8.0 installed and successfully executed. The Microsoft program must have fixed the problem. AVG8.0 is now up and running.

At the moment I have Spybot 1.4 on my system. I will stay with that until I am assured my system is stable.

Thank you for your help.

drragostea
2008-05-19, 01:47
Congrats with your successful installation. If everything is fine and good... install Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20 immediately. Or when you have time. Version 1.5.2 resolves some conflicts and problems and is much faster. The "trojan.sbi" is resolved in the latest version.

What I want to know is how OneCare scan exactly "fixed" the installation. I just find that odd. I have tried OneCare before and it only finds malware/spyware, registry issues, and whether you should defragment your drive or not.

What were the results?

maureen
2008-05-21, 13:56
To be honest, I didn't really look at the results. I just let it run to completion. Then when I rebooted and ran my AVG8.0 install, it recognized that it had to delete AVG7.5, and did it.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I only know AVG 8.0 is installed and working.

drragostea
2008-05-22, 00:41
Nice to hear. As long your system is running smoothly with any problems I wouldn't be concerned. Safe surfing. :bigthumb:

karmenv1
2008-05-22, 16:26
I read Maureen's posts and realised I was not the only one experiencing the exact same problems installing AVG 8. I got the same message, word for word. I did everything to ensure the install could happen, eg. I uninstalled AVG 7, shut down my Zonealarm (which is a great firewall), shut down PC Tools. I even took the chance of continuing with the install despite its recommendation to close it down but it still failed to install. I have used AVG 7 for quite a while. It would be great if this problem could be nutted out.

Karmenv1

benindavis
2008-05-24, 03:28
I have been using AVG 7.5 with great results, so 8.0 comes along and I figure great! Well .... It wont install. tried and tried. here is the message i get.

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file _AVG7_avgtdi.sys: stopping service....
Service AvgTdi failed to progress during stopping at checpoint 0 (wait hint 10000 ms) in 91000 ms.
Any one out there have a clue?

drragostea
2008-05-24, 03:50
Have you guys attempted to uninstall AVG 7.5? Also, you will be prompted to reboot. You must reboot for a successful uninstallation.

benindavis
2008-06-05, 00:09
I tried uninstalling 7.5 but I get an error message each time and it wont go away!

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-05, 01:09
benindavis:

Just a suggestion and not a put off, but you may get a wider audience of informed readers to your query here:
AVG Free Forum
http://freeforum.avg.com/