PDA

View Full Version : Black And White List???

SYSJFF
2008-05-28, 03:55
I followed this advice: "Please right-click the Resident icon in the system tray Spybot-SD Resident and select Settings. There you will find four lists for remembered decisions (allowed/denied processes and registry changes). In order to remove an entry, just click on the cross next to it. TeaTimer will then "forget" this decision and you will be asked again the next time."

The list was empty (nothing was remembered), but the log shows a half dozen process that were denied. I denied them as a reflex action, not knowing what the pop-up was all about. Now I would like to reconsider those actions because I may have screwed up some perfectly innocent processes.

drragostea
2008-05-28, 04:26
You should post this in the Spybot topic.

In TeaTimer 1.5:

If you check "Remember this decision" on a registry change, the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" similar registry changes for all future changes. To edit that information: Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon (labeled "Spybot-SD Resident") and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
Allowed registry changes
Blocked registry changes
Allowed processes
Blocked processes
You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. If entries you are interested in are for registry changes, the entries that you should review are in "Allowed registry changes" and "Blocked registry changes". You can delete stored entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete, answering "Yes" to the confirmation dialog and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done.

The log will tell you "what" you allowed or denied. As those were in the past. If you remember denying something "crucial" or "useful", you should find the entries with the X next to it in one of the tabs.

SYSJFF
2008-05-28, 04:56
The four buttons are there; rest of page is blank. No amount of clicking on any of the buttons yields a result. Stumped.

Re: posting in SpyBot topic, this is my first visit and I'm sort of feeling my way through it.

drragostea
2008-05-28, 05:11
That'd odd. You recall denying something... but there's nothing... Oh I see now. The entries only appear if you select "Remember my decision". So that might explain why there's no entires. Is your computer running fine? Experiencing any errors? You can see the desktop correct?

I don't really see if there should be anything to be worried about... unless it's an update or an important application. Any idea what you denied?

Oh. Welcome to the forums. :welcome:

SYSJFF
2008-05-28, 05:19
Contents of the log are below. I have no idea what changes I may have blocked (FYI - Earthlink is my ISP). As for "remember this decision" I don't recall seeing it, but it may have been there. The pop-up is brand new to me since I last upgraded and the message is not very intuitive.

3/25/2008 6:11:45 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "AdobeUpdater" (new data: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater5\AdobeUpdater.exe") added in System Startup user entry!
4/1/2008 9:48:55 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "AdobeUpdater" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
4/1/2008 9:49:05 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "SearchAssistant" (new data: "http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search") changed in Browser page!
4/1/2008 11:44:14 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "SearchAssistant" (new data: "http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search") changed in Browser page!
4/22/2008 7:13:38 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "dscactivate" (new data: ""C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"") added in System Startup global entry!
5/3/2008 8:58:37 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "AdobeUpdater" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
5/14/2008 8:33:02 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "SearchAssistant" (new data: "http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search") changed in Browser page!
5/14/2008 8:59:31 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "SearchAssistant" (new data: "http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search") changed in Browser page!
5/27/2008 8:04:50 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "SearchAssistant" (new data: "http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search") changed in Browser page!

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-28, 06:43
SYSJFF:

The "Allowed registry changes" and "Blocked registry changes" lists in
TeaTimer's "White & Black List" are only populated if you use the "Remember this decision" on a registry change. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" similar registry changes for all future changes.

The "Remember this decision" option is not a backup of a registry change. You cannot reverse any Registry change decisions ("Allow change" or "Deny change") that you make with TeaTimer. You have to redo whatever you were doing so that the Registry change is done again, manually edit the registry or do a system restore.

Lacie
2008-05-29, 21:55
I followed this advice: "Please right-click the Resident icon in the system tray Spybot-SD Resident and select Settings. There you will find four lists for remembered decisions (allowed/denied processes and registry changes). In order to remove an entry, just click on the cross next to it. TeaTimer will then "forget" this decision and you will be asked again the next time."

The list was empty (nothing was remembered), but the log shows a half dozen process that were denied. I denied them as a reflex action, not knowing what the pop-up was all about. Now I would like to reconsider those actions because I may have screwed up some perfectly innocent processes. i also denied the process six times and I now have Registry change denied.I am not able to click on the Resident icon in the system. Maybe I am unaware of the system tray?