PDA

View Full Version : ?Changes to browser settings for Yahoo Music?

peterk514
2008-06-01, 04:08
A couple of weeks ago I got the Smitfraud-c virus. A security expert on this site kindly walked me through the cleansing process, and then recommended a number of preventive measures which I implemented.

Last week my son discovered that we could not buy songs from Yahoo Music Jukebox anymore. I emailed them and asked for help. They suggested the following steps to change my browser settings.

Any opinions on whether these changes will leave me in a compromised state? If so, is it possible to easily toggle these changes on/off so my kids can buy songs?

Thanks in advance, PeterK

Yahoo Music Jukebox tech wrote:

I think your web browser configuration may
be interfering with the Yahoo! Music Jukebox. Let's try adjusting your
web browser configuration, which should solve the problem. This looks
like a lot of steps, but if you follow each one, it should be pretty
quick and trouble free:

1. Close all applications including your web browsers, or else the
settings may not take immediate effect
2. Click the "Start" button
3. Select "Control Panel"
4. Click on "Network and Internet" then "Internet Options." If Control
Panel is in classic mode, double-click "Internet Options"
5. Click the "Security" tab then select "Trusted Sites"
6. Click on the "Default Level" button then click the "Sites" button
7. Uncheck "Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this
zone"
8. In the "Add this website to the zone" field, enter the following:
*.yahoo.com (please be sure to include the asterisk '*' in front of
'.yahoo.com')
9. Click "Add" then click "Close"
10. Select the "Privacy Tab" and click "Default" to ensure "Medium" is
selected
11. Click the "Advanced" tab (not the Advanced button)
12. Locate the "Browsing" category
a) Check the following options:
-Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)
-Disable Script Debugging (Other)
b) Uncheck the following options:
-Display a notification about every script error
-Reuse windows for launching shortcuts
13. Select the "General" tab
14. Click the "Settings" button in the section of "Browsing History"
15. Click the option marked "Every time I visit the web page" then Click
"OK"
16. Click the "Delete" button in the section of "Browsing History"
17. Click "Delete all..." to delete the Temporary Internet Files and
cookies from Internet Explorer (this clears your browser's "cache" of
stored files)
18. Check "Also delete files and settings stored by add-ons" and click
"Yes" to remove your Temporary Internet Files
19. Click "Apply" then Click "OK" to close the Internet Options window

drragostea
2008-06-01, 17:19
Does the following configuration work? I'm assuming you are using IE (Internet Explorer) as your primary web browser. Is it the latest version (IE7)?

I would have some simple configurations for you... just resetting everything to default.

But first, I would need the answers to those questions. Also do you by any chance be running Mozilla Firefox?

peterk514
2008-06-01, 18:14
Thanks for your reply.

I have not tried it because I wanted to find out if it would be safe first.

I do have IE installed and updated to v7, but use Firefox as my default browser, unless a specific site requires IE.

drragostea
2008-06-01, 18:20
:laugh: I just found his configuration slightly, tedious. It's okay. But first, can you access Yahoo! music on Mozilla Firefox?

Firefox is my primary browser. I don't usually use IE unless it's for online scanners that require IE (which I rarely do :)) and Microsoft Updates. That's about it.

I can give you some simple configurations. I'm not sure it it'll do the trick because I do not know your IE browser configurations.

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-06-01, 18:50
Does Yahoo Music Jukebox work with Firefox? If it does, then there's no need to go through all the configurations.

Besides, configuring IE that way is unsecure.

drragostea
2008-06-01, 22:54
I was thinking the same thing. If FF can work with Yahoo! music then it's fine. What I was thinking was setting all the security zones to default level and "Restore Advanced Settings". That's how I see IE7 at optimal configuration. Plus emptying the cache, temp. files, and cookies :cowboy:.

peterk514
2008-06-05, 04:20
Thanks for the replies.

Let me clarify: Yahoo Music Jukebox runs stand alone, but apparently tries to access the internet or open an internet page from within the app - not start a browser. Any

In trying to describe to their support staff what might have changed on my system I mentioned the virus cleaning and recommended security tightening recommended on the malware removal forum.

They responded with the recommended changes above. internet settings may not even be the problem, but I won't know until I try the suggested changes.

I just want to know whether they are safe, or how I can toggle them on and off again.

ndmmxiaomayi suggests the changes do not leave me with a safe state.

drragostea suggests "setting all the security zones to default level and "Restore Advanced Settings"." to restore a safe state.

Unless anyone disagrees, I'll try that.

Thanks,

Peter

drragostea
2008-06-05, 04:52

Of course ;).

drragostea suggests "setting all the security zones to default level and "Restore Advanced Settings"." to restore a safe state.

That's how I "optimize" my browser. But believe me, as a safe bet, ndmmxiaomayi is a Security Warrior. That member has more knowledge of this area than I do. :)

Oh, in addition to that clean your browsers (cache, temp. files, and cookies). That's a safe bet.

Okay to clarify... Yahoo! Music Jukebox is a program installed into your PC? It doesn't run in the browser itself? Do you have a firewall?

peterk514
2008-06-05, 05:35
Yahoo! Music Jukebox is a program installed into your PC? It doesn't run in the browser itself? Do you have a firewall?

Yes; and yes: Zonealarm free version

drragostea
2008-06-05, 05:40
I use ZoneAlarm Free too... There should be a Program Control tab in ZoneAlarm. Basically this allows which programs to access the Internet.

Can you find Yahoo! Jukebox? It may be accidentally denied access to the Internet.

Also what level is the program control?

peterk514
2008-06-05, 05:44
jukebox has server rights in ZA.

I'm not sure what you mean by "level" of program control

drragostea
2008-06-05, 05:49
I'm assuming that it can access the Internet?

There is 4 levels or Program Control.

High, Medium, Low, and Off.

Basically High is unavailable. Medium enables prompts. Low is "learning mode". Off is simple. Off.

You're only limited to Medium. It is allowed in the Trusted Zone and the Internet?

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-06-07, 23:25

To clarify, it's Yahoo's way that is unsafe. Unless nothing works, there's no need to add any sites to the Trusted Zone.

IE7 settings are quite OK, just need some settings to be tweaked here and there to be safe. However, some users reported problems. One way to try is to reset it to the defaults, then try changing some of settings to suit your computer.