PDA

View Full Version : Install Service Pack 3 or not?

multicanarias
2008-06-02, 05:45
Hi all....

some might understand that I got some doubt...:scratch:

Should I install Service Pack 3 or not.:banghead:

Thanks for Help, Tipps and Opinions:buried:

drragostea
2008-06-02, 05:55
Well Service Pack 3 wouldn't be as much as an impact as SP2 did with the IE security enhancements and Security Center, etc. But it would be sure a positive benefit toward your Windows XP OS.

SP3 resolves around some 1,023 issues, with fixes and tweaks. Some users also say that programs now take up less memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Service_Pack_3
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en

These two sites should give an insight to SP3. Welcome to the forums.

multicanarias
2008-06-03, 13:43
Thanks for your answer and the links....

...same IMPACT as SP2 sounds not so good.... ;-)

2008-06-03, 19:26
To make sure you have a very smooth experience, I always recommend a clean slate, (format) Then install XP, then install service pack 3. Then install your programs and reput back on your documents from your backup of your files. :) It just makes sure nothing will go wrong. In any case, if you do not feel like doing that, You should not experience any issues. If you do, Microsoft is offering free support for XP service pack 3. :) It made my computer faster with startup, and shutting down. Some programs even launched quicker then before. So i was quite pleased. :) Hope that helps!!

btw, sp3 wont change any mager things that the average user would notice; unlike sp2.

drragostea
2008-06-04, 02:01
Thanks for your answer and the links....

...same IMPACT as SP2 sounds not so good.... ;-)

Ah, well in impact I meant as in a positive, beneficial way. As suggested by 129260, a format will do, but it'll depend. I plan to format my computer may every year? Lols, maybe not.

SP3 will make your computer run smoothly. I'm sure of it. In the links I gave above should have given you a brief insight of the program.

Even of you're not tech, all you have to know is that SP3 will do much good. Aha, if it wasn't then SP3 wouldn't exist in the first place.

SP3 (in my words, lols) is more like cumulative update, gathering all the updates in the past and "making" it into one. I suppose there's around some 1,023 fixes and tweaks. :)

t001z
2008-06-04, 19:21
To make sure you have a very smooth experience, I always recommend a clean slate, (format) Then install XP, then install service pack 3. Then install your programs and reput back on your documents from your backup of your files.
I could not agree more that the best way to make sure you have a good experience would be to install from a clean slate, but why do this in 2 steps? Much better off to integrate the SP-3 files into your XP source CD. If you don't know how to do this, there is a very cool program called n-lite (http://www.nliteos.com/) that will do it for you (plus install any upgraded drivers you have, lots of basic programs and even remove some of the stuff you don't want in your windows installation).

For what it is worth, I have installed XP-SP3 on about 2 dozen machines (including my own 2 main - laptop & desktop) and have only one problem and it was Explorer.exe continually crashing. I could not boot into safe mode to remove so had to use a 3rd party (PE) utility to remove SP. I turned around and reinstalled SP3 and everything worked perfectly.

angie1313
2008-06-04, 21:17
I haven't yet but I know I have it scheduled at some point this month so I'll let you know how I make out.

drragostea
2008-06-05, 05:40
Well, angie, if you believe your PC is in a clean state, it would be better to upgrade. It has much improvements and stability that the previous SPs. But hey it's better than nothing :cowboy:.

The links about give a brief insight of SP3.

ght1
2008-06-07, 15:23
Service Pack 3 works fine :santa: