PDA

View Full Version : Secure Shredder

drragostea
2008-06-03, 05:51
I happen to come upon an important document that I wanted to delete. However, I know that just dropping it in the Recycle would not do. It could be easily recovered (the reference in the data table is deleted).

I couldn't find a "shredder" which will securely delete the file, making it literally impossible for anyone to recover it. :sad:

I came upon a post in January 2007 or was the November which talked about this "Eraser" program.
--
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18401
--

I gave it a try and found out it wasn't very kind. It was much like a labyrinth. I removed it, and found it was unable to uninstall. :sad: Wow.

Any ideas for a good "shredder" :laugh:?
Another question is this entry in my Programs list:
-
{F850707C-B6A0-4B56-8709-F89CF8F9AC6D}

Any ideas? Thanks.

PepiMK
2008-06-03, 11:37
That entry probably would be Eraser.
Found it in this log (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=186418), mentioned in the Eraser uninstall information block.

It's still one of the best imho, what exactly was too confusing about it?

Hmmm, ok, I'll withdraw that confusing statement, I found a few confusing things myself right now, when updating to the latest version :laugh:

32 and 64 bit version cannot be installed parallel any more it seems (I mainly want the 64 bit edition, but Spybot would be compatible to the 32 bit one only).
The menu item is confusing as well, since the 32 bit menu item does not appear in 64 bit Explorer (due to it being realized as a DLL probably instead of the simple but not complete registry-only method).
Drag'n'drop into Erasers main window doesn't work. That was the really confusing thing, until I noticed that I have to click the On-Demand button at the left, after which drag'n'drop worked.
After having dropped files, menu Task -> Run all is a bit hidden, and somehow I think the easier to find small toolbar icon was not enabled on first try (can't reproduce that now).
Make sure you use Edit ->Preferences -> Erasing, and choose the Gutmann method if you want to use at its best.

drragostea
2008-06-04, 01:57
I will give Eraser another try. I uninstalled it because it was just so... confusing :laugh:. I'll try the Gutmann method (if I can find it). I think I have tried the drag-and-drop method. I'm sure.

I'll give Eraser 5.86a a try. If I like I'll stay with it.

drragostea
2008-06-04, 04:23
Thanks PepiMK for the Gutmann suggestion. I finally know how to use it, :P, after finding out it was only by using the right-click :red:.

I actually thought that 35 passes would take forever, but it only took 4 seconds on a 355kb file.

I decide I'm going to keep it. Temporarily, as I don't plan to install it after my next format, which would take another year, lols.

angie1313
2008-06-04, 21:14
if none of that works, I recommend tossing it out the window. :)

In all seriousness, I've used Eraser before with no problems. I would give it another shot.

drragostea
2008-06-05, 05:38
angie, I did... and I'm staying with it :cowboy:.