PDA

View Full Version : User Accounts confusion

enjohn49
2008-06-03, 10:31
Apologies if this is the wrong section to post this but I am a newbie to this forum. I was recently infected with Win32.netbooster, but thanks to Spybot, some of the posts in this forum and several other programmes my system now appears clean and reasonably safe. However, during the 6+ hours spent cleaning everything up I noticed that I have two User Accounts that have Administrator Status; one of these with my name and showing in the list of User Accounts in the Control Panel, but the other shows on my computer only (not in Control Panel) as New User.

I believe that this has arisen as a result of a replacement hard drive fitted last December and the company that carried this out must have set it up when they reinstalled Windows XP. My main question is - how can I delete this New User account and transfer all the settings etc. to the account with my Name?

The other question I have is regarding the security issues of logging on as Administrator for everyday access. Based on all the various Forums and other sites during the cleaning up of my computer I read many times about the problems involved with running in Administrator mode. I have Password protected the Guest account and disabled it, but want to set up a limited user account for my day to day access. What is the best way to do this, and is there a way I can transfer my Documents and Settings and Desktop to this account?

Your help and advice would be much appreciated.