PDA

View Full Version : Which AV for my old and deing computer?

xxchronic2007xx
2008-06-03, 23:30
Hi,
I have symantec anti virus and it doesn't seem to be doing a good job of keeping my computer clean. Im going to remove it and install Avast! AV. What do you guys think? Will Avast! use up less recourses than symantec AV? Also what can i do to get this computer running faster? Mozilla firefox takes literally like 30 seconds to a minute to open up and startup is a pain!

Thanks for all the help,
XxChronic2007xX

tashi
2008-06-04, 00:30
Hello,

Hi,
I have symantec anti virus and it doesn't seem to be doing a good job of keeping my computer clean. Im going to remove it and install Avast! AV. What do you guys think? Will Avast! use up less recourses than symantec AV?

These links may help in making a decision. :)

Anti Virus Programs (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9289)

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=7683

Also what can i do to get this computer running faster? Mozilla firefox takes literally like 30 seconds to a minute to open up and startup is a pain!

Knowing which Operating System you have would be useful in order for someone to advise. ;)

xxchronic2007xx
2008-06-04, 00:49
Sorry for posting a little late, i have windows XP.
Thanks,
XxChronic2007xX

drragostea
2008-06-04, 02:06
As in the link described above, there was this issue in the past where Symantec's Norton reported a false positive about SaferNetworking's Spybot-SD. In conclusion, Norton posted an update which resolved the conflict :).

Firefox should be a jiffy. It should start up much faster than IE (in my perspective). Unless you have some dozen themes and add-ons bogging down Firefox. The latest version should do.

The recommended amount of RAM for Windows XP is 512 MB. Say like you have 256MB, that might take some programs longer to open up (maybe by some seconds :P).

Have you cleaned the cache, temp. files, and cookies in your browser?
Also, have you defragmented your drive lately? It should speed things up.

xxchronic2007xx
2008-06-04, 02:09
I have not defragmented my hard drive, how do i do that anyways? I don't think i have a defragmenter... my computer has 512mb of ram, its just a really old computer. After reading that thread about symantec.... they are EVIL!:mad:

Thanks,
XxChronic2007xX

Edit: I don't have a lot of add-ons at all on firefox, i have also cleared all that stuff (cookies etc.)

tashi
2008-06-04, 02:19
As in the link described above, there was this issue in the past where Symantec's Norton reported a false positive about SaferNetworking's Spybot-SD. In conclusion, Norton posted an update which resolved the conflict :).

Also 24 pages of users expressing their personal experiences with Norton on their machines. ;)

xxchronic2007xx
2008-06-04, 02:36
Thank you tashi and drragostea, i have everything sorted out :)

~XxChronic2007xX

drragostea
2008-06-04, 02:38
24 pages. *whistle Wow. O.O

I don't have to time to start flaming at Symantec Norton. Lols, I would if I had the time.

Download.com user's gave Norton a 1/5 rating. I was one of them. I started blabbering all the negatives I could think of.

Personally, I don't believe those "maintenance" tools are necessary for your computer to "survive". :P It's just like a simple registry cleanup and some junk file cleanup. Sad part is that they do not specify what registry keys and "junk" (so-called) files. I tried one of them... found out that the program was about to delete my Restore Points in just an attempt to save 500MB of space. :sad:

I wouldn't recommend registry cleaners, but compacters will do fine. The registry does not take up a significant amount of space. It doesn't even compare to Adobe's Photoshop. Although I gotta admit that's a gargantuan program, lols.

xxchronic, have you taken an analysis of your drive? You should find it under ACCESSORIES.

drragostea
2008-06-04, 02:39
xxcronic, I guess we were typing at the same time, lols. But you can follow my suggestions if you want. A fragmented drive can result a really sluggish start-up.

xxchronic2007xx
2008-06-05, 02:02
Yes i have taken an analysis of my drive and it says i should defrag, and what happens to the files in quarantine when you remove your AV?

xxchronic2007xx
2008-06-05, 03:19
AH GOD!!! HOW COULD I LET THIS HAPPEN?! So i couldn't remove symantec (needed password) so i told my dad to get it for me since he had it and well he told me to call at&t for help?? I just played along to not get him mad so i called maybe they could help me.. lets skip forward... so i get it removed and then the person helping me downloads "Perfect uninstaller". I go are you sure you know what you're doing because your looking for random stuff on google i see... you sure this program is safe to use?? She says yes but when she started using it (Oh btw she was using remote control), so when she started using it, it performed a scan for left over registry files from symantec and when she hit remove it said you have to register before removing all the stuff... i shut the phone and computer, quickly install avg and now im doing the boot-up scan and see if avast finds it as a virus.

Never call at&t support plus team.... they don't know what they are doing. :mad:

Edit: I don't think that program did anything to my registry because spybot wasn't flashing with any warnings..

drragostea
2008-06-05, 05:48
Never call at&t support plus team.... they don't know what they are doing.

Well Spybot's TeaTimer would flash a warning say like when a start-up entry is removed. Okay this is my long explanation and response to your entry:

First off, I would strongly suggest you DEFRAGMENT your drive! I'm not saying it's critical... but it WILL affect your OS's overall performance. I was helping out an elder with their computer the other week. They said it was sluggish and horribly slow. Everything will take minutes to open.

Found out the it was a horribly fragmented drive with lots of red bars :sad:.

I'm telling you... defragment your drive. It'll make your computer run faster.

Now that's done... you should not have more than one AV (anti-virus) installed. It's not good. It WILL conflict. Do you have more than two AV's installed?

You requested help for a AT&T representative :yuck:, lols. A good uninstaller, I personally use would be REVO UNINSTALLER. It gives a variety of uninstallation (Safe removal, moderate, or advanced removal). The... Perfect Uninstaller sounds a bit fishy. I'm skeptical. Have you removed it? Did that program successfully remove Norton?

Norton IS or AV should remove with no problems at all :sad:. Can you REVO?

What is your current AV?

xxchronic2007xx
2008-06-05, 21:52
Well Spybot's TeaTimer would flash a warning say like when a start-up entry is removed. Okay this is my long explanation and response to your entry:

First off, I would strongly suggest you DEFRAGMENT your drive! I'm not saying it's critical... but it WILL affect your OS's overall performance. I was helping out an elder with their computer the other week. They said it was sluggish and horribly slow. Everything will take minutes to open.

Found out the it was a horribly fragmented drive with lots of red bars :sad:.

I'm telling you... defragment your drive. It'll make your computer run faster.

Now that's done... you should not have more than one AV (anti-virus) installed. It's not good. It WILL conflict. Do you have more than two AV's installed?

You requested help for a AT&T representative :yuck:, lols. A good uninstaller, I personally use would be REVO UNINSTALLER. It gives a variety of uninstallation (Safe removal, moderate, or advanced removal). The... Perfect Uninstaller sounds a bit fishy. I'm skeptical. Have you removed it? Did that program successfully remove Norton?

Norton IS or AV should remove with no problems at all :sad:. Can you REVO?

What is your current AV?

Sorry, i forgot to add i did defragment and had a lot of red bars but its all good after i defragmented :bigthumb:

I installed Avast! AV. I have windows defender, Avast, and Spybot S&D. I have an old norton firewall sitting here and AVG anti-spyware which i should uninstall..... isn't there a norton remover from their website? If you dont know can you give me the link to REVO please? Oh yes almost forgot, i removed that uninstaller.... it didn't seem to do anything to my computer :)

:flame: AT&T rep

:p:

drragostea
2008-06-05, 22:35
Alright :cowboy:.

Norton Removal Tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Revo Uninstaller:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Auslogics Disk Defrag:
http://www.download.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html

Here is my explanation of these tools:
The Norton Removal Tool will remove ALL Norton products from your computer. As for the firewall, I would suggest a good reputable firewall like ZoneAlarm Free and Comodo Pro.

I would suggest you run Norton Removal Tool first before REVO because the tool is a good bet that it'll remove all the products. Next, I can say that you can use the SEARCH function in Windows Explorer and delete all Norton related folders. You can just click on SEARCH in any window on the desktop.

Two AS (anti-spyware) programs will do on your PC.

Next, time I would suggest you defragment with Auslogics. There are many other defragmentors on the web, but I feel that Auslogics is small, fast, and gives a good explaination. I just find other programs, which defragment, large, bulky, tedious, and constantly running in the background... so called "defragmenting" when idle.

Tip is that you should defragment every two-three weeks. If you computer is acting... "sluggish" it may help to defragment your drive.

xxchronic2007xx
2008-06-06, 02:51
Thanks for the help,
I used the defragger that came with windows XP under control panel and Peformance and Maintenance. I did a thorough scan with Avast! and found 8 infected files, mainly all trojan generators and adware generators and before my symantec would every now and then show warnings for trojans and adware.hotbar so i think Avast! took care of them! :)

I'll run the norton remover later because i have to go soon.

Thanks for all the help again,
XxChronic2007xX

drragostea
2008-06-06, 03:19
Glad to be of help.

2008-06-10, 07:28
hi,
What Do You Guys Think? Will Avast! Use Up Less Recourses Than Symantec Av?
Thanks For All The Help,
Xxchronic2007xx

Yes Very Much Soooooooooooooo!!!

angie1313
2008-06-10, 16:15
Just out of curiosity...where did you guys learn so much about this? Did you guys go to school for it or are you basically self taught?

drragostea
2008-06-11, 04:45
angie: Self-taugh :laugh:.
--
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Senior_member_here_D_t92128.html
--

I never thought about "computer classes" until you mentioned now. I pick up new knowledge everyday. There's always more to learn.

First post on the link gives a brief introduction.

2008-06-29, 23:55
Just out of curiosity...where did you guys learn so much about this? Did you guys go to school for it or are you basically self taught?

I'm self taught, I am going to go to school for computers soon. :)