PDA

View Full Version : Vista SP1?

chewdz
2008-06-14, 03:04
My friend has a problem installing the SP1 update onto his Windows Vista Business laptop. After downloading and installing the update, he restarted his laptop as instructed. However, the update was very slow at the third stage of the service pack installation(which was after it was restarted) and after half an hour or so, the service did not install and Vista reverted the changes. What had caused this to happen and how can he solve the problem?

drragostea
2008-06-14, 03:44
Can you elaborate? I'm not a Vista user so, I might have trouble catching up.

I understand that the problem is that your friend cannot install Windows Vista SP1 correct?

Did the problem occur during the reboot session? Was there a screen telling you the error?

Explain how Vista "reverted" the changes. Was it like rejecting it or just made a System Restore by itself.
---
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en
--

From Microsoft's official page Vista SP1 is a decent 434.5MB download. Does yor friend have a fast connection?

chewdz
2008-06-14, 03:51
The SP1 download was from the Windows Update itself. About 121MB i think. Yes, the problem occur AFTER the OS was started up and the screen showed something like this:

Installing Service Pack Stage 1 of 3: **% Complete
Do not turn off your computer.

After the 2nd stage, the OS restarted itself and booted up again to this screen:

Installing Service Pack Stage 3 of 3: **% Complete

However when it comes to 100%, it stayed there for quite long. Thinking that it is usual for an update, my friend left it alone so that the update can complete.

Then came up something like this:

Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes.

After reverting the changes, the login page finally appeared and my friend was able to login again.

drragostea
2008-06-14, 04:51
I recall encountering that problem during a SP download. It was for both SP2 and SP3. It downloaded for some time in Windows Updates. It took like forever, then I was notified that Windows XP Service Pack 3 was not installed.

So did that Step 1/3 screen come up right after the download from Windows Update? Or did it prompt your friend to reboot?

chewdz
2008-06-16, 10:04
It prompted my friend to reboot the computer before the 1/3 thing came on.

drragostea
2008-06-17, 03:28
I've ran out of ideas, chewd. I'm tempted by this answer, but it may be time-consuming :sad:.

What I was thinking was that... the SP may be corrupted or incomplete.
I'm not sure about it thought.

Can your friend download the Vista SP1 from the link I gave in the previous posts? Then execute the file. See how it goes.

chewdz
2008-06-18, 09:28
does this SP1 require a 64x installer? the 121.53MB version does not work my friend's computer.

drragostea
2008-06-18, 21:41
Is your friend's Vista a 32-bit or a 64-bit?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb968859.aspx

It looks like that it will be a smaller update when using Windows Update, compared to downloading it directly.

From the quick details, the SP1 is for 32-bit computers.

chewdz
2008-06-19, 07:55
It should be a 64 bit one as the 121.53MB version of SP1(downloaded directly from the Microsoft website) requires a 64bit installer. I think my friend's laptop does not have the 64bit installer.

chewdz
2008-06-23, 12:34
can anyone suggest why the above problem may happen to my friend's laptop?

drragostea
2008-06-23, 16:59
The Vista SP1 should in a 32-bit installer (x86, I think in the details).

Check the properties of the his Vista OS. This includes model, version, RAM, Ghz, etc.

I went back to the site I posted last week, and it said "x86" which indicates a 32-bit installer. I think it was a "x68" that meant a 64-bit installer, but I'm unclear about that.

Have your friend check their properties of the OS.

chewdz
2008-06-25, 12:38
I'm not sure of the properties of the OS but he told me that he chose the "Windows Vista Business (x64)" instead of the "Windows Vista Business" option when he started the laptop for the FIRST time when he bought it. I only know that the RAM is 2GB and the processor should be an AMD x64 processor(not sure of the series name)

There is something that I find it strange though. Whenever he wants to install some softwares into his laptop, he does not know whether to install it in the "Program Files" folder OR the "Program Files(x86)" folder. In the end, my friend followed the program's default and install it into the "Program Files(x86)" folder. We were wondering if the "Program Files" folder has any use since it has been create by default.

Tom.K
2008-06-25, 19:59
There is something that I find it strange though. Whenever he wants to install some softwares into his laptop, he does not know whether to install it in the "Program Files" folder OR the "Program Files(x86)" folder. In the end, my friend followed the program's default and install it into the "Program Files(x86)" folder. We were wondering if the "Program Files" folder has any use since it has been create by default. Is there anything in those folders? Maybe the "Program Files(x86)" folder is used for 32-bit programs (x86) and "Program Files" folder for 64-bit programs (x64). Has your friend tried to install Vista SP1 in "Program Files" folder?

drragostea
2008-06-26, 00:30
Correction, x64 was for the 64-bit.

I thought Windows Vista's Window Updates were just install from the Windows Explorer? You have to specify which folder to use?

chewdz
2008-06-26, 12:03
Is there anything in those folders?

Has your friend tried to install Vista SP1 in "Program Files" folder?

I'm not that sure if there is anything in the folder. But I don't think that there is an option to install the SP1 update INTO that folder, isn't it? I thought that usually the Windows Update installs the hotfixes and updates into the "WINDOWS" folder(in which the system files are located at). But is there any Vista SP1 update available in 64-bit from the Microsoft Download Centre website? I'm sure that if there is a 32-bit one, they should have a 64-bit ones available since many computer are running on 64-bit processors.

drragostea
2008-06-26, 17:30
I did find some updates for the 64-bit version, however it would painstaking and time consuming to track it down.

...since many computer are running on 64-bit processors.

Not a majority of the cyber population are using 64-bit PCs, you know.

chewdz
2008-06-28, 10:32
Hmmm.... but surely there is a SP1 update for 64-bit computers right? If not some of the people who bought them will eventually lose out if there is no updates for the minority of them. Isn't it?

drragostea
2008-06-29, 02:18
Wow, chewd. 64-bit processors are crazy! It can store more than 4+ GBs of RAM.

Alright, I got the solution:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=874A414B-32B2-41CC-BD8B-D71EDA5EC07C&displaylang=en

Ask your friend to download it on their 64-bit computer. It should solve it.

chewdz
2008-06-29, 08:27
Hmmm... Five language??!! What's that? And it is a big 726.5MB download. *sighs*

drragostea
2008-06-29, 18:43
Yes, a huge file. Sorry, but that would be the best solution unless someone else steps up with a better one.

I'm not sure if the update that your friend received via Windows Update was corrupted or something else.

It's a 64-bit installer. I have to tell you 64-bit based computers are much more powerful than the average 32-bit. However, some updates and installers are much bigger in size, compared to a 32-bit.

On a DSL connection at peak speed, it should take... 1 hour? I recall downloading a 1GB movie for 1-2 hours.

:P

chewdz
2008-07-03, 11:31
not that much of a surprise to me. my friend's is quite fast. about 500-600kb/s during off-peak periods. maybe finished in about an hour?

So I'll think i will let my friend try again first and then see if there is any problems.

drragostea
2008-07-03, 20:57
I recall that a 200MB on a 768kbps connection at peak speeds (90kb/sec.) took 30 minutes. So it should take 1-2 hours or so.

A fast connection will do.