PDA

View Full Version : SpyBot Saved My But Again...

PonchoWest
2008-06-15, 08:34
We have 10 computers on a network and each runs one of these programs.

System Mechanic Pro 07
Panda 08
System Suite Pro 07
CA Anti-Virus Plus 08

Now you would think we would be SAFE!?!?

But NO... I just got hit again. And this one was from a program downloaded from a site like FilePile or Tucows called Combofix or Vitumonde-Trojan remover or something like that. Anyway it was Mal-Ware and now I have NirCmd.a. Well I had it but SpyBot found it or whatever it was doing and shut it down.

About four months back I was hit by one of them PDF type bugs. I was on a well known web site looking for a text file on some software that I have so I could learn how to use it better. The second I clicked on the PDF file I knew I just blew a week’s worth of work cleaning up the friggin thing. It happened so fast that before I could pull the plug on the connection I had something install and then POP-UP city and Lord know what else it did.

BUT...System Mechanic did not stop it and yes it was running. I emailed IOLO and they got back with me days later. On the other hand I ran SpyBot and it found the Mal-Ware and even things marked Trojan, if I recall right but anyway it stopped the bugs for the most part and when I emailed SpyBot I got a reply within an hour or less with very helpful info on what had just happened and how to try and fix it.

So my hats off to SpyBot and yes the check was mailed...LOL!:angel:

Question::red:
1. Can a bug make you have Blue Screen and each one seems to give you another error as to why it happened or did I just fry something REAL BAD!?!?!
2. I’m going to VISTA on more of the systems; will SpyBot run right under that OS?
3. And finally, anyone needing slightly used, above mentioned anti-virus software please email me…LOL!!!:funny:

drragostea
2008-06-15, 21:12
We have 10 computers on a network and each runs one of these programs.

System Mechanic Pro 07
Panda 08
System Suite Pro 07
CA Anti-Virus Plus 08

10 computers seems alright. Question is that is it updated and patched?

The problem I see here is that you have more than one AV (Anti-virus). This is not good as it will cause conflicts. I have test SM Pro once and it wasn't up to my liking. The firewall and AV was a joke.

You have 2 anti-virus programs running simultaneously and two "maintenance tools".

What I would suggest is that you remove one of them and keep one. Panda AV seems to be good.
---
I don't think you can get malware just by downloading COMBOFIX. In addition, you should not run COMBOFIX without supervision. You should run it if your computer shows signs of infection (Virtuemonde), with supervision.
--
Yes, Windows Vista is fully compatible with Spybot-SD. You just need to right-click RUN AS ADMIN.
--

3. And finally, anyone needing slightly used, above mentioned anti-virus software please email me…LOL!!!:funny:
Please do not "advertise".

tashi
2008-06-15, 21:29
Hello,

So my hats off to SpyBot and yes the check was mailed...LOL!:angel:

Thank you very much for donating and glad you like our program. :)

Please do not "advertise".

T'was a joke. ;)

drragostea
2008-06-15, 21:42
T'was a joke. ;)

XD That depended on the program subscription. Some only install on one. Others on three.

SM Pro and System Suite seem to be awfully expensive for me. :laugh::euro::santa::police:

shelf life
2008-06-15, 23:14
NirCmd.exe is a command-line utility and is a component of combofix. Some AV/anti-malware may flag this and other utilities as being a "unwanted application" ie: potential hack tool.