PDA

View Full Version : Xp Sp3?

Pages : [1] 2

chewdz
2008-06-19, 07:59
I am looking through the Custom updates from Microsoft Updates when a message appears for me to download the SP3 for my SP2 computer(WinXP Home Edition). Should I download SP3 now or should I wait until it is available in my automatic updates?

drragostea
2008-06-19, 21:40
Custom updates as in the AUTOMATIC UPDATES on your desktop? Or by visiting the Windows Update website?

--
Overview of Windows XP SP3 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en).
--

In general, the Windows XP SP3 improves performance and stability of the XP OS, as well fixing minor errors and making minor tweaks. I'm sure it'll do good for your PC.

The file, I got from Windows Update was a 76MB or so file. You should be able to install it easily.

chewdz
2008-06-20, 08:38
it is in the custom update in the microsoft update website. But will the SP3 update make my computer unstable and more vunerable to viruses if the installation is unsuccessful or corrupted? i hope that they can revert the changes like the one in vista.

Rednose
2008-06-20, 17:55
Hi chewdz :)

I don't think you have to be afraid that something goes wrong. I have installed SP3 on more 30 pc's now, and have no problems reported :)

Greetz, Red.

drragostea
2008-06-20, 23:01
it is in the custom update in the microsoft update website. But will the SP3 update make my computer unstable and more vunerable to viruses if the installation is unsuccessful or corrupted? i hope that they can revert the changes like the one in vista.

Hm, a custom update? I see.

There's no need to be "paranoid" about security updates. They are there to update and improve system stability and performance. SP3 will do good for your OS. Like RedNose said, shouldn't thirty SP3 OS's convince you yet? ; )

chewdz
2008-06-22, 08:47
I don't think you have to be afraid that something goes wrong. I have installed SP3 on more 30 pc's now, and have no problems reported :)

30 PCs? Ok. I believe you. So should I install it from the website itself or I should wait for the update to come to me after some time?

drragostea
2008-06-22, 16:39
30 PCs? Ok. I believe you. So should I install it from the website itself or I should wait for the update to come to me after some time?

If you want the update ASAP I would suggest downloading it directly from Windows Update.

If you want to wait for it, I'll doubt it'll come any time sooner to Auto Updates. ;0

bitman
2008-06-22, 19:34
Windows Update/Upgrade rules to live by:

In general, most Microsoft Service Packs contain no additional security fixes that haven't already been released as individual 'HotFix' Sercurity Updates via Windows Automatic Update. The exception was Windows XP Service Pack 2, which significantly improved the security profile of Windows XP, but also complicated the installation process and increased the potential for failure on any PC that already had stability or malware issues.

It's generally less risky in today's environment of quickly evolving malware and exploits to enable Windows Automatic Updates and allow it to install the monthly Security Updates than to wait and do them manually at a later time. Unless you religously perform these updates before doing any significant browsing the risk of being attacked is now usually higher than the chance of a security patch creating a problem itself, especially as more time elapses.

However, the risk of problems due to installing a major service pack for any product is always higher, since it often changes many things at once. The intelligent thing to do here is to plan when the change occurs rather than let it happen via Automatic Updates. This way you can both research any potential problems with your hardware or other software before installing and also control when it happens so you have time to resolve any unexpected problems or in a worst case, backout the update entirely.

Nothing I've mentioned changes no matter how complex or 'simple' the major update might be, nor whether you have significant computer knowledge yourself or not. Someone like myself might research at an extremely technical level, while you may simply choose to ask in forums relating to your PC hardware or other friends with computers for their opinions.

The real important choice is timing the update when you have time to deal with any unforseen issues and aren't putting yourself at an even higher risk due to other personally critical situations, like the completion of a business or personal project or end of a school semester. Nothing about computers is any different than anything else in life, bad planning will simply create trouble.

Most simply think computers are more complex and allow that to confuse them. In reality they are much simpler than a car, but making rash decisions about doing something major at a critical time is obviously just asking for disaster and that's exactly what you'll get if that's how you make the decision.

Bitman

Rednose
2008-06-23, 04:33

It's not that much if you consider that an average family with kids have about 2 - 3 pc's :)

Greetz, Red.

chewdz
2008-06-23, 11:08
bitman: your explanation is quite complcated but at least for me it is understandable :D So let me get it right. U mean that SP3 is just combining all the previous updates and hotfixes installed onto the computer as one update(SP3)?

so u all recommend me to install directly from the Windows Update website?
any ways to uninstall it if something goes wrong? (I do not have any external HDDs or DVD ROMs to backup my computer) E.g. from safe mode.

drragostea
2008-06-23, 16:53
I do not see how something wrong should go on, it will be unlikely but not impossible.

bitman's meticulous and well-thought explanation is saying that most Service Packs are nothing more than a bunch of improvements and fixes bundled into one. It does not take care of security issues because individual hotfixes (in other words, security patches released every month) have taken care of that role already.

Also, it would be best [and less risky] to install it automatically (ASAP), so your PC will be less susceptible to vulnerabilities.

Also timing is important because you do not want to do something wrong in a "critical" (important...very) situation. In some cases it might be an important document or project. If something goes wrong in that "critical" situation, then it's over.
--

If you are unsatisfied with SP3, then feel free to uninstall it via ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window. You'll be reverted back to Windows XP SP2.

bitman
2008-06-24, 07:55
bitman: your explanation is quite complcated but at least for me it is understandable :D So let me get it right. U mean that SP3 is just combining all the previous updates and hotfixes installed onto the computer as one update(SP3)?

so u all recommend me to install directly from the Windows Update website?
any ways to uninstall it if something goes wrong? (I do not have any external HDDs or DVD ROMs to backup my computer) E.g. from safe mode.

Yes, though as already mentioned there are a few additional items included in XP SP2 that weren't included in earlier individual updates, but they aren't intended for security either.

And yes, I'd suggest that you decide when you prefer to have the update occur. You should find a way to make backups of important data files and preferably have your original installation disks available for a reinstall of Windows in the worst case scenario. This is why you want to control when the update happens, so you can try to uninstall SP3 first, but have time to reinstall or take the PC to someone who can help if something really goes wrong.

I'm not saying you'll actually have any problems, but if you assume that you might, you'll always be ready if you do. As a network administrator I always assumed something might fail, so I was always happily surprised when everything went well, but was also ready if it didn't.

Bitman

kenpitcher4
2008-06-25, 01:35
Chewdz, Before you actually download the SP3 it would do you a world of good to go to HP Forum and scroll through the many, many entries relating to your question. You will be very pleased that you did.

I have an HP 1637 with XP Media Center and when I (like many others) took that update, I lost sound, graphics (several drivers), it turned into a nightmare. If you really want to do this they have step by step procedures you can follow at the forum. Better yet just post your same question there and let one of them walk you through it.

chewdz
2008-06-25, 12:31
Chewdz, Before you actually download the SP3 it would do you a world of good to go to HP Forum and scroll through the many, many entries relating to your question. You will be very pleased that you did.

Mind if you give my the link of the forum? If not i will have to search for it for a long time. Thx in advance!:santa:

kenpitcher4
2008-06-25, 21:13
Go to http://forums11.itrc.hp.com

Or go to www.hp.com and follow forum links

Or Google hp forums and click on IT Resource Center Forums

First one goes right in

drragostea
2008-06-26, 00:40
I got something similar *scratches head.
--
http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/help/forums.do
--

chewdz
2008-06-26, 12:17
Hmmm.... From the HP Forum website, i found this thread.

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1242913

One of the post indicated that SP3 have problems with Norton Internet Security(NIS).
A quote of the post:

"Just today, I've heard of SP3 issues with Norton Internet Security. This was on a Help Desk podcast. These technicians manage Miami university (of Ohio) help desk. They suggested holding off on the download.

You can always trust Cheryl's suggestions."

So I think I should hold back the installing of SP3 since I have NIS 2008 installed on my computer. Any suggestions?

By the way, I would like to ask another question. Can I have a reinstall of my current version of Windows XP if anything happened to my computer(viruses, major crashes and so on) many times? I'm afraid that the genuine CD could not be used as I heard that Microsoft have put in a technology that would eventually disable the disc from installing when I install the OS too many times. That would not be a good news for me. :sad:

drragostea
2008-06-26, 17:38
So I think I should hold back the installing of SP3 since I have NIS 2008 installed on my computer. Any suggestions?

I think you are becoming paranoid. You will not be able to hold back forever, because NIS 2008 will always be out there. There were just some false positives detected by Norton AV when Windows XP SP3 is installed.

If you want to hold back, I can't force to download it. What I can suggest is that you momentarily disable your NIS until the installation is complete. Then you can turn it back on.
--

By the way, I would like to ask another question. Can I have a reinstall of my current version of Windows XP if anything happened to my computer(viruses, major crashes and so on) many times? I'm afraid that the genuine CD could not be used as I heard that Microsoft have put in a technology that would eventually disable the disc from installing when I install the OS too many times. That would not be a good news for me. :sad:

If you had a serious trojan with a keylogger and backdoor on a heavily infected computer, then it would be best to reformat to remove it's existence from your computer.

Reformatting/reinstalling would be your decision. However, reinstalling multiple times in a short period (say months) can really strain your hard drive and the OS itself.

Don't be afraid to use the Recovery Discs. That is why it is there for you. Psh. Technologies these days will disable you from recovery? That is just a bunch of... !!!.

If you don't want conflicts... disable NAV and install SP3. Disable TeaTimer if you have it too because I'm sure you don't want to be bombard with prompts. Mistakenly if you clicked denied on a change when install SP3, it may mean bad news.

chewdz
2008-06-28, 10:34
[FONT="Tahoma"]
Don't be afraid to use the Recovery Discs. That is why it is there for you. Psh. Technologies these days will disable you from recovery? That is just a bunch of... !!!.

I mean the Windows XP OEM disc. Is that considered as a recovery disc?

chewdz
2008-06-28, 10:57
I have found a FAQ by Symantec regarding the problems after the installation of the SP3

http://solutions.symantec.com/sdccommon/asp/symcu_defcontent_view.asp?ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=b32555cd-1b26-4041-abac-882faf8d365f&docid=20080530144453EN

If the problems really appear, should I use the tool that Symantec provided for us to remove the registry entries that were created when installing SP3? I'm afraid that the tool might mess up the current settings and screw my computer up.

drragostea
2008-06-29, 02:22
Is the OEM disc like the one that comes with the box?

I'm not sure about it. Did you purchase just the box or did the discs come with your PC?

Actually the solution is right there.

You have NIS 2008, then it's good. Run LIVEUPDATE and make sure it is properly updated with the latest definitions.

Then install SP3. If you are experiencing problems the fix is available for download.

chewdz
2008-06-29, 08:22
When I bought it like 2 weeks ago from a computer shop, the person who sold it to me said that Microsoft have stopped producing the one in box. Instead, it is just like a flat "cardboard" with the product key and cd inside.

But I'm not sure whether the update has been installed onto my computer, so i'll give it the updating a try. :santa:

drragostea
2008-06-29, 18:40
Ah, I remember the disc in a plastic case with the Product Key. I'm not so sure, because I've never tried it. I lost the OEM disc after moving. However, I use the Recovery Discs. So I can't help you there.

Even if you attempted to reformat, try to load the OEM disc. See, does it provide a recovery option? In other words does it enable the user to re-install Windows XP?

chewdz
2008-07-03, 11:33
As in load the disc in before the HDD boots up? I think the setup have the recovery option there. but what does the recovery in the setup do? by using the system restore points in the computer?

drragostea
2008-07-03, 21:03
Just need to get back on track after a few days off this topic...

You are attempting to install Windows XP SP3 correct, but you are afraid that Norton IS 2008 will conflict?

Now you are attempting to do a System Recovery (reformat the computer)?

System Restore gives you the option to "go back" in time, like a reversal. However, recovery completely wipes the whole hard drive and starts fresh (no Service Packs).

If you would like to install SP3 I would suggest you take the chance, as the tools provided by Norton can fix the problems.

Can you boot Windows normally (sorry there's so much going on, it's hard to keep track with this thread)?

Are you still having Malware trouble/problems?
-
I think that the OEM discs will provide a SYSTEM RECOVERY option (format). I would STRONGLY suggest you BACKUP ALL your data before doing so.
----

I think you are becoming paranoid. You will not be able to hold back forever, because NIS 2008 will always be out there. There were just some false positives detected by Norton AV when Windows XP SP3 is installed.

If you want to hold back, I can't force to download it. What I can suggest is that you momentarily disable your NIS until the installation is complete. Then you can turn it back on.
--

If you had a serious trojan with a keylogger and backdoor on a heavily infected computer, then it would be best to reformat to remove it's existence from your computer.

If you don't want conflicts... disable NAV and install SP3. Disable TeaTimer if you have it too because I'm sure you don't want to be bombard with prompts. Mistakenly if you clicked denied on a change when install SP3, it may mean bad news.

chewdz
2008-07-05, 10:14
Are you still having Malware trouble/problems?
-
I think that the OEM discs will provide a SYSTEM RECOVERY option (format). I would STRONGLY suggest you BACKUP ALL your data before doing so.
----

I don't i have any malware problems as i just installed this new XP OS not long ago. However, i have tried installing SP3 onto my friend's XP with mcafee security centre. No conflicts though. I do not dare to try and 'experiment' with SP3 on THIS computer as you know, i am worried( thats me (: ) Guess i do not have to use NIS after my subscription ends and changed to mcafee. I am a fan of Mcafee u see..... :santa:

Like i had said in the previous posts, i do not have any medium to backup my files(except for cd-roms and that would take up a long time to store 10+GB of files)

blues
2008-07-05, 10:53
drragostea: reinstalling multiple times in a short period (say months) can really strain your hard drive and the OS itself.

i have heard that once before, can it also cause errors formatting the computer? because i have formatted MANY times to get rid of traces and files from uninstalled programs, because the tracks cleaners like ccleaner doesnt get rid of everything, and some files i wont find myself. but i dont use tracks cleaners right now.

has anyone been getting sp3 from automatic updates? i think i have seen sp3 on microsoft update, but i have overlooked it and only found silverlight and some drivers.

i will wait till it will come out on automatic updates, because microsoft may fix errors in sp3 before it comes through automatic updates.

i will also burn what i have on the computer on cd/dvd before downloading sp3 just to be sure nothing goes wrong.

drragostea
2008-07-05, 19:59
@chewd & blues.

@chewd, you're a McAfee fan. Okay, I can accept that, nothing against it. Though like I said before NIS 2008 may conflict. Holding back for now... will just last as long for now. Support for SP2 will eventually end in 2010 I think?

If you would like... you can continue using SP2 until the Norton suscription runs out.

Sad thing is that it is sort of violating the contract between the company and user. Norton automatically renews every year, thus another 40-60$ on the users credit card. Chewd, if you can get a external HDD, then get one. It's a good way to backup ALL your data.

@blues, reformatting just wipes the whole drive clean. It removes ALL traces of the installed and uninstall programs. Every single bit. I think it would be futile to reformat several times in a row or between a short period of time just to do that. I use it for a year or so then reformat. I do the usual "housework" like compacting the registry (NOT registry cleaning) and defragmenting my drive.

Have you checked (+chewd) for Windows XP SP3 in WINDOWS UPDATES? Because the one on Microsoft Update is significantly larger. It should look like when you are about to install a new SP. SP2 for example (screen in Windows Update). But first run Windows Update in CUSTOM. This way you get both drivers, miscellaneous, and critical updates. I believe SP3 is in the CUSTOM. If not then it's in the 'recommended'.

blues
2008-07-05, 20:10
when does sp3 come on automatic updates?

drragostea
2008-07-05, 20:14
I'm not a automatic update fan, I update manually on Windows Update. It might be a long wait. Weeks. Months... Years... who knows?

Go the extra step and check it yourself blues.

Terminator
2008-07-06, 01:36
If I understand right The service packs only appear if your system meets all the requirements though if you have an out-of-date driver or program it won't appear.

blues
2008-07-07, 16:09
this was the only requirements i found: Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Home Edition N; Windows XP Media Center Edition; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional N; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Starter Edition; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
Windows® XP

it is here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en

i dont think out of date drivers does matter.

YoKenny
2008-07-07, 18:00
when does sp3 come on automatic updates? It came June 10th for me with the monthly updates package.

I have had it installed on my XP Home and Pro systems since then without problems.

blues
2008-07-07, 18:25
It came June 10th for me with the monthly updates package.

I have had it installed on my XP Home and Pro systems since then without problems.

thanks yokenny:) i think ill be waiting till it comes automatically, it maybe comes out at different dates at different countrys.

YoKenny
2008-07-07, 18:39
thanks yokenny:) i think ill be waiting till it comes automatically, it maybe comes out at different dates at different countrys. What country are you in?

blues
2008-07-07, 18:44
What country are you in?

isnt it you from the hphosts forum? i thought you know it. i am from Norway.

drragostea
2008-07-07, 19:47
Instead of waiting, blues, have you attempted to check for it manually via Windows Update?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/sp3/default.mspx
--

blues
2008-07-07, 20:00
Instead of waiting, blues, have you attempted to check for it manually via Windows Update?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/sp3/default.mspx
--

yes i have, but i will wait till it comes through automatic updates, maybe microsoft will find possible errors they fixes before it comes through automatic updates. i have said exactly that before in this thread.

drragostea
2008-07-07, 20:14
So did you see SP3 on the site?

If you plan to wait, then it's your choice. Wait.

blues
2008-07-07, 22:55
So did you see SP3 on the site?

If you plan to wait, then it's your choice. Wait.

why dont you use glasses?

http://www.hicojackson.com/mylars/images/Misc/17525.jpg

:)

drragostea
2008-07-07, 23:13
Apparently, I'm having trouble understanding whether you have seen SP3 or not in Windows Update.

Edit: blues, try refraining from posting large images, as it is may be a strain on dial-up users.

blues
2008-07-07, 23:31
Apparently, I'm having trouble understanding whether you have seen SP3 or not in Windows Update.

havent you seen this: i think i have seen sp3 on microsoft update, but i have overlooked it and only found silverlight and some drivers.

drragostea: Instead of waiting, blues, have you attempted to check for it manually via Windows Update?

yes i have, but i will wait till it comes through automatic updates, maybe microsoft will find possible errors they fixes before it comes through automatic updates. i have said exactly that before in this thread.

so yes, i have seen sp3 on microsoftupdate/windowsupdate:)

edit: drragostea, sorry it was a joke. maybe the admins should remove the image

drragostea
2008-07-07, 23:38
Thanks for clarifying. Now to play Naruto!

Haha.

I see. Then I'll dismiss it. It's been a month or more already, and if Microsoft found flaws... then it would have been updated and patched already.
--
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/applesauce_013/firefox.jpg
--

From your previous posts, I think you're leaning to the paranoid side. Honest.

blues
2008-07-07, 23:50
Thanks for clarifying. Now to play Naruto!

Haha.

I see. Then I'll dismiss it. It's been a month or more already, and if Microsoft found flaws... then it would have been updated and patched already.
--
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/applesauce_013/firefox.jpg
--

From your previous posts, I think you're leaning to the paranoid side. Honest.

previous posts? if you mean in this thread, yes you are probably right. and maybe in the suggestions to spybot thread. i have just been trying to answer questions in some of the other threads. honest:)

i see you are watching all my threads in the forum haha

drragostea
2008-07-08, 00:09
Nope. Not only that, I mean previous threads in the past too. You seem quite... confused.

Answering threads? Doesn't look like you're doing your job. Jk.

Remember that thread, where I posted Windows XP Pirated Edition? I recall that the title was called "SUGGESTIONS". That was where you were asking lots and lots of questions. And you were constantly holding back on SP3.

*sigh. You plan to wait for it on Automatic Updates and install by itself? Yet you say Norton IS 2008 will conflict. You're going in a loop. Looks like it.

Note: When you quote... try not to include the link to the image.

blues
2008-07-08, 00:28
Nope. Not only that, I mean previous threads in the past too. You seem quite... confused.

Answering threads? Doesn't look like you're doing your job. Jk.

Remember that thread, where I posted Windows XP Pirated Edition? I recall that the title was called "SUGGESTIONS". That was where you were asking lots and lots of questions. And you were constantly holding back on SP3.

*sigh. You plan to wait for it on Automatic Updates and install by itself? Yet you say Norton IS 2008 will conflict. You're going in a loop. Looks like it.

Note: When you quote... try not to include the link to the image.

i have never tried norton 2008, it was maybe 2007 or 2006. and i was saying that norton wasnt working perfect on my computer, and that i couldnt connect to the internet all the times.

suggestions to spybot was it called look at the thread yourself.

i doesnt understand what you mean when saying this: Answering threads? Doesn't look like you're doing your job. Jk.
what is jk. ?
so you say that i hasnt been any good at answering questions, well i have tried my best so i dont know why you are attaccing me. please clarify what you mean by saying such evil things about me:mad: i just try to HELP people.
why did you answer the questions i had in the suggestions to spybot thread when you are like this? it is just not only me that has gone offtopic in threads.

so i was sitting there writing and writing to you in minutes in the suggestions to spybot thread and you didnt care about was i was saying at all, i understand that NOW.

drragostea
2008-07-08, 00:40
what is jk. ?

Let me clarifying. But jk, it was just an acronym for Just kidding. In other words, I was just joking.

You are taking things too serious. I am in no way "attacking", 'tackling', or harassing you. If I must, then I will discontinue any further communication to you blues. IF that is necessary.

blues, LISTEN. IT's LOGIC!!! Think about it, if I wasn't even listening to you why the heck would I use my TIME to respond to your threads?!!!

I would not have even bother talking and providing tips and solutions!

chewdz
2008-07-09, 16:00
I do hope that Microsoft can make some changes to SP3 and make it known to the public ASAP. It is a waste of time to be waiting at home thinking of the possible dates of the release of the 'safe' SP3. Just take me as an example. I am taking my major exams(Cambridge GCE O Levels) in about three month's time and i am worrying about this every single day. Afraid that my computer is vulnerable to more viruses and stuffs like that..... hard to concentrate on my studies you know....

By the way, can i request that this thread and the other thread: "Vista SP1" to stay in the Tavern (not sticky, but if the admin feels the need to, they may do so) so that it can benefit others and also that i can be able to track the progress after my major exams are over. Thanks a lot. :santa:

blues
2008-07-09, 19:13
not so long time before it comes:beerbeerb: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/07/09/xp-sp3-goes-on-automatic-updates-this-thursday

drragostea
2008-07-09, 23:23
@chewd, like I said before in the previous threads [(;d) in the Tavern], you can find this thread no matter what, when, or where.

As long you are subscribed to it, you can find it anything... as long you are logged on as chewd ; ).

Of course, it can't stay like a sticky or be in view in the Tavern forever, as it will sooner of later be... sunk into the other piles of old threads.

You can check this thread... if there are new updates in your User Control Panel.

@blues, looks like you were right about SP3 coming to automatic updates.

However, I will stay firm with the fact that I've spent my time and effort giving you advice, tips and contributing to the thread. If I was not listening, then I would have gone off-topic.

drragostea
2008-07-09, 23:39
Quick note:

FYI
--
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=210839&postcount=88
--

blues
2008-07-10, 00:01
drragostea sounds like a girl. Wednesday, July 10 2008? i thought it was on thursday it comes, it is wednesday 9 juli here right now. i am glad you were trying to help me:)

drragostea
2008-07-10, 00:13
No problem. blues sounds like a paranoid, disturbed, whining lunatic. :P

We're in different time zones, right? : ).

blues
2008-07-10, 00:33
i dont know what time zone you are in, here it is night right now. is it day where you are? i guess it is morning to you:coffee: because you seems to not have been here when it was day to me today. i have been on this forum almost in this hole day i think, but i really dont remember. i think i saw you on the utorrent forum, with the username drragostea and you sayed you where using utorrent, i thought it was your brother that used utorrent and not you, according to one of your other threads on this forum:p: i will just look at some threads now and go to bed and maybe answering some more threads tomorrow. goodnight or good day wherever you are:)

drragostea
2008-07-10, 00:51
There's something called "speaking" for my brother :). You have an account there too?

It is evening at the moment, 6:50PM from where I am typing from. Quite a breeze and quite some warm weather.

Quite some observation. The average user wouldn't notice the times.

chewdz
2008-07-10, 15:12
I hope that Microsoft can release it onto Automatic Updates soon. 7.00 EDT. What does EDT mean? By the way, my time zone is +8.00 GMT

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-10, 15:26
chewdz:

What does EDT mean?
It usually means:
EDT = Eastern Daylight Time in North America = UTC - 4 hours
However, it can also be:
EDT = Eastern Daylight Time in Australia = UTC + 11 hours
See:
Time zone abbreviations
http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/

chewdz
2008-07-10, 15:33
Hmm... Thanks for the explaination :santa: Now i wished that SP3 would be released on AU(Automatic Updates) faster. Let me see..... So in 7.00 EDT, what time is it in Singapore(GMT +8.00)?

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-10, 15:46
chewdz:

... Let me see..... So in 7.00 EDT, what time is it in Singapore(GMT +8.00)?
That is why I referenced a URL on the following site:
timeanddate.com
http://www.timeanddate.com/
See the Time Zone Converter on that site:
The World Clock – Time Zone Converter
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
________

GMT/UTC +8 minus GMT/UTC -4 = 12 hours
7.00 AM EDT = 19:00 or 7:00 PM in Singapore

blues
2008-07-10, 17:47
There's something called "speaking" for my brother :). You have an account there too?

It is evening at the moment, 6:50PM from where I am typing from. Quite a breeze and quite some warm weather.

Quite some observation. The average user wouldn't notice the times.

no i dont have an account there, i was just spying on you:D:

utorrent is unchecked in avasts p2p shield, i have seen it myself and i have read about it on the avast forum. i think there is a conflict between them. i uninstalled antivir and installed avast because i cant update antivir all the times. and avg is just a joke: http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=18704&hl= http://www.avg-watch.org/

i havent got sp3 yet, but it comes when it comes.

drragostea
2008-07-10, 20:25
no i dont have an account there, i was just spying on you:D:

utorrent is unchecked in avasts p2p shield, i have seen it myself and i have read about it on the avast forum.

Now when you said it, I don't feel like moving back to AVG anymore.

blues, what's the conflict with avast! and uTorrent?

@blues, you're a stalker. -.-"

blues
2008-07-10, 20:39
Now when you said it, I don't feel like moving back to AVG anymore.

blues, what's the conflict with avast! and uTorrent?

@blues, you're a stalker. -.-"

i dont bother to read it again, and i dont remember wath it was. why dont you just look for it yourself?

drragostea
2008-07-10, 20:52
I can't seem to find it. But do you recall what it was about?

blues
2008-07-10, 21:09
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30011.msg247365#msg247365
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33964.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28467.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36782.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34173.msg286033#msg286033

is this enough for you? why didnt you go to the avast forum and search for UTORRENT?

drragostea
2008-07-10, 21:13
Sorry for the late reply, blues. My apologies. I haven't been on avast! forums for sometime. I've started a thread. Thanks anyways.

blues
2008-07-12, 15:57
so your brother is using avast too? or were you just curious what this was about since you were asking me? i mean the possible conflict between avast and utorrent.

i have just uninstalled utorrent and disabled the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" and "SSDP Discovery Service" services. and disabled upnp in the router, but if i was going to use utorrent with these disabled then i must portforward. i have also uninstalled 7-zip because i have seen that rar files are mostly used for pirated software,music and movies. i have never seen legitimate reasons for using rar files, so i uninstalled it.

blues
2008-07-12, 18:19
sp3 hasnt even tried to install itself. in my windowsupdate log in the windows folder today, it was a message saying that no updates were found.

drragostea
2008-07-12, 21:29
My brother has a seperate labtop. He uses avast! 4.8, so that was why I was asking.

Seemed that avast! and uTorrent should be fine if I don't experiencing any errors. (P2P shield).

What's with the Universal Plug and Play option?

Heard that if you disable or something your downloads will be faster.

blues
2008-07-12, 21:33
i dont know if it will go faster when disabling it. it is in control panel and then administrative tools and then services.

drragostea
2008-07-12, 21:46
I've heard about this "BitTorrent" program, and this "DNA" feature. :P People are saying that it'll speed up downloads.

My brother is asking questions, as he does not want to create another account. He's younger than me, and still learning.

chewdz
2008-07-13, 09:13
talking about the DNA feature, i happen to find it inside my computer 'packaged' with a game. but i don't know what can it do. speed up the game server connection?

blues
2008-07-13, 11:43
My brother has a seperate labtop. He uses avast! 4.8, so that was why I was asking.

Seemed that avast! and uTorrent should be fine if I don't experiencing any errors. (P2P shield).

What's with the Universal Plug and Play option?

Heard that if you disable or something your downloads will be faster.

what searchengine/startpage are you using? i am using www.google.no

here is about upnp: http://www.grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/security/Unwanted-remote-configuration-for-home-routers-Update--/news/101804

http://www.pcworld.com/article/141399/flash_attack_could_take_over_your_router.html

i suspect someone has configured and sometimes restarted my router through upnp remotely, so i disabled the two services on the computer and upnp in the router. but that may require us to malually configure some programs that uses upnp. the computer will be better protected when disabling them i think. and it also saves resources when the upnp services and other services is disabled on the computer.

i should have disabled more services, but i have screwed up my computer before when disabling some services. maybe i will also disable more services, but they MAY be needed fore some things. i dont think i need this ones
"Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" "Wireless Zero Configuration" "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" "Tjenesten Portable Media Serial Number" Server "Remote Registry" "Remote Desktop Help Session Manager" "Print Spooler" "NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing" "Infrared overvåking" "Terminal Services" and maybe this if not sending error reports "Error Reporting Service"

have you disabled one of these without problems? some of the services in the services list is system critical and should never be disabled.

I've heard about this "BitTorrent" program, and this "DNA" feature. :P People are saying that it'll speed up downloads.

My brother is asking questions, as he does not want to create another account. He's younger than me, and still learning.

i have never heard about the dna feature.

drragostea
2008-07-13, 21:17
Who every knew the UPnP could be so dangerous? Like vulnerable.

I disabled UPnP with the tool in the link.

I gave this "uTorrent" a test. I'll see how disabling it might affect the downloads.\

Hm. The PC World article says that a majority of home routers are vulnerable. If I should disable them... instant messenging software might not work.

blues
2008-07-13, 21:23
i am not sure if the security exploits are patched, but it is still safer to disable it, i saw strange things in my routers logs sometimes, but i dont know what has happened. i think upnp is there to make things easier.

drragostea
2008-07-13, 21:27
Maybe... the article mostly said that UPnP is for like IM, online games, and such.

I like the Sims :laugh:.

blues
2008-07-13, 21:36
:) i have stopped playing games some time ago, they have become to advanced for me. i liked the old nintendo games the most. but you, remember that it is almost night to me when you are here, so i was sleeping on everything this night.

drragostea
2008-07-13, 21:56
Actually I think you can tweak it a bit. Since this is the Tavern after all...

The early generation Nintendo games were made to those "box" monitors (4:3). It may sound weird, but for me to run the games to their limit and at maximum resolution, I would get a S-Video cable (gold plated) along with two gold plated audio cables. Usually it's yellow, white, and red in the U.S.

Then you plug the cables onto a HDTV (Full HD 1080) and just play it.

Modern HDTV's have improved sound quality and picture.

:laugh:

blues
2008-07-13, 22:14
Actually I think you can tweak it a bit. Since this is the Tavern after all...

The early generation Nintendo games were made to those "box" monitors (4:3). It may sound weird, but for me to run the games to their limit and at maximum resolution, I would get a S-Video cable (gold plated) along with two gold plated audio cables. Usually it's yellow, white, and red in the U.S.

Then you plug the cables onto a HDTV (Full HD 1080) and just play it.

Modern HDTV's have improved sound quality and picture.

:laugh:

tweak it? i didnt fully understand that one.

it is yellow, white, and red here too, i have a 4:3 tv. that one in the livingroom (or what you call it) is widescreen, but the colors have just begun to show up wrong. i am thinking about buying an lcd hdtv some time. sound quality on a television? are you joking? i have recently buyed a subwoofer, but have tried it just one time, because i have been on this forums. do you have a hdtv? some of they i have seen is grey when you look at them from the side.

i wonder whats up with calendarofupdates, the site seems down. i usually visit it everyday, but have not joined the forums over there.

drragostea
2008-07-13, 22:47
Yep, it's down. COU. I visit it everyday. I just planned to see the latest version of AdAware 2008 since the other sites are dated.

By "tweak" in English, is to change. Like alter or modify in a way.

In fact I do have a HDTV, that's why I brought it up in the first place.

Yes, HDTV and LCD TV's have improved sound quality than those original 4:3 monitors.

I've seen some people use those "surround" sound systems, instead of the speakers that were provided with the TV. I'm assuming you're using another speaker and not the ones on the TV?

blues
2008-07-13, 23:10
sites are dated? you maybe mean the detection updates. i think i remember that i downloaded the program from www.download .com it was "ad-aware 2008"

i watch mostly tv in the livingroom. i use a surround system on the bed room on the tv there, to see movies. but i will use the surround system when i watch other tv programs at a later time. but i dont have back speakers yet, just front, center and subwoofer, and a useless surround receiver that is to weak, and a dvd player. i have yet to hear a tv with good sound, the sound is a pain. how is the picture on your tv?

drragostea
2008-07-14, 01:10
By dated, I mean not-to-date. The current version is... 7.1.0.10 while download.com promotes 7.1.0.08. It's program updates. Not detection updates.

Basically, I use a S-video cable and gold plated audio cables. Yellow, white, and red. From my PS2 to a Sony XBR-6.

2008-07-14, 03:02
I have a 9 speakers surround sound hookup, And a sony sound system manager. That all the speakers are connected to. The speakers are analog, but supposedly it up converts the signal to digital? Oh well, all i know is it sounds great! I have 6 gauge speaker wire on my all my speakers. I got my Ps2 and Wii connected to my element 22" lcd hdtv.:bigthumb: So ya, thought since we are on this topic of tv's and such and all that, i would tell my specs. :)

blues
2008-07-14, 10:51
i could see it now, that their ad-aware is dated. do you have so slow connection? it would have been better if they have the newest one so people with slow connections dont have to update the program updates after downloading ad-aware. i upgraded my connection a while ago, i had the slowest at first. but after getting the new speed, i found out that it was the same speed as before, so i phoned the isp but they said that they have upgraded it. but after checking the speed test at my isps site, it was still the same so i phoned them again and told them the speed, and he i talked with said i should have higher speed than i had. i also checked with a other Norwegian speedtest and the tests at dslreports. the one at dslreports showed wrong speed all the time, but that one is longer away from me than the other tests, so that maybe does matter.

the speaker wires i have is almost the cheapest you can get. i have heard that it doesnt matter what cable you have when the connection between the receiver and the player is digital, but some are of course more robust than the others. some says that coaxial cables are better than optical cables, but i dont know what is the best as i have tried mostly coaxial ones. but i used optical when hooking up the ps2.

i have difficulty to choose what antispyware is the best, i am mostly unsure about ad-aware. but ad-aware is the most popular one at www.download .com but that is maybe because it is well known.

Greyfox
2008-07-14, 12:11
... reformatting just wipes the whole drive clean. It removes ALL traces of the installed and uninstall programs. Every single bit.

drragostea, I just came across the above advice that you gave blues. For your own security you should be aware that this is not correct.

Reformatting a disk does not erase the data on the disk, only the address tables. There are a number of utilities that can restore data from a "reformatted" disk as many have found out the hard way. To remove sensitive data, a disk needs to be "wiped" and usually with a multipass wiping process.

drragostea
2008-07-15, 01:15
drragostea, I just came across the above advice that you gave blues. For your own security you should be aware that this is not correct.

Reformatting a disk does not erase the data on the disk, only the address tables. There are a number of utilities that can restore data from a "reformatted" disk as many have found out the hard way. To remove sensitive data, a disk needs to be "wiped" and usually with a multipass wiping process.

Sorry Greyfox, I didn't realize that. I didn't think I was as familiar as I thought about the reformat process. Thanks for making that clear.

So can you suggest any tools that will "multipass" and wipe it 'completely'?

@blues, I've noticed that before. Download.com does not give you the full download speed. What you are getting is normal, only for that website.

Say like you download it from another website, such as filehippo, then you'll be getting full speed.

I don't have a slow connection, and blues I think you're fine. If your ISP confirmed it is good, then you're okay.

blues
2008-07-15, 10:43
this is one: www.killdisk.com if it is that you mean. is filehippo safe? i have used majorgeeks, softpedia and some others. i have decided to use utorrent anyway, and turned on upnp. does someone know about a freeware program like 7-zip that can extract multiple rar files, like ones as r.001 and such? 7-zip just gives errors when doing that. i have tried extractnow, but i dont know if it is safe to use. i dont like the built in zip manager in xp, it hasnt so many features. i hope i didnt scare you with the upnp links, the only thing i was seeing was that the router was acting strange.

some security forums doesnt help people to remove malware if they use filesharing programs, they do it only if they uninstall them. however, some of them should be removed if they include malware themself.

this is from another security forum: we can not recommend to use filesharing programs and demands such programs uninstalled, before we help with cleaning logs.

but that in my opinion maybe gets some users to delete references to filesharing programs from their hijackthis logs or other logs.

Greyfox
2008-07-15, 12:04
..So can you suggest any tools that will "multipass" and wipe it 'completely'?...

drragostea,
There are many to choose from, including the one blues mentioned, which from memory has to be purchased.

There is some information here about wiping disks, and near the bottom of the page is a link to Eraser. which is a free, open source program.

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/2007/completely_erase_harddrive.asp

Hope that helps

blues
2008-07-15, 12:22
according to the site www.killdisk.com they have a free version too.

honda12
2008-07-15, 12:34
I always recommend DBan (http://dban.sourceforge.net/)

But can be quite advanced though

2008-07-15, 20:20
it works great. Wipes very nicely.

drragostea
2008-07-16, 21:12
@blues, yes, there some forums that might require that, although I haven't heard where.

Forums like SaferNetworking and WTT restrict the use of cracked software, warez, and others of that kind. Thanks blues, Greyfox, and honda12 for the suggestions.

I'll run 'killdisk' the next time I reformat. Good to bring that to discussion.

blues
2008-07-16, 21:27
i have run killdisk some months ago just to test it. i dont need it, but i might need it when i shall not have the computer anymore.

it is one security forum that gives spybot 2 of 6 points, and gives other antimalware 5 points, it is stupid. its all about money i think.

drragostea
2008-07-17, 00:28
And what security forum is that? Some viewers just judge Spybot-SD without updating first (I remember that from one thread).

Spybot is a fair, good program. It does not detect 'everything', but it targets specific entries.

drragostea
2008-07-17, 00:37
Just a question... do you run 'killdisk' prior to reformatting (eg. recovery option)?

blues
2008-07-17, 09:50
it is this site and forum www.spywarefri. dk/vaerktoj.htm it is danish, they havent even tested 1.6 yet.

yes, i have used it before formatting, i think you must do that.

chewdz
2008-07-25, 13:35
I would like to ask a question here. If I have Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 installed, should i uninstall it if i downloaded and installed Microsoft .NET Framework 2 to save space?

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-25, 13:50
chewdz:

I would like to ask a question here. If I have Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 installed, should i uninstall it if i downloaded and installed Microsoft .NET Framework 2 to save space?
No. You should leave .NET Framework 1.1 installed. Some applications do not run properly using .NET Framework 2 and continue to target the .NET Framework 1.1 runtime library.

chewdz
2008-07-25, 13:53
But the disk space jumped from 6.6GB to 7.32GB. Any problems with that?

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-25, 16:09
chewdz:

I based my recommendation in response to your original query in part on the following:
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 Compatibility
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms994381.aspx
Compatibility Testing Scenarios
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms994387.aspx
List of Breaking Changes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms994364.aspx

But the disk space jumped from 6.6GB to 7.32GB. Any problems with that?
If disk space is more of a concern than possible application incompatibility, do what you think is best.

drragostea
2008-07-25, 20:52
I don't plan to use 'killdisk' as I am not donating or selling my OS any time in the future.

I would like to ask what Microsoft .Net Framework is. I took a look at the Wikipedia article and it was too "complex".

blues
2008-07-25, 20:56
cdburnerxp requires .net framework http://www.cdburnerxp.se/help/Appendices/install-without-dotnet

and some other programs require it too, but i really dont know what it is or what it do.

bitman
2008-07-26, 23:46
I would like to ask what Microsoft .Net Framework is. I took a look at the Wikipedia article and it was too "complex".
It's a programming language, or more correctly, a framework to connect different programming languages and their libraries together.

See this link for a Microsoft Overview:

http://www.microsoft.com/net/Overview.aspx

Bitman

drragostea
2008-07-27, 03:12
Thank you for the explaination, bitman. From my perspective, I see the .Net Framework more for users who are in 'communication' buisness. Such as like a frequent user of Hotmail, Windows Live Messenger, and other communicative devices.

bitman
2008-07-27, 05:39
You're basically correct with the 'communication' statement, though the applications you mentioned don't themselves require the .NET Framework on the PC to operate, at least not HotMail. Though HotMail is web based, the overhead required to install a version of .NET to use it would limit the ability to roam to a PC where the user can't perform an installation. The 'back-end' HotMail servers very likely use .NET to authenticate the user however, since HotMail also uses a LiveID (was Passport) which is based on the .NET architecture.

.NET has been used in Microsoft products like the Windows Live OneCare protection suite and also in many other third-party management applications where an application on the local PC must communicate with a remote server based application. In these cases a secure authenticated connection between the local and remote system must exist to ensure that nothing on either end or in between can subvert the communications.

Bitman

chewdz
2008-07-27, 10:13
Are there any differences between .NET framework v1 and v2? Should i update to v3?

bitman
2008-07-27, 14:43
md usa spybot fan already answered this and blues sent you a link to the specifics for cdburnerxp. The point here is that the answer to this will always be "it depends". If you have an application that requires a version of .NET on the PC, it will indicate the version(s) that will work with it.

The reason this can be confusing is that unlike a typical program the .NET Framework is NOT completely upward comatible, since at each version various abilities have been removed or changed. This means that an application written to work with one version may not work with newer versions, so you must keep the correct version for that application installed.

At the same time, it's entirely possible to have multiple .NET versions installed at once, since they have been designed to co-exist with each other to allow this. In fact the .NET 2.0 installation even contains slightly updated components of the .NET 1.1 version required to allow them to co-exist. Ever noticed that they don't ask where to be installed like a typical application might? This is because they require a very specific installation and configuration to avoid any potential conflict with other versions on the same PC.

So overall, there's absolutely no reason to install any version of .NET on your PC unless an application you wish to install requires it. However, if it's already installed it's generally best to leave it alone, since it can be difficult to install and/or remove, and it will have to be re-installed later anyway if some other application requires it.

This is one of those 'optional' Windows Updates that you should simply ignore unless you really need it. Optional updates are just that, they are only required if you actually need their functionality, which many won't. Adding them just because they are there simply creates overhead and uses disk space. The point is, read the update descriptions first and if you're not sure just don't install them, you can always install them later if you eventually require them.

Bitman

drragostea
2008-07-27, 17:04
This explanation makes it a bit clearer about how .Net Framework is used. I also recall that there was this option which you can change the account type in the Control Panel. One was a normal account and the other was "Setup my account to use a .NET passport".
--

md usa spybot fan already answered this and blues sent you a link to the specifics for cdburnerxp.

Bitman, I'm sure you were referring to blues.

blues
2008-07-28, 11:37
i am sick of all this OPTIONAL updates, where is silverlight used other than on microsofts pages?

this from the microsoft popup is just stupid: Enhance your experience on Microsoft.com with Microsoft Silverlight.

install something only to get a better experience on microsofts sites? they are a pain to navigate anyway like adobes sites, i used a lot of time finding the flash controlpanel on the adobe sites but that is probably just me.

.net framework is rarely used for something, and sun should have uninstalled java when people are updating it to avoid INFECTIONS through java. some people i know didnt know that they had more than one java installed. it isnt strange that people get infected through java when it is like this.

im sure the malware makers have A LOT OF FUN infecting other peoples computers, they should think about the important documents and other things they have on THEIR OWN COMPUTERS, but what they have on their computers is only crap anyway:nono: im sure about that.

drragostea
2008-07-28, 23:43
I'm sure malware writers do have fun robbing innocent netizens of their privacy, money, and status. In my perspective, some people are just desperate or the goal to achieve something becomes too overwhelming, thus is what fuels their flame.

Microsoft is attempting to rival Adobe's Flash Player with their Silverlight, which in my opinion is somewhat fighting a losing battle. If not, then it's a uphill battle for Microsoft. What I also don't like is Microsoft computers being preloaded with junk (Weatherbug with HP) and Norton. I read a article once about how Sony's VAIO computers (or Sony brand PCs) charge you money to remove the junk. They give you a discount if you allow them to install more.

Remember, not every person on the globe (worldwide) is computer educated, like you and me. Some people don't even know what a firewall is, as they are connecting the vast cyber world for the first time, and are limited to only clicking and shutting down the computer.

No one software or computer is invincible.

2008-07-29, 07:39
good reply there drragostea. Have you noticed that there are freakin 11 pages on this thread?! haha.

blues
2008-07-29, 09:33
I'm sure malware writers do have fun robbing innocent netizens of their privacy, money, and status. In my perspective, some people are just desperate or the goal to achieve something becomes too overwhelming, thus is what fuels their flame.

Microsoft is attempting to rival Adobe's Flash Player with their Silverlight, which in my opinion is somewhat fighting a losing battle. If not, then it's a uphill battle for Microsoft. What I also don't like is Microsoft computers being preloaded with junk (Weatherbug with HP) and Norton. I read a article once about how Sony's VAIO computers (or Sony brand PCs) charge you money to remove the junk. They give you a discount if you allow them to install more.

Remember, not every person on the globe (worldwide) is computer educated, like you and me. Some people don't even know what a firewall is, as they are connecting the vast cyber world for the first time, and are limited to only clicking and shutting down the computer.

No one software or computer is invincible.

i feel like not installing my computer drivers anymore but i have heard that the chipset driver is important. i am sure some of the tings that comes with the computers is unnessecary. windvd just dont work with dvds anyway, but i dont sit and watch movies on the small computer display, it is boring and with a crappy soundquality with mostly only treble. and then there is the yamaha softsyntheziser that plays midi files, but i think there is other players that plays that too, and even windows mediaplayer.

here is the startup list that i have from spybot:

Located: HK_LM:Run, 000StTHK
command: 000StTHK.exe
file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\000StTHK.exe

Located: HK_LM:Run, 00THotkey
command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\00THotkey.exe
file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\00THotkey.exe

Located: HK_LM:Run, Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
command: "C:\Programfiler\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
file: C:\Programfiler\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe

Located: HK_LM:Run, Apoint
command: C:\Programfiler\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
file: C:\Programfiler\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe

Located: HK_LM:Run, avast!
command: C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
file: C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

Located: HK_LM:Run, SunJavaUpdateSched
command: "C:\Programfiler\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
file: C:\Programfiler\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe

Located: HK_LM:Run, SxgTkBar
command: SxgTkBar.exe
file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SxgTkBar.exe

Located: HK_LM:Run, TouchED
command: C:\Programfiler\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe
file: C:\Programfiler\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe

Located: HK_LM:Run, Tpwrtray
command: TPWRTRAY.EXE
file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPWRTRAY.EXE

Located: HK_CU:RunOnce, tscuninstall
command: %systemroot%\system32\tscupgrd.exe
file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\tscupgrd.exe

Located: HK_CU:RunOnce, nlsf
command: "%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetub.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetup.dll"
file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

Located: HK_CU:Run, ctfmon.exe
command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Located: HK_CU:Run, HostsServer
command: C:\Programfiler\HostsMan\hostssrv.exe --start
file: C:\Programfiler\HostsMan\hostssrv.exe

and some winlogon entries.

is the yamaha softsyntheziser necessary? maybe windows mediaplayer didnt play midis years ago, i dont remember. i can see that it plays midis now.

chewdz
2008-07-29, 11:21
Sometimes I just don't know what processes to disable for Windows startup as i know that disabling the wrong one will cause my computer to go "crazy". Any ideas on how do i know if the process is not needed for startup?

blues
2008-07-29, 12:12
Sometimes I just don't know what processes to disable for Windows startup as i know that disabling the wrong one will cause my computer to go "crazy". Any ideas on how do i know if the process is not needed for startup?

this one isnt really important i think: Located: HK_LM:Run, SunJavaUpdateSched
command: "C:\Programfiler\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
file: C:\Programfiler\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe

it is the java automatic updater, but if you disable it then you must check for updates manually on suns pages, and i recommend updating it so you dont get infected through java, this is if you have java. do someone of you have this one disabled without trouble?

the other thing is the services that is on the computer in the admin tools in the control panel, i have screwed up my computer before when disabled services that i THOUGHT i didnt need. not every service is used ONLY for the things in the descriptions, and you should also read the dependecies (or what it is called)

right now i have only disabled the dns client, wich i dont have any use for.

but it depends on what you do on your computer, and what you dont do and wich programs you have. be careful and ask someone that knows what they are talking about, i dont have much knowledge about all the services myself. and i dont know if all microsoft updates will be able to install when you have disabled some services.

maybe someone here has disabled some services without getting trouble and errors.

drragostea
2008-07-29, 19:25
If you do not know what the process is you can Google it or what ever your search engine choice is.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

For the JavaUpdater entry, I disabled because each new update takes around some months or so, so I wouldn't want leaving it on because it's draining my resources. The "ctfmon.exe" entry wouldn't be necessary (for me) unless your computer is using a international language besides English. The Adobe SpeedLauncher would only be necessary if you are a frequent user. For me, I'm pretty tight about what goes on, on startup :laugh: because I only have 512MB of RAM compared to modern giants with 1GB.

@129260, thanks for the compliment. I guess this might be the longest thread on the forum... while the 'hellzlittlespy' thread might come next. I also noticed you "jacked" my signature. :P Haha.

2008-07-29, 21:56
ya, i rly liked your idea of the welcome new members thing, so i decided to put it on there. :)

drragostea
2008-07-29, 21:57
Great. Now I have to change mine T.T

2008-07-29, 22:00
why? and what does t t mean? I'll change mine back if you want

drragostea
2008-07-30, 00:05
:clown: I'm just pulling your leg. In other words, I'm just joking. Don't take it seriously :laugh: (Tavern). Sorry if it made you think that way.

2008-07-30, 03:19
its aight.....but what does t t mean? lol. tisk tisk?

drragostea
2008-07-30, 04:00
Um. No.

T.T means more like tears coming from your eyes.

2008-07-30, 04:06
ok. I get it now. i'll have to remember that. I never saw that before. anywaz, u try out the new teatimer yet? its awesome!! I never realized how much the old one was slowing my system down! The new one is rly nice.

2008-07-30, 07:54
I love chocolate!! lol. Don't ask. I'm bored.

blues
2008-07-30, 08:21
talking about the java updater, look here: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=217908&postcount=85 watch the video, it is scary.

maybe we shouldnt update anything anyway:grandpa:

blues
2008-07-30, 08:47
have someone tried this one?: http://www.nkprods.com/ncleaner/

it sounds interesting. i found it posted in another forum.

drragostea
2008-07-30, 17:37
So it means the "automatic" update services? Isn't that the one in your Startup Manager blues?

I disabled the service.

blues
2008-07-30, 17:52
i think that is what they ment, but i may have misunderstand. java isnt showing up in my services list in the controlpanel, i dont think java works that way.

i have disabled some services today without problems, it was this ones: Infrarød overvåking, NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing, Print Spooler, Remote Desktop Help Session Manager and Remote Registry. i will maybe disable this one too: Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) but this ones isnt in the startup manager in spybot.

i havent disabled the javaupdater yet, but will maybe do it. maybe it stops by unchecking the automatic updates in java controlpanel. and i have not disabled the adobe thing either.

but right now i will install the new ccleaner that have just came out, it is fun with something new in it if that is the case.

drragostea
2008-07-30, 18:01
CCleaner 2.10 is pretty good. More like a all-in-one tool. As for the services, I don't touch it, less even look at it. My computer runs fine the way it is and I like it : ).

blues
2008-07-30, 18:06
i think our systems will be more secure by disabling some of them and probably faster, but it is best to be careful when disabling some of them. maybe the firewalls will show less prompts when disabling some services.

drragostea
2008-07-30, 18:16
Showing less prompts? Well, not all the time. It depends on what programs are accessing the System.

*Sigh. I don't know what's wrong with ShieldsUp! Test. I'm stumped. I sound like a jerk.

What the difference between a modem and a router :fear:?

blues
2008-07-30, 18:22
nothing to be scared of i think;) i dont fully trust shieldsup.

i dont know the difference, mine is called routermodem according to the word on it.

2008-07-30, 20:28
is a piece of equipment that connects 1 computer, and it dials your isp's (internet service provider) specific Internet access number to access the Internet. A router connects several computers together through ether wired or wireless connections. A router lets computers talk to each other, small networking. However, it is possible for both of them 2 exist inside 1 piece of equipment. For example, some ISP's offer a router/modem all in one. Which then allows your computers to connect to one another and access the internet through the modem. My setup is a separate modem and then i have a belkin router. :) Hope that explains it well enough!

blues
2008-07-30, 21:36
yes, it explains it well.:)

we had four computers connected to the router/modem some days ago, and i was just deleting them from the router afterwards when the visitors was leaving. (it sounds strange, i know) right now it is two computers here.

drragostea
2008-07-30, 22:25
Thank you 129260. Google searches... were too complex.

I knew it :yahoo:! Routers do connect multiple computers. Well that confirmed my doubts. So 129260, say like one labtop is on the second floor and the primary desktop is on the first floor. So you'll need to wire the labtop (Ethernet cable?) from the labtop down to the router/mode (1st floor) in order to connect to the Internet? Simultaneous connections (sharing connections) will slow down the download/upload speed of both PC's correct?

I heard that the router firewalls are pretty robust and are "better" in a way than software firewalls.

2008-07-30, 22:54
if it is a laptop, it can simply connect to the router via wireless capability. (If it has wireless capability.) Instead of going through the tedious process of using a very long Ethernet cable to connect it.

Router firewalls are indeed powerful, but you should still have a software firewall as well. It makes it harder for the guys trying to get into your system. :bigthumb:

The more computers sharing the connection, the less speed each computer will get. Especially if all the computers are turned on (alot of computers) and are on the internet. Because with dsl the computer is always online if the computer is connected to the network. If all of them are off however, then it makes no difference in speed if one or two computers connect.
Basically, more computers connected=less speed. If all of them are turned on and operational=less speed. A typical 6mbps dsl connection can support 3 computers with decent speed. (mbps do not mean megabytes per second by the way, It means megabits a second.) For example, any computer connected by wireless will have a slower connection then the computer(s) directly connected to the router. :)

drragostea
2008-07-31, 00:33
Yes, you're right about the wireless part. It is indeed slower because it is indirect. Good thing there's only one PC in the house :laugh:, however, my brother who lives some floors above me (private house) plans to share my DSL connection. I'm not sure if lowing some ten or hundred feet of Ethernet wire will do.

Yes, Megabits= roughly around 135KB/sec. MegaByte=1,000KB.

A modem (768kbps) for 2 connections... would that maintain a decent 70-80KB/sec connection?

2008-07-31, 07:25
your brother has a desktop, he can put a wireless card in his desktop and connect to your network. (If you have a router of course.) instead of several feet of Ethernet cable. :)

and yes, you should be fine with that connection. :)

blues
2008-07-31, 08:00
i did not see a noticable slowdown when there was four computers online connected to the router/modem.

chewdz
2008-07-31, 12:37
Could i change the version of spybot to 1.6 form 1.5.2? the scanning time is lasting for about 30+ mins. any unstablity while using spbot 1.6.0?

blues
2008-07-31, 12:41
from 1.5.2 to 1.6? yes you can do that, to me 1.6 was faster when scanning i think. i havent seen any unstability with 1.6 yet.

chewdz
2008-07-31, 12:51
do i just download and replace the existing copy or do i uninstall the current one and install a copy of 1.6.0? by the way i have two spybot in my add/remove programs list.

http://boxstr.com/files/2966257_b7adz/untitled.bmp

how did this happened?

blues
2008-07-31, 12:56
i dont know anything about the two entries in add/remove.

i use to disable the bad download blocker, delete the logs and if i were to use teatimer, then i will have disabled it and i use to unimmunize too and then i uninstall spybot afterwards, but others may do it in another way. and then i just install the new spybot.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-31, 13:22
chewdz:

... by the way i have two spybot in my add/remove programs list.

http://boxstr.com/files/2966257_b7adz/untitled.bmp

how did this happened?

The problem of having two (2) Spybot entries in add/remove should not occur in the future even if you do not uninstall one version before installing another version (although that has always been my recommendation). The problem that you described where there were two add/remove entries for Spybot originated because at the same time the automatic upgrade to Spybot 1.5.2.20 occurred the format of the add/remove entry was changed to be identified by a GLID (Globally Unique Identifier) to prevent the problem with two (2) entries in add/remove for Spybot from occurring in the future. See:
Updated and find two S&D's in Add-Remove
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24064

Two entries in uninstall are unavoidable when updating from 1.4, since 1.5 was designed to no longer have this problem when updating in the future, so the identification has changed.

Up to version 1.4, Spybot-S&D was identified through it's name, so the uninstall entry was internally named Spybot - Search & Destroy_is1 (found in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\).
Beginning with 1.5, we started using the imho better GUID scheme, so the new uninstall entry is named {B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1. The installer engine (InnoSetup) now cannot recognize previous installations, since it is looking for them through this name/GUID. But using the GUID has the advantage that we can display the version number in future versions, since changes would no longer cause this havoc (caused by identifying through name, which could not include version numbers therefore).
For the method I recommended to eliminate the second entry when it is encountered see:
Two Spybots in control panel
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=25232

chewdz
2008-07-31, 13:26
thx for the explaination spybot fan.... should i change to spybot 1.6.0 just for the shorter scanning time feature?

blues
2008-07-31, 13:31
i dont think spybot 1.5 had rightclick scan, you can just rightclick a file and scan it with spybot 1.6, that is one of the new features. i dont know about everything that is new in 1.6

chewdz
2008-07-31, 13:33
as in scan for malwares and etc? cool... just like some anti-virus softwares.... liked that feature a lot.....

blues
2008-07-31, 13:38
yes, to scan for malware.

chewdz
2008-07-31, 13:39
i see..... that's definately cool.... have been waiting for this feature to be available on spybot for a long time.... i finally have many good reasons to change to 1.6.0!!!:santa:

drragostea
2008-07-31, 20:57
Yep, more like a on-demand scanner.

chewdz, so scanning in v.1.6.0.30 took longer than 1.5.2.20?

Have you cleared the cache, temp. files, and cookies from your browsers. If you have a lot of files on the computers, that might be the cause for long scanning. Same goes for defragment. More files equals longer defragmenting.

Defragmenting serious speeds up the PC if you have a lot of red bars :cowboy:.

blues
2008-07-31, 21:00
didnt you see this wich chewdz said?:
should i change to spybot 1.6.0 just for the shorter scanning time feature?

and you said:
chewdz, so scanning in v.1.6.0.30 took longer than 1.5.2.20?

drragostea
2008-07-31, 21:04
Yes, I saw that. -_-. chewdz asked a question. He also said that gives him reason to upgrade to v.1.6.0.30.

chewdz
2008-08-02, 06:40
I'm downloading the new version now... my friend had to wait for only 11 mins or so for the scan to finish.... Now i am really tempted to change to 1.6.0!!!

drragostea
2008-08-02, 20:21
chewdz, why don't you give v.1.6.0.30 a shot? : ) You can tell us how it goes.

chewdz
2008-08-03, 12:18
do i need to uninstall the current version on my computer first or do i just replace the one with 1.6.0?

chewdz
2008-08-03, 13:19
Tried the Spybot 1.6.0. It worked great! Scanning only took 13mins 13seconds. Thats almost one-third of the time when i was using 1.5.2! The on-demand scan or the click scan(thats what i called it) is great but the window seemed a little too big and i cannot see the close button at the bottom. How do I adjust that?

2008-08-03, 18:45
do i need to uninstall the current version on my computer first or do i just replace the one with 1.6.0?

I would. You do not have to, but it avoids any problems you might encounter later. :)

but the window seemed a little too big and i cannot see the close button at the bottom. How do I adjust that?

More description please? like the window is huge? close button at the bottom? as in right clicking the task bar and clicking close?

drragostea
2008-08-04, 03:23
chewd, actually you can overwrite v.1.6.0.30 over v.1.5.2.20, however I would have suggested you taken the extra step and uninstall it prior to upgrading. As for the small fix, and disabling TeaTimer, SDHelper, and the Immunization, you know the drill.

What is your monitor resolution? Can you try maximizing or minimizing the window? If you cannot, you can right click on the Spybot task in the Taskbar (where the Start Button and clocks are).

chewdz
2008-08-05, 10:59
My monitor's resolution is 800*600(for the benefit of my dad's eyes), 32-bit colour. The window is so huge that i have to drag the window so that i can see the close button at the bottom. That happened when i scanned one file. For multiple files, it worked out fine. But the scan is slow, especially when it is scanning under heuristic. Why is it so?

blues
2008-08-05, 11:28
the rightclick scan is slow for me also, but i have tried it mostly on cds.

today i burned the sp3 iso file on cd to have it if i format my computer, i could see some new services and some other things after installing it, it works fine.

chewdz
2008-08-05, 13:44
SP3 iso file? Isn't it in the .exe format? By the way, i've decided to install the SP3 after my major exams. Any new information on SP3 please put in this post. Thanks.

blues
2008-08-05, 13:54
the iso is here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e

i may have downloaded the wrong one, but i think it is the right one.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en

drragostea
2008-08-05, 17:50
Well, chewdz couldn't you adjust the monitor [temporaily] to a optimal resolution such as 1280x1024 (for scanning), and then readjust it to 800x600?

The scanning might take longer if the file is large (eg. 10MB).

2008-08-06, 03:27
the rightclick scan is slow for me also, but i have tried it mostly on cds.

today i burned the sp3 iso file on cd to have it if i format my computer, i could see some new services and some other things after installing it, it works fine.

right click scanning was only designed to scan only a couple of files, not a whole cd. :)

blues
2008-08-06, 05:00
i have not found another way to scan cds with spybot, it doesnt scan all my drives in the other scan. why doesnt it do that?

drragostea
2008-08-06, 05:19
Spybot can scan a whole drive, except it's not 'designed' to work like other anti-malware programs... take SpywareDoctor for example. I have to say, it's database is large. So SD will work differently, like for a on demand scanner.

You can scan a whole drive, except it would be resource intensive, time intensive, and a strain.

blues
2008-08-06, 05:27
hmm, maybe i have not tried to scan cds/dvds with the on-demand scan but only with the rightclickscan in spybot 1.6.:oops:

1.5 didnt scan cds/dvds to me.

does 1.6 scan cds/dvds to you?

drragostea
2008-08-06, 05:29
Spybot-SD v.1.6.0.30 is the version when the integrated right-click scanning function came into action. During installation you can choose whether to enable the integration of the scanner into the Explorer menu.

blues
2008-08-06, 06:08
i will try later today to scan a cd with the on-demand scan in spybot.

drragostea
2008-08-06, 19:56
Fine by me. Just don't expect it to complete in 10 minutes.

blues
2008-08-06, 20:01
i dont.

drragostea
2008-08-06, 20:40
:laugh: Best Tavern thread ever! 156 posts and >3,000 views >:D

2008-08-06, 21:54
:laugh: Best Tavern thread ever! 156 posts and >3,000 views >:D

WOhoooooo!!

drragostea
2008-08-06, 22:06
Don't forget... 18 pages. Lol.

2008-08-06, 22:10

awesomeness! so......they are people that are posting like 9 different threads on the same issue, and its frustrating!! the same person posts all over the place! ugh!

anyways, now that i have let out my frustration haha, I love this random thread!

drragostea
2008-08-07, 07:34
Yeah, people posting the same thing over and over again...

My eyes hurt from playing the Sims 2.

blues
2008-08-07, 07:56
they are people that are posting like 9 different threads on the same issue, and its frustrating!! the same person posts all over the place! ugh!

just say who you mean instead of talking about people in this way:yuck:

this is the most childish post in this forums that i have ever seen.
go some other place and be BOOORED
frustrating? same person all over the place? well there are others that are all over the place too that only cares about their post counts going up and up, but it is not frustrating, it is STUPID.

Yeah, people posting the same thing over and over again...

so what you are not better than others if you think that.

blues
2008-08-07, 09:38
anyways, now that i have let out my frustration haha, I love this random thread!

set your dvd player on random and put on a meditation cd to get rid of your frustration. get on your knees afterwards on a carpet and pray.

Tom.K
2008-08-07, 19:27
At me is only 5 pages.

set your dvd player on random and put on a meditation cd to get rid of your frustration. get on your knees afterwards on a carpet and pray.
On random? Uh... How to do that? I don't have any random button on my dvd player.

drragostea
2008-08-07, 19:28
blues, if you think drragostea (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=34880) is trying to raise their post count by posting in this 'random' thread, I'm not.

blues
2008-08-07, 19:30
i was not talking about you, but it is like that on some forums.

i dont have a random button on my dvd player either, but i have had it on some cdplayers.

drragostea
2008-08-07, 19:33
Oh, :laugh: do you mean the 'Shuffle' button?

blues
2008-08-07, 19:35
i thought it was called the random button.:police:

drragostea
2008-08-07, 19:36
Oh, well if that's what you call it...

2008-08-07, 22:30
i was not talking about you, but it is like that on some forums.

i dont have a random button on my dvd player either, but i have had it on some cdplayers.
you misunderstood. I'm not posting to raise my counts, i could care less. I am talking about how when someone signs up on the forums and then asks for help in 3,000 different places haha. It just really makes it hard to help them. Anyway's forget it, it was nothing anyone needed to reply to. I guess next time i won't post anything like that. I should have worded it better.

Anyway's, i was wondering, how many sims games do you own drragostea? I own none lol.

CMan1
2008-08-08, 02:17
Posted wrong area

drragostea
2008-08-08, 02:52
They seem quite expensive 129260, though. It's $30.00 USD for one game, either that is a expansion pack or the game itself.

Sure, let me ship it to you :santa::
Somewhere in the USA
???
--drragostea.

blues
2008-08-08, 09:53
you can have all my games if you want:) i dont have so many but i dont use them anymore. it is ps1, ps2 and some computer games. i wont use anymore money on games, as the new ones are to advanced to me.

chewdz
2008-08-08, 15:33
Just dropped in to have a look..... very random topics.... from PCs to dvd players? lolz. I would like to ask a question. How did my friends download songs from the net for free? Isn't that illegal? Are there really any websites that are able to provide free downloads?

blues
2008-08-08, 15:55
wikipedia: The album was released free of cost on May 5, 2008 via digital download on the official Nine Inch Nails website.

it is called "The Slip", it seems it is free.

chewdz
2008-08-08, 15:58
looks like you did not get my question.... but never mind..... :D
I have also heard about torrents. How do they work and whether or not it is safe for me to use?

blues
2008-08-08, 16:07
most of the music you find on torrents is illegal. and you should never download programs from torrents or such because most of them are infected.

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=218503&postcount=4

right now i use a torrent program, but i may stop using it again if i decide. i have not decided what to use or not on my computer yet, it is confusing.

you will find guides on using torrents on other sites, i dont think it is allowed on this forums.

chewdz
2008-08-08, 16:09
ok... i got the mesage.... so i shall stop talking about it here... drop by again whe i'm free.:laugh:

blues
2008-08-08, 16:12
i am not a moderator;) so i cant stop you, but i wont give you a guide.

blues
2008-08-08, 19:32
i noticed something today, see here:

1 http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=219949&postcount=158

2 http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=219962&postcount=21

3 http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=220047&postcount=22

so it seems that sp3 have made trouble on my computer, notice the times in the posts. i will formatt my computer some day and will never install sp3 again.

i wasnt realising that this happened after installing sp3, i thought it was the programs i downloaded and used that caused it.
the computer is old but this is strange anyway. i dont have any restore points left either from before sp3 was installed.

i know about some people that doesnt use to download updates from microsoft or they deactivate automatic updates, i understand why they do it now.

it is bedtime for microsoft.:lip:

2008-08-08, 21:30
They seem quite expensive 129260, though. It's $30.00 USD for one game, either that is a expansion pack or the game itself.

Sure, let me ship it to you :santa::
Somewhere in the USA
???
--drragostea.

haha :)

i know about some people that doesnt use to download updates from microsoft or they deactivate automatic updates, i understand why they do it now.

it is bedtime for microsoft.:lip:

Well, i did not have any trouble, but i alway's reformat my computer and reload the new service pack and then all my programs just to avoid trouble. You can try that. :) If not, may i suggest lynux ubuntu? lol just kidding.

blues
2008-08-08, 21:44
Well, i did not have any trouble, but i alway's reformat my computer and reload the new service pack and then all my programs just to avoid trouble. You can try that. :) If not, may i suggest lynux ubuntu? lol just kidding.

i turned off the antivirus and some other programs first before installing sp3.

i didnt like linux, it was to difficult to use and i couldnt find an antivirus for it.

2008-08-08, 23:40
i turned off the antivirus and some other programs first before installing sp3.

i didnt like linux, it was to difficult to use and i couldnt find an antivirus for it.

Well avast has an antiviruis for linux, but really ubuntu does not get viruses. Sort of like a mac. They are some viruses for it, but not many. It is always good to turn off the protection before installing a service pack. :) I just prefer my backup files- format-install service pack-and then reload all data and programs method. But, your choice what you want to do. :) You can stay with service pack 2.

blues
2008-08-09, 07:14
it is still coming updates to sp2, and i couldnt see a change in speed either, there was someone who told me that sp3 was faster than sp2.

drragostea
2008-08-09, 07:21
Well Windows XP SP3 is a major improvement... it's a major difference between the years when SP2 was released. I would say it was faster, because one user (Greyfox or 129260) which reported that (TeaTimer or avast!) was using slightly less memory prior to when it was installed.

I won't offer any ideas for music, but mostly it's illegal to distribute music "rips".

blues
2008-08-09, 07:43
i cant say 100% that it was sp3 that caused all this trouble to me, or if it was the programs. online armor showed allowed outgoing port requests all the time, and i tried sunbelt firewall yesterday or so and that one detected an injection in my antivirus, it was the hips that detected it so i turned off the hips.

chewdz
2008-08-09, 13:15
I guess Microsoft should make some changes to SP3 so that it has no/little problems. By the way, Bill Gates left Microsoft already?

2008-08-09, 20:20
i cant say 100% that it was sp3 that caused all this trouble to me, or if it was the programs. online armor showed allowed outgoing port requests all the time, and i tried sunbelt firewall yesterday or so and that one detected an injection in my antivirus, it was the hips that detected it so i turned off the hips.

what is hips? i know its a program, but not sure what.....i tried searching but to no avail.

blues
2008-08-09, 20:46
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion-prevention_system look under Types

here is a forum at comodo about hips: http://forums.comodo.com/hips_host_intrusion_prevention_systems-b70.0/

2008-08-09, 20:49
ok haha. I have only seen it as ips not hips. Thanks! :)

drragostea
2008-08-10, 05:55
Yeah, I think Gates left Microsoft already. Not sure though.

HIPS stands for Hosts Intrusion Prevention System.

Never did understood what's the difference between:
HIPS
IPS
:scratch:

2008-08-10, 06:02
Yeah, I think Gates left Microsoft already. Not sure though.

HIPS stands for Hosts Intrusion Prevention System.

Never did understood what's the difference between:
HIPS
IPS

1.) thats true he did

2.) see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion-prevention_system) for hips under types, you have to scroll down. (host based intrusion prevention system)

3.) see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion-prevention_system) for ips (intrusion prevention system):

chewdz
2008-08-10, 09:52
How do i backup and restore the system files successfully to CDs? I tried it on Windows 2000 but all did not work. Does Windows XP make any difference?

2008-08-11, 22:03
make a difference, system files are not the same on different versions of windows. You cannot use a windows 2000 disk to repair a xp nor can you use a xp disk to repair windows 2000. Certain computer manufacturers offer a special restore disk that will let you restore the system to the way it was when you bought it. If you have a windows disk for your version of windows, you can use the windows disk to "repair" your operating system.

I think thats what you were asking.......

chewdz
2008-08-13, 12:10
No. As in that i did a backup of Windows 2000 on two CDs and tried a restore on it. But it did not work. So i was asking that if i do the same on XP, will the same thing happen again? If no, kindly tell me the steps to do this successfully. Thanks.

blues
2008-08-16, 18:01
mostly it's illegal to distribute music "rips".

what about movies?

drragostea
2008-08-17, 03:04
@chewdz, well the reason for my absence was that I got struck my lightning. ; P.

To answer your question... I have to say no, because Windows XP OS [system] files cannot substitute or replace the system files on other Operating Systems. Say like you attempt to "change" the SHELL32.dll file in XP with a Vista Shell file. What results is a unbootable Operating System.

What I can say is that hopefully you still have the recovery discs and there should be a 'Repair' option. In other computers such as the HP brand, they also integrate a System Recovery function in the computer itself.
--
@blues, yes Movie or so called "DVD" rips are illegal. However, it depends on where you live. In the US it is illegal.

blues
2008-08-17, 06:01
i already knew it was illegal, it was just boring in this forums. i dont know if it is illegal in all countries, but very many use to download music and movies anyway.

i was about to buy nero from a shop and the seller told me that there wasnt so many that buyed such programs from there, they downloaded pirated ones instead he said.

i use cdburnerxp and sometimes imgburn instead of nero, i dont like all the junk that nero has. i have nero essentials on a cd that came with my burner, but it is so restricted in what i can use it for compared to the full nero versions so i dont use it.

who buyes a burning program just to burn music? the paid for burning programs doesnt give better sound quality, not they i have used. if i were to buy a burning program, then i would have done it because of the movie features like converting from one format to another. i have yet to find a free program that converts so many formats, but i havent exactly looked through everything on www.download .com and such sites either.

drragostea
2008-08-17, 06:16
I would purchase the genuine one, rather than the "pirated" version. Who knows what carp** was 'bundled' in there. I've never tried Nero. To me it seems like a big file.

I mean why not just use a simple program like 'cdburnerxp' (never tried it either) instead of the additional add-ons, I mean unless you have a profession in the area. :santa: This is my opinion for the average non-CD "burning user".

"The World's a small place", wouldn't you agree blues?

Unless I saw a bunch of Mac/PC wallpapers in a huge gallery... that would be... O.O *smirk. :laugh:

blues
2008-08-17, 06:21
"The World's a small place", wouldn't you agree blues?

what do you mean?

drragostea
2008-08-17, 06:23
Well it means what it just said.

blues
2008-08-17, 06:27
why did you say it?

drragostea
2008-08-17, 06:48
Just my perspective.

:santa:5,000 + views.

blues
2008-08-17, 07:00
and some arguing;)

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=210173&postcount=46

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=210176&postcount=47

drragostea
2008-08-17, 17:19
And some "researching" ;).

2008-08-17, 18:59
and some arguing;)

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=210173&postcount=46

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=210176&postcount=47

haha. :) Nothing better then strong opinions. :) by the way, good eye drragostea :) http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32716

drragostea
2008-08-17, 19:21
Nothing better then strong opinions.

Thank you.

Now that's over... I just can't seem to figure why?

There are several [major?] problems at the moment:
-Slowdown with both Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer when SDHelper is active.
-Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 is unable to Immunize Opera 9.5.x Plugins.
-Some users reporting that there are problems with the Immunization, even though all the common solutions did not work.

:sad:

2008-08-17, 19:27
I have no problems :)...............but i see what you are saying.....its true, there are some real head scratchers lately. :sad: Hopefully the team members can figure this out, and PepiMK keeps the updates coming..... :)

drragostea
2008-08-17, 19:42
Updates do add on to the definitions, but the question is that does it fix the flaws?

It seems like a tight situation.

blues
2008-08-17, 19:45
Now that's over... I just can't seem to figure why?

i know why.

drragostea
2008-08-17, 19:48
Please say so.

blues
2008-08-17, 20:56
And some "researching" ;).

i couldnt care less anymore about anything.

2008-08-17, 23:45
Updates do add on to the definitions, but the question is that does it fix the flaws?

It seems like a tight situation.

as in updates to program, teatimer. etc. to fix issues :)

drragostea
2008-08-17, 23:48
I never thought about that.

Odd. The "Bully" (PS2) is so fun. :santa:

blues
2008-08-20, 17:49
"auslogics registry defrag" and "auslogics disc defrag" is a joke, i have found out that after checking their behaviour for some days. i tried the built in defrag in xp, and it said i must defrag and then i used "auslogics disc defrag" and after that i didnt need to defrag according to the xp defrag, that is good. but the strange thing is that both "registry defrag" and "disc defrag" does show up that they improved my computer speed by 1% often when i run them, why doesnt they say 0% sometimes? sometimes they say 13% and other things but never 0%. they say 1% even when i have just run them right before. and when uninstalling them their web page pop up and wants my e-mail adress or something like that.

i would stay away from joke programs like this, i am disappointed because i thought they were good programs. they didnt give speed improvements either.

drragostea
2008-08-20, 20:41
I would disagree blues. Even just simple computing like a browsing session or just typing for half an hour or so, might trigger a result of Auslogics.

If you would say use Registry Defragment (which I will stay away from) and then run it again after reboot, there will be no difference and Auslogics will tell you it is not necessary.

PCTools Firewall is a joke, if you ask me.

blues
2008-08-20, 21:03
i couldnt connect to the internet after installing pctools firewall so i agree with you.

did you see a speed improvement on your computer after running auslogics programs? because i didnt. maybe auslogics programs have some kind of fake timer that works random. open a browser window when installing/uninstalling something is unacceptable, maybe i shall stop using izarc, superantispyware and a-squared because of this. i also hate this toolbars.

i remove what i dont need with nlite, it is some of the best programs i know including revo. i couldnt get revo to uninstall java, it just opened the java installer and then i got a message that java was installed again but it found some registry entries even when not uninstalling java.

drragostea
2008-08-20, 21:11
Oh. I remember that problem. Then uninstall Java with the Add/Remove Programs window. :santa: Trust me it'll work this time.

I doubt Auslogics is making up "fake" "timers". And yes, Auslogics did work for me.

I have not seen a significant in speed terms, because my drive is not heavily "fragmented".

If you should run a defragment on any drive (with lots of 'red' bars) I'm sure you'll see a significant difference.

blues
2008-08-20, 22:40
maybe i should use them anyway.:banghead:

so you do not use "auslogics registry defrag?" it didnt any harm to me.

drragostea
2008-08-20, 22:54
so you do not use "auslogics registry defrag?" it didnt any harm to me.

I think I know my computer better : ).

In posts#228 and 230, weren't you doubting Auslogics? :scratch:

blues
2008-08-20, 23:07
i ment the registry defrag didnt damage something on my computer.

you made me change my mind for some reason about the programs.

i am so sick sometimes of the smiley that just smiles, i mean this one: :)

drragostea
2008-08-20, 23:09
Well, I can't say for sure. I'm avoiding it at the moment. But I have to say Auslogics does do a faster job than the default Windows.

Well, I can't force my opinions. You can choose whether to use it or not.

Btw, how did Java go?

blues
2008-08-20, 23:25
yes, auslogics was faster and sometimes superfast. i havent tried to uninstall java after the last time i tried it.

drragostea
2008-08-20, 23:40
Uninstall Java manually by going to Add/Remove Programs via Control Panel.

blues
2008-08-20, 23:44
i have the newest java right now so i dont have to uninstall, i just tried to uninstall some days ago. i will do what you say the next time i uninstall.

chewdz
2008-08-23, 09:31
Is Firefox(FX) 2.0.0.16 really that outdated? I have messages from Windows Live hotmail saying that if i do not change to the latest version of FX, some of the functions would not work. Should i change? FX is not showing any new updates when i selected check for updates under the help tab.

drragostea
2008-08-23, 18:21
I wouldn't consider Firefox 2.0.0.16 outdated, but I do consider it, not the "latest" version. chewdz, if you Windows XP you can upgrade to Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1.

I think that Hotmail will not display some images or text correctly, if that's what they meant.

Firefox 2.0.0.16 is the latest in FF 2.x.

2008-08-23, 20:46
if you have windows me,98, or lower, you can only use version the latest version of 2x.

However, if you have windows 2000 or above, you can use firefox latest version 3x.

drragostea
2008-08-29, 21:34
Ah. I wonder... why do some Operating Systems have windows like this:
http://www.pchell.com/images/errordeleting.jpg

I mean like the smaller box and the smaller font.

Does this occur on International Operating Systems?

2008-08-29, 23:26
Ah. I wonder... why do some Operating Systems have windows like this:
http://www.pchell.com/images/errordeleting.jpg

I mean like the smaller box and the smaller font.

Does this occur on International Operating Systems?

I don't know, maybe smaller font feels less threatening? lol idk. I do believe its like that for all versions though. Been awhile since anyone posted here, thanks for starting it up again bud. :)

drragostea
2008-08-30, 00:46
:laugh: But Windows XP OS does not offer a font smaller than 'Normal'.

Just need to tweak the previous post:
I didn't meant smaller box, but the smaller title bar.

Tavern is for general chat.

Another question, then we move to random food convos.

My Sony VAIO is factory built so it's like the way it is, it is not custom built by hand. My question is can I unscrew the screws and take out the "shell/casing"? I wanted to install more RAM, in addition to cleaning the inside.

2008-08-30, 20:26
:laugh: But Windows XP OS does not offer a font smaller than 'Normal'.

Just need to tweak the previous post:
I didn't meant smaller box, but the smaller title bar.

Tavern is for general chat.

Another question, then we move to random food convos.

My Sony VAIO is factory built so it's like the way it is, it is not custom built by hand. My question is can I unscrew the screws and take out the "shell/casing"? I wanted to install more RAM, in addition to cleaning the inside.

ya you can with no problems. :) Just make sure you are grounded from static. touch the metal case of the computer every now and then to disallow static from frying your ram, etc.

drragostea
2008-08-31, 02:16
Thanks for suggestion. I've been talking for a day now, about the specs of my system on another forum. Sad thing is that the technology in the machine is "dying", outdated technology. But it still runs, that's what counts...

2008-08-31, 17:39
Thanks for suggestion. I've been talking for a day now, about the specs of my system on another forum. Sad thing is that the technology in the machine is "dying", outdated technology. But it still runs, that's what counts...

to be truthful, most of the time when it comes to computers, (as well as ipods) it is out of date even if it was bought brand new. There are always new developments, and newer models that are released every year. It can become quite challenging to keep up with all this new tech. Most technology is out of date that the public has, the main point is that if the tech does what you want and need, then thats all that matters. :) Just like you said, as long as it runs, thats what counts.

drragostea
2008-08-31, 17:57
That's 129260.

Hey, blog entries! Yoo!

2008-09-01, 20:58
That's 129260.

Hey, blog entries! Yoo!

haha yup

chewdz
2008-09-11, 07:28
Had SP3 installed on Automatic Updates. All I can say is.... great, although the computer slowed down for a few days. Everything is back to normal now. Thanks to drragostea and 129260 for clearing my doubts. :santa: