PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus software, fast, compatible, free?

freedeanna
2008-06-25, 03:08
I was wondering what antivirus software other users of Spybot S&D have found good. In particular I'm looking for something that doesn't use much CPU as this computer is getting a bit slow. I'm not even sure whether it would be safe to run without one if S&D is installed, or what security gaps S&D leaves. I just have Windows firewall running, on XP sp2. If possible I'd like to get free AV, although I'd pay a reasonable amount for something that is really fast (I mean the resident checking - I can wait for longer scans).

The background to this is that I had AVG for years now, but they've gone commercial-only with the latest version and I was so annoyed that they popped messages up in front of me to tell me to buy it that I went over to PCTools free antivirus (PCTAV). I was absolutely amazed how much faster everything ran and was delighted until I found that there were some problems. I've had a few different errors reported. During a spybot scan both it and PCTAV reported errors. PCTAV can go for 5 days and not update its sig files. It can appear to update them but not report it in the program, or vice versa, and generally gave me a very insecure feeling about it's design. AVG was obviously slowing everything down a lot, but it never seemed to cause a single error, and I never had a virus in that time, but they're not getting my custom for their spamming me!

I have now swapped to Avast, but unfortunately I've lost the speed advantage. I haven't tried yet, but maybe switching off some of the resident provider modules would help - but I don't know exactly what they all do or whether they only kick in if their needed and therefore don't slow things down on things that I'm not using (if you see what I mean). Besides, I don't much like the dumbed down sensitivity levels that don't actually describe what their differences are, just say "Normal - High - Custom", nor the spaceship CD player interface!

I'm wondering whether pctools threatfire is of any use as a replacement for an antivirus program, running with S&D. I read something about how we've all got so much security software running these days, the cure is becoming worse than the disease, and when I think about how much time I've spent on all this compared with the odd removal of a virus, I do wonder.

Your thoughts and experiences very much appreciated

drragostea
2008-06-25, 03:39
:welcome:freedeanna. Be prepared... for the cyber-world... and my meticulous long explaination ;P.
--
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=29892
--
The following thread gives some brief information about AV's, but it's not a whole lot.

Honestly, Spybot doesn't really have any security gaps because it's not really "integrated" like a vulnerability in a firewall or AV software, if you get my drift. A much faster and improved version of Spybot will be released on July 4, just as a note.

Personally, I see many users pay for software. Why? Because of the addition features and maybe something enhanced compared to the freebie. Basically in AVG 8.0, there's not really a major difference between the paid and free since the paid includes root-kit detection, SafeSurf, and tech support. I've tried LinkScanner Lite, and believe me it was slow... on a DSL connection (768kbps).

I'm a ex-AVG user, because I found it to be RAM hogging and finding false positives (not sure if it still does). I was kind of excited on upgrading to AVG 8.0 from 7.5. I was like, "Wow, check out the new features! Integrated spyware protection! >:D". After some weeks of usage, it was becoming a bother. Process "avgrsx.exe" was taking up 50MB of RAM even when idle. This bothered me because the cooling fan was constantly on.
Another thing was during the first few days of usage, AVG 8.0 began detecting false positives on a full scan. Moved them to the quarantine and Spybot and SpywareBlaster had entries undid (maybe around 120).
--
Migration from AVG to avast! (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27793)
--
False positives found in AVG 8.0 (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27264)
--

As for PCTools, I don't use (PCTAV) because of it's poor detection rates. To me their firewall was a joke. Don't mean to offend PCT users :P.

Actually avast! does offer robust protection, including a variety of Resident Shields (P2P, AIM, Web, etc.) and spyware protection. It also detects rootkits in addition.

If you find the "spaceship" GUI hard to navigate, you can change the GUI.
--
avast! skins (http://www.avast.com/eng/skins.html)
--

All avast! users started on the same ladder. Finding and navigating was POC once you learn how to use it.
>>>
What I don't like about Threatfire is it's bundled "toolbars" that come with the installation. Such profits :yuck:. I heard that ThreadFire sends user's "PC info" (or was that ioLo) on the web. Hm. I think it was iolo.
---

Spybot should have to conflicts with any other AV programs.
Some good (free) AV programs I recommend would be avast!, Antivir, AVG (if you prefer). Paid ones include Kaspersky AV and NOD32.

Use a firewall, AV, practice safe hex, defragment your drive.

Safe surfing. :bigthumb:

--Phew

--Eric.

Terminator
2008-06-25, 15:49
Avast! 4.8 is (in my opinion) the best of the free Anti Virus programs. In the last 6 months alone Avast! has stopped 3 viruses, 1 Exploit and 1 Rootkit from ruining my day, so long as you set it to update automatically you won't even notice it's there:eek:. Firewall wise DON'T bother with Windows Firewall or Live ONEcare's Firewall as they are worse than usless and the same can said about Symantec's and McAfee's firewalls/suites. The 2 Best free Firewalls on the Market are ZoneAlarm and COMODO.

My Setup Is As follows:

Windows Vista SP1 fully updated

AnalogX Script Defender 1.02

EULAlyzer 1.2

ZoneAlarm Free Vista Edition 7.1.248.000

Avast! Antivirus 4.8.1201

SpywareBlaster 4.1

Windows Defender (Pre-Installed with Vista)

Foxit Reader 2.3.2923 Free Edition (Much faster and Secure than Adobe's Bloatware Reader)

Google Toolbar 4.0.1602.1060

Spybot 1.6 Beta 2 with Bad Downloads Blocker Inabled (I don't bother with the Tea Timer as it is currently to memory intensive)

Safe Surfing :)

drragostea
2008-06-26, 02:30
Avast! 4.8 is (in my opinion) the best of the free Anti Virus programs. In the last 6 months alone Avast! has stopped 3 viruses, 1 Exploit and 1 Rootkit from ruining my day, so long as you set it to update automatically you won't even notice it's there:eek:. Firewall wise DON'T bother with Windows Firewall or Live ONEcare's Firewall as they are worse than usless and the same can said about Symantec's and McAfee's firewalls/suites. The 2 Best free Firewalls on the Market are ZoneAlarm and COMODO.

ZoneAlarm Free Vista Edition 7.1.248.000

Avast! Antivirus 4.8.1201
Spybot 1.6 Beta 2 with Bad Downloads Blocker Inabled (I don't bother with the Tea Timer as it is currently to memory intensive)

Some explanation you got there Terminator O.o.

PS, just a note. ZoneAlarm is not update to date on your PC if I'm correct.
--
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html
--

The Windows Vista OS should have around 1GB to 2GB of RAM on average. TeaTimer shouldn't take up much memory (or be a minor annoyance). However, it is to me because my cooling fan is constantly on.

Yep, Windows Firewall, OneCare, iOlo, and PC Tools firewalls are a joke. Althought McAfee and Norton are moderate... just a bit below the average.

I would suggest Comodo, because it was the toughest and most robust out of all the firewalls. Defense+ (HIP) can be irritating but it you'll get used to it.

freedeanna
2008-06-26, 03:13
[FONT="Tahoma"]<snip>
Honestly, Spybot doesn't really have any security gaps because it's not really "integrated" like a vulnerability in a firewall or AV software, if you get my drift. A much faster and improved version of Spybot will be released on July 4, just as a note.
I can't say I do get your drift, but I wasn't very clear. What I meant is that I've never got my head round exactly what kinds of risks to security spybot covers and what it doesn't deal with. I understand that it looks for various kinds of threat, during a scan and also some in realtime on websites. I really just meant to ask whether it actually catches viruses, trojans, etc., at all, or if I do need a separate AV. I'm fairly sure the answer is yes. I also get the message that I should use something better than windows firewall, but in other places I've heard that this is overkill. I don't know if I've ever had a problem - or even if I would know if I had had one!

AVG 8.0, there's not really a major difference between the paid and free since the paid includes root-kit detection, SafeSurf, and tech support.
I didn't think there was a free version now. I had the free 7.5 version, and got popups advertising ver 8.0, which it said was to be paid for, every day for about a month, then notice that my version would expire in x days. I even emailed to complain about the spamming, as I had to close these damn nag screens, and I wouldn't have minded if they'd have said "We are sorry, but the free version of...." ... anyway, they emailed back with nonsense about not being able to not spam me, like I'm somebody special, and the usual PR crap. Actually, sorry, why am I asking this - it was as slow as heck, and I've heard that 8.0 took a performance dive, so that's out. I've downloaded Antvir and will see if that's a bit lighter - someone on their forum seems delighted with its performance (only the downloads seem slow). A faster S&D will be nice, but it's a chore that takes however long it takes, like full virus scans, and I go and do something else.

I don't use TeaTimer - again, I'm afraid I'm not clear on what these things actually do, but it just seemed to put too many dialogs up that represented no risk, and I never looked into whether the options could be tweaked to suit me better. Probably need to do some more research, but here we go again - actual viral infections have caused me about 1% of the work that antivirus and anti-spyware software and its research have cost me! I can't be that dim on the subject. I used to have NOD32, which gave me a crash course to about doctorate level in IT security just fiddling with the settings! Hence "Normal - High - Amazing" or whatever in Avast! now just looks rather stupid.

I'm a ex-AVG user, because I found it to be RAM hogging and finding false positives (not sure if it still does).<snip>
Certainly still ram hogs (woolly pigs?):laugh:

Thanks for your other points too, Eric, and Terminator. I'll see how I get on with Antvir, and maybe look into other firewalls. I think I've been put off firewalls after reading endless problems on a forum once, all of which seemed to resolve to "Have you got a firewall on? Switch it off, it's interfering with..." or "If you've got a firewall, you'll have to change these settings...(several hours worth)!

Jeez I'm a whiny old git tonight.:rolleyes:
Thanks again.

drragostea
2008-06-26, 03:34
You're not. I know it's complicated.

To make a long story short... all you would need is a AV, AS (anti-spyware), a reputable firewall, and safe surfing. That would be your optimal line of defense.

Spybot-Search&Destroy is a anti-spyware. It does not detect viruses. But yes, it does detect trojans, malware, spybot, bots, PUP, and some rookits.

It won't be over kill once you get answers to your questions. I have the admit the default Windows Firewall is a lack and jam. It doesn't offer outbound protection, thus in some incidents some malware can "call home". This is all I would say to make it simple and not so geeky and tech :laugh:.

I'm not sure if AVG still detects the false positives. Today there was a major update for AVG 8.0. And about 7.5... I heard supported will end on May 31. When AVG 8 first came out, 7.5 began having ads, or nags, on the bottom left hand corner.

As for firewalls... if you advanced and tech and geeky like some people :laugh: on this forum I would suggest Comodo Firewall because it aced the Firewall leak tests. I would suggest a decent firewall like ZoneAlarm or Kerio Personal Firewall (Sunbelt) for you, because there won't be as much prompts as Comodo gives which sounds more like TeaTimer.

Hey, if you know how to tame and learn about TeaTimer, you may might as well test out Comodo Pro (Defense+ as HIP protection).

Terminator
2008-06-26, 13:40
@drragostea

There are 2 DIFFERENT versions of Zone Alarm, 1 designed for 2000/XP (http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html#7.0.473.000)and the 1 just for Vista (http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory_vista.html) I have the VISTA only edition.

drragostea
2008-06-26, 18:39
Whoops. Correction:
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory_vista.html

Apologies.

KillahSam
2008-06-27, 01:04
If you want to pay kaspersky is sweet.

freedeanna
2008-06-28, 22:56
Thanks guys, I've replaced avast with Avira AntiVir now and the system seems to run much faster again. I have quite a few apps going and the pc is low on memory, and probably other AVs would be fine for people with faster machines. I'm using the free version, but at the moment that means it doesn't scan emails - a big source of viruses normally. However, I use MailWasher Pro, which lets me view safe versions on the server before downloading to my mail client, so I'm not in too much risk there.

Thanks for extra info, Eric. I'm sure I'll get my head round it one day. Kind of feel like I should get a firewall, but I've not had one other than windows' one for years and have to admit I feel underwhelmed. :clown:

It was amazing getting rid of AVG on this machine. I was actually so sick of the speed I was going to get a new pc very soon (I took it to PC World to ask what kind of extra ram to install, and he took the board out and said it was unmarked and there was no way to know, and you have to know to install the right kind - ? - so I thought to heck with it). A faster AV changed all that, although it's rather noisy anyway and the fan is kind of hard-wired and awkward and I want a new computer anyway so there.:santa: I'll put AntiVir on that too.

AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 1.54 GHz 256 MB. But I digress.

I'm happy so far with AntiVir - fairly neat interface, meaningful options (if slightly limited) and automatic downloads that seem to be working fine. Of course, the most important bit of AV software isn't something I can review - but I have it on reasonable authority (hearsay!) that it works pretty well, and that pctools is a bit less dependable. You get a feeling about software though, and I trust AntiVir and Avast (and AVG if you really put a gun to my head), but pctools was wobbly on installing and running, so I didn't trust it to protect me from viruses much.

Cheers
John

drragostea
2008-06-29, 03:29
Wow, John. :laugh: I can give you some tips on "boosting" the speed of your PC even if you have 256MB of RAM.

Problem is that too many programs running, I've seen 60 processes on a 512Mb processor, it can put a strain on the OS thus you'll experience slowdowns.

Do you know how to use "msconfig" (startup manager)?
This way you can disable programs (unneeded) from starting up. On my simple OS, I keep a strict 6 entries. So it boots up in a flash.

PCWorld? :sad: Not the store I mean. But the representative who told you about the RAM. Hm. On my cousin's custom built PC I saw how the RAM chips were placed. Basically he took out the covering (one side, not the whole shell) and I saw the components. The RAM chips are to be placed into the SLOTS. John, so it would be more like LEGO. Just stick it in. However, you have to push really hard. Like use force, because it takes some effort to get the chips in. A PC with no RAM cannot boot.

I'm not sure about your computer, but all I know is about the custom built ones.

Best of luck.

tazdotnet
2008-06-29, 22:05
if you go to AMD's tech support they should be able to tell you what kind of ram your CPU supports... the big difference is what CPUs support that type of ram chip... if the machine is not a custom machine (dell, HP, Compaq, IBM, ect...) the manufacturer can tell you the same information... the person who claimed that no markings means they can't tell what type of ram to use is just not wanting to work... i have never seen a tech that looked for markings when trying to figure out ram type, i would have been rolling if i saw that...