PDA

View Full Version : Can I track down someone with their mac address?

KillahSam
2008-06-25, 03:33
I have already went into my router settings and blocked this guys mac address from connecting to my network.

Here is the thing, there are several low income houses by me, all of which are where a single house used to be next door to my house. I know it is one of these houses that is trying to hop on my network. Last summer I had several intruders from around there but I managed to get them off with my network software. To sum things up, I plan to go knocking on the door(s) of whoever gets on my shit to let them know I don't play that.

I have the guys mac address, and he's running vista. Is there anyway I can track him down to a specific house?

drragostea
2008-06-25, 03:43
Mac address? You mean IP Address?

I'm assuming you're using Wi-Fi, because unaware users can have other "leechers" leeching off the bandwidth of not properly secured.

Use WEP or WPA2 (it's something like changing the pass and login from default so it would be difficult for 'strangers' to use your Internet Access).

PS- Watch your language.

KillahSam
2008-06-25, 03:49
Mac address? You mean IP Address?

I'm assuming you're using Wi-Fi, because unaware users can have other "leechers" leeching off the bandwidth of not properly secured.

Use WEP or WPA2 (it's something like changing the pass and login from default so it would be difficult for 'strangers' to use your Internet Access).

PS- Watch your language.

No I know the difference between an IP address and a MAC address...

Don't assume, I'm not using wi-fi. I have a cable connection, my computer is wired to the router, my ps3 is wired to the router, and the computer in my living room uses the wireless ability from the router.

I understand why my network is insecure, the software I use (Network magic) the trial is up, and so is the network protection. I can manually block intruders using MAC filtering... I'm not asking that.

I'm asking if I can figure out which house is actually attempting to steal my bandwidth. All I can gather is the MAC address, and some minor details about the user's computer.

drragostea
2008-06-25, 04:45
Oh, I see. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the MAC address. Please hold on until a team member or security expert answers this.

bitman
2008-06-25, 07:11
drragostea,

You already answered the question, they just don't get it. Obviously they just want to beat somebody up, which I'm sure you don't wish to help with anymore than I do.

The problem is their own insecure wireless network, so anyone can use it any time they like. Not securing it is simply saying 'go ahead', so they get what they deserve.

I wouldn't waste my time on such a fool.

Bitman

KillahSam
2008-06-25, 07:45
drragostea,

You already answered the question, they just don't get it. Obviously they just want to beat somebody up, which I'm sure you don't wish to help with anymore than I do.

The problem is their own insecure wireless network, so anyone can use it any time they like. Not securing it is simply saying 'go ahead', so they get what they deserve.

Bitman

So my trial ending is getting what I deserve? Okay buy the software for me so I can re-enable the mac filtering so I don't have to do it manually when I get an intruder on my network. I'm such a fool right?

I don't get why you're so hostile, I didn't plan to go beat the guy up, I just wanted to let him, and everyone else down there not to go on my network.

That is fine that you don't want to help me, I can respect that I'm not forcing anyone to help me.

bay_life25
2008-06-25, 12:18
look at your rude self...c'mon now. why dont you secure your network? no you can't track someone down to a specific house with a mac address. its not like a gps

md usa spybot fan
2008-06-25, 16:19
drragostea:

Oh, I see. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the MAC address. Please hold on until a team member or security expert answers this.
I didn't know what a MAC address was when this thread started, but a simple Google search for "mac address" yields:
MAC address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address
How to find your MAC address
http://www-dcn.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/index.html
KillahSam:

… Okay buy the software for me so I can re-enable the mac filtering so I don't have to do it manually when I get an intruder on my network. ...
According to this article you can secure your network for $.50 (the article was written in 2004 so it might be a little more expensive now).
How to block Wi-Fi signals
http://www.extensiontech.net/articles/howto/gs/wifiblock/
Equipment for knocking on doors:
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28

KillahSam
2008-06-25, 22:29
look at your rude self...c'mon now. why dont you secure your network? no you can't track someone down to a specific house with a mac address. its not like a gps

You could have answered your own question by reading my posts.

This is the deal, our cable bill was really high a few months back, I was unaware my software was letting everyone and their mama on my network. I blocked everyone there, and secured it.

Since then I've changed computers reinstalled my software secured the network up until the point the trial ended. Now the thing is I think it's the same people who where on my network then. This is my reason for wanting to at least track them down, because I had an idea of which house it was based on who was home, and what lights where on. These jerks been at it a while is what I'm saying and I'd like to give them a piece of my mind.

drragostea:

I didn't know what a MAC address was when this thread started, but a simple Google search for "mac address" yields:
MAC address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address
How to find your MAC address
http://www-dcn.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/index.html
KillahSam:

According to this article you can secure your network for $.50 (the article was written in 2004 so it might be a little more expensive now).
How to block Wi-Fi signals
http://www.extensiontech.net/articles/howto/gs/wifiblock/

That would be a really sweet way to block them. All of the houses in question face one side of my house only. My 2 neighbors across the street I'm pretty sure are not the ones doing it.

I'm not completely sure how far the signal can travel, perhaps I may have more houses to question.

But I can also go into my router settings and enable mac filtering from there.

I'm not having issues getting my network secured but thanks for the ideas.

And that knocking on door equipment is just what the doctor ordered.

Zenobia
2008-06-25, 22:57

Well...y'all have an interesting way of paying a visit.
I'm never having you over for tea and cookies. :spider:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

honda12
2008-06-25, 23:09
Well...y'all have an interesting way of paying a visit.
I'm never having you over for tea and cookies. :spider:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree, i'm keeping all my choc digestives for myself (Zenobia, you can have some - and also anyone else who is...err...sane! :spider:)

From Google:

Definitions of 'sane' on the Web:

- Someone who does not knock on peoples' doors and confronts them with a pump-action shotgun

drragostea
2008-06-26, 02:05
drragostea,

Bitman

I see. Obviously the user is not taking responsibility in securing the network, thus this might explain the drain of bandwidth and high Internet usage. Not all people are good these days. I recall that the WEP or WPA2 works. Just a simple reconfiguration of the Pass and Login.
--
Wi-Fi Protected Access (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access).
Wired Equivalent Privacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy).
--

Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) is an optional IEEE 802.11 feature used to provide data confidentiality. In short, WEP is used to encrypt and decrypt data signals transmitted between Wireless LAN (WLAN) devices. WEP works by encrypting the wireless radio frequency between the access point and client device and is the minimum amount of security you should have enabled on your WLAN. Without implementing WEP, hackers can obtain information about your wireless network through a sniffer trace and can then join it without your knowledge. Since your wireless Service Set-Identifier (SSID) is sent over the air in cleartext, you need to use WEP to encrypt your data to protect it from hackers. WEP itself is not the strongest type of security you can implement on your wireless network, but it is one of the easiest ways to strengthen your wireless security network.

SOURCE FROM TechRepublic.
--
Last link:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2213489_use-wep-key-wireless-router.html
~
As for the cookies, Zenobia, md, honda, and bitman would be welcomed ;0.

Edit: My opinion is that the alternative would be $0.50 project or just waste your wallet on some software. Why keep the trial when the software itself it expired?

Zenobia
2008-06-26, 03:14
Lol,it's settled then,tea and cookies at honda12's house.All pump-action shotguns are to be checked at the door. :D:

drragostea
2008-06-26, 03:36
Lol,it's settled then,tea and cookies at honda12's house.All pump-action shotguns are to be checked at the door. :D:

Hm. Pump action O.O? Instead, I might as well use a automatic machine gun. Cool!

If prohibited... then a beefed up watergun.

I guess plane tickets will be expensive Zenobia. :laugh::fear::euro::santa::police:

Zenobia
2008-06-26, 03:50
Naw,just use some points from some sort of air miles program.(honda12 is probably boarding up the windows and bolting the doors as we speak.) :laugh:

drragostea
2008-06-26, 04:09
Naw,just use some points from some sort of air miles program.(honda12 is probably boarding up the windows and bolting the doors as we speak.) :laugh:

Wow, air mileage? :P. Don't worry Zenobia, I got my shotguns loaded. I just need a travel plan. Hm. 51st century technology. I should use a jetpack :p.

shelf life
2008-06-26, 04:51
mac address,....... Is there anyway I can track him down to a specific house?no.

my computer is wired to the router
your router may support MAC filtering

you can monitor your bandwidth for "unfriendly MAC addresses" by manually putting in the MAC address of any of your devices that connects to the internet via a router. its called AirSnare and is donationware

http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/index.html

2008-06-27, 05:23
lol thats the dumbest thing i ever heard. Simply go to the routers setup page by way of INTERNET explorer or another browser, and set up encryption for your network. if you right click the local area connection icon near the clock on your computer that is directly connected to your router and click status, then click support, and type the address that you see under default gateway in your browser. Go to the setup page, create a password so that no one can go in your router and change your security. Use WPA or another form of security encryption. . Look at your routers set up instruction booklit so that you can find out how to enable your security. You do not have to have "software" to encrypt your network. That "software" is the firmware in your router that can provide security for you. Just set it up!! You should not have to pay for software to do that for you. A firewall on your computer would be a good thing as well.

by the way, if you are using a router, you have WIFI. Thats how other people are stealing your network. Through the air.

honda12
2008-06-27, 20:12

I sure am...:fear:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

KillahSam
2008-06-27, 21:08
lol thats the dumbest thing i ever heard. Simply go to the routers setup page by way of INTERNET explorer or another browser, and set up encryption for your network. if you right click the local area connection icon near the clock on your computer that is directly connected to your router and click status, then click support, and type the address that you see under default gateway in your browser. Go to the setup page, create a password so that no one can go in your router and change your security. Use WPA or another form of security encryption. . Look at your routers set up instruction booklit so that you can find out how to enable your security. You do not have to have "software" to encrypt your network. That "software" is the firmware in your router that can provide security for you. Just set it up!! You should not have to pay for software to do that for you. A firewall on your computer would be a good thing as well.

by the way, if you are using a router, you have WIFI. Thats how other people are stealing your network. Through the air.

I've already went into the firmware and blocked the guy's mac address right after it happened. Again I'm not having trouble making my connection secure, I just wanted to find out where the person lived who was going on my network because my bill was high a few months ago. Figured if I could get enough evidence against them I could charge them for stealing my bandwidth.

Basically if I had all the info about their computer they couldn't really deny doing so. But since then I've found it pretty impossible to track them down with just the MAC address.

2008-06-27, 21:16
and you have security on it, he could not connect in the first place!! Unless he found out your network key and password. In that case change them! Another thing you should try is to not display your ssid.

drragostea
2008-06-28, 05:17
I've already went into the firmware and blocked the guy's mac address right after it happened. Again I'm not having trouble making my connection secure, I just wanted to find out where the person lived who was going on my network because my bill was high a few months ago. Figured if I could get enough evidence against them I could charge them for stealing my bandwidth.

Basically if I had all the info about their computer they couldn't really deny doing so. But since then I've found it pretty impossible to track them down with just the MAC address.

and you have security on it, he could not connect in the first place!! Unless he found out your network key and password. In that case change them! Another thing you should try is to not display your ssid.

I couldn't agree better with 129260. Sam, it was mentioned in this thread. With just the MAC address it would impossible to trace it. It's not like IP address. This situation is like... finding a needle in a haystack.

How did you know the "culprit" was using a Windows Vista OS?

I sure am...:fear:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Eh, honda wouldn't be worth the work. Since you'll have to unboard the door to get out. I'm sure Zenobia is packing... xD

2008-06-28, 06:04
i tried to explain to him how to protect his network..........but apparently he is not getting it........sigh* i don't know how to help him........anyone know of a guide on the net that will explain all of this to him?

drragostea
2008-06-28, 06:32
Only my post about securing his network with WEP and WPA2. >:D

KillahSam
2008-06-28, 08:31
[FONT="Tahoma"]
How did you know the "culprit" was using a Windows Vista OS?

It was part of the information network magic gave me.

i tried to explain to him how to protect his network..........but apparently he is not getting it........sigh* i don't know how to help him........anyone know of a guide on the net that will explain all of this to him?

Um I enabled the security through the firmware right after I found out I had someone on my network. I also blocked his MAC address from accessing my network.

I'm secure on my end. I wasn't asking for help in that area. I'm not sure why everyone keeps thinking that?

2008-06-28, 20:52
just before you didn't when the guy was using your network? ah ok. Well now that you have security, you will no longer need to worry about anyone connecting to your network. :) Also, not broadcasting your ssid will make your network invisible to everyone. :) I hope that answers everything? Sorry i didn't understand that. :(

KillahSam
2008-06-28, 23:11
just before you didn't when the guy was using your network? ah ok. Well now that you have security, you will no longer need to worry about anyone connecting to your network. :) Also, not broadcasting your ssid will make your network invisible to everyone. :) I hope that answers everything? Sorry i didn't understand that. :(

I can see how it was confusing. It's quite alright.

2008-06-29, 05:50
Glad to know everything is good now. :) Sorry about the confusion, And welcome to the forums!! :welcome:

drragostea
2008-06-29, 06:00
Amen to that! :laugh: Just joking. But welcome to the forums... after three pages of posting.

I'm unfamiliar with this MAC Address, but Sam is this like a IP address or something? I don't really understand the WikiPedia article.

KillahSam
2008-06-29, 08:16
Amen to that! :laugh: Just joking. But welcome to the forums... after three pages of posting.

I'm unfamiliar with this MAC Address, but Sam is this like a IP address or something? I don't really understand the WikiPedia article.

Everyone on one network will share the same IP but each of them will have their own specific MAC address which would ID a specific network adapter.

I mean what good would having their ip do for me? If they are on my network I would need to track them down another way.

But yeah idk if that makes them similar or not, but yeah there you have it.

& thanks for the welcome guys.

drragostea
2008-06-29, 19:36
Same IP? Don't you mean similar IP addresses?

Yea, now I'm getting something about the MAC Address.

Question I would have concluded is how?

KillahSam
2008-06-29, 20:13
If I have 2 computers connected to the same network then they are both going to have the same IP address unless they each have their own modem which would be a separate connection/network.

About 7-8 years ago I remember being in the computer lab at school, all the mac's connected to the same network. We where trying to play starcraft on bnet together and we could never get into the same room because we all shared the same IP.

drragostea
2008-06-29, 20:23
Ah, okay. You answered the question about the same IP address. Because they share the same connection? Is that correct?

I see why. We all use different modems. So it means different IP address. Sam, how about routers?

KillahSam
2008-06-29, 20:30
Ah, okay. You answered the question about the same IP address. Because they share the same connection? Is that correct?

I see why. We all use different modems. So it means different IP address. Sam, how about routers?

:shrug:

I logged onto my ps3 and went did a quick search for "whats my ip?" I also did this on my computer.

Both resulted with the same IP address.

My ps3 is wired to my router. I can test this further by going into the living room later and checking out my dad's IP on his computer to see if it being wireless from the router changes anything.

But as far as I can tell the router is just spreading out the connection to several computers, it doesn't relate directly to the IP address at all.

drragostea
2008-06-29, 20:45
I see. Thanks for the explanation.

I want a PS3!!! >:D

I don't plan one purchasing one, unless it includes PS1 and PS2, and DVD playback. The only ones that are selling at the local retail store is the 40GB.

KillahSam
2008-06-29, 21:04
I bought the 80gig, the extra 100$ is worth it imo.

The 40gig can play dvds/blue ray. You need the 80 gig for the ps2 playback.

drragostea
2008-06-29, 21:11
:P, but I wanted SACD and PS2 and PS1 support. I'm not getting one in another year.

I heard this "@Home" is in development.
-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Retail_configurations
-

bitman
2008-06-29, 22:31
Your PCs do not have the same IP Address internally, only as they are seen from the Internet. This is because you have private addresses provided internally by your router, which operates using NAT (Network Address Translation) or more accurately PAT (Port Address Translation) which shares a single IP Address on the Internet side of your router.

Internally your router, wireless or not, is providing a different IP Address to each PC or other network connected device like a PS3, network printer, etc. This is so it can identify that device when it sends something out to the Internet and then allow the response to come back to the internal network. It finds the actual physical device using its MAC (Media Access Control) address.

What happens is that your PC asks your router for an IP Address when it first connects, which the router supplies from a 'pool' or table of addresses that it keeps internally. It then remembers what IP Address it gave to which MAC address in that table, so it can look it up again in the future.

A MAC Address (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address) is a hardware address embedded in the NIC (Network Interface Card) built into your PC or other device. This is assigned to the NIC by the manufacturer based partially on standards set by the IEEE. You might be able to figure out who manufactured the NIC containing a specific MAC address, since that's built into the first part of the MAC itself.

Since the MAC Address is physically located on the NIC card in the computer in question and that computer can be located anywhere that the WiFi signal can reach, it's obvious that this can't help find the actual PC. This is why everyone's telling you to secure your network, since prevention is the only way to protect yourself. You have no technical or legal right to claim anyone did anything wrong since you left your door unlocked (no security) and advertised that fact (broadcast SSID).

The moral question still exists, but is basically pointless since there's no way to police this after the fact. This, and the fact that you never stated that you'd turned on any specific protection is why you got the respone you did. Whenever you post in any open forum, you need to explain yourself fully or be prepared to get an invalid response. Think first, or many questions will get asked later.

Bitman

KillahSam
2008-06-30, 00:25
Your PCs do not have the same IP Address internally, only as they are seen from the Internet. This is because you have private addresses provided internally by your router, which operates using NAT (Network Address Translation) or more accurately PAT (Port Address Translation) which shares a single IP Address on the Internet side of your router.

Internally your router, wireless or not, is providing a different IP Address to each PC or other network connected device like a PS3, network printer, etc. This is so it can identify that device when it sends something out to the Internet and then allow the response to come back to the internal network. It finds the actual physical device using its MAC (Media Access Control) address.

What happens is that your PC asks your router for an IP Address when it first connects, which the router supplies from a 'pool' or table of addresses that it keeps internally. It then remembers what IP Address it gave to which MAC address in that table, so it can look it up again in the future.

A MAC Address (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address) is a hardware address embedded in the NIC (Network Interface Card) built into your PC or other device. This is assigned to the NIC by the manufacturer based partially on standards set by the IEEE. You might be able to figure out who manufactured the NIC containing a specific MAC address, since that's built into the first part of the MAC itself.

Since the MAC Address is physically located on the NIC card in the computer in question and that computer can be located anywhere that the WiFi signal can reach, it's obvious that this can't help find the actual PC. This is why everyone's telling you to secure your network, since prevention is the only way to protect yourself. You have no technical or legal right to claim anyone did anything wrong since you left your door unlocked (no security) and advertised that fact (broadcast SSID).

The moral question still exists, but is basically pointless since there's no way to police this after the fact. This, and the fact that you never stated that you'd turned on any specific protection is why you got the respone you did. Whenever you post in any open forum, you need to explain yourself fully or be prepared to get an invalid response. Think first, or many questions will get asked later.

BitmanNice explanation of everything. That would explain why my ip is actually different when I go to my LAC.

Yeah I was actually going to decipher the MAC address but after reading about it I realized that would do me no good.

I've decided forget it, I got my security back up and that's all that matters.

2008-06-30, 23:28
I've decided forget it, I got my security back up and that's all that matters.

You got that right :)

twister1000
2009-05-24, 05:01
I live full time in an R.V. that is in the middle of a motel cluster. Most motels have password protected wifi. There are also Flying J and Loves with commercially controlled pay-for-access wifi. They have very strong router systems as I can pick up Flying J from 1.5 miles away. I can log into the front page to read basic weather and news.
That is the limit in the area but it does drop when a truck breaks the connection. I regularly (like right now) get free access from area motels that do not password protect their systems. The farthest is 1/2 mile away. The closest is 500 feet away. I do it with a parabolic dish and the usb wireless N card at the focal point. The parabolic dish is actually a weather radar dish. I know guys using c-band satellite dishes to connect up to 10 miles from an access point.
I save about $500 per year by not paying for service. I'm in the RV in the first place due to selling my home to pay off bills. A friend gave me the R.V. and right now, I'm making a little more than i spend per month. Wifi keeps me connected and as long as motels allow it I will continue to do so. But I would never take advantage of a home system.

theseeker
2011-11-29, 12:40
Why do everything the difficult and complicated way when you could just do things the simple way? Just secure your network by only allowing the MAC addresses of the devices you want connected to your router. No? After all, you obviously seem to have a Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11) or Wi-MAX (IEEE 802.16) capable network. Although I would not know why anyone would want to use Wi-MAX when it broadcasts at such long ranges that even at 10km away it's still transferring okay.