PDA

View Full Version : do I need registry cleaner

jwayne73
2008-06-25, 21:59
I don't believe my laptop have virsus, but it's slow at startup and alot times and I don't see any unusual processes running. Is this a registry issue. Is buying registry cleaner the answer? Are there free registry fixes out there?

thanks.

PepiMK
2008-06-25, 22:44
You came right in time for a fine new article about registry cleaners ;)
See: Registry Cleaners, not recommended (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038)

"Unusual processes" are not something that a registry cleaner could cure anyway, if at all, registry cleaners would clean up startup entries for files that do no longer exist (such could cause no running processes).

jwayne73
2008-06-26, 20:27
Can this forum help to identify why my laptop seems to be slow. The cpu and memory usage seems ok. Please advise.

thanks.

drragostea
2008-06-26, 20:53
As article said, Registry Cleaners Not Recommend, I would agree with such an article. Technically, the Windows OS registry is not really that big. It doesn't even take up 1/4 of the space in the hard drive.

What I don't like about Registry Cleaners, is that they promote a sense of paranoia. I don't believe they can optimize and I do not believe they can improve speed. What is most crucial about the registry is that it stores all the information of the Windows OS. Whether it's your favorite iPod video to your important documents. This also includes the Windows Boot up. A accidental or careless mistake can mean bad news.
Windows Registry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry).
--
What I was thinking was that there might be a "clog" in your Startup Manager. I mean like too many entries or too much unnecessary ones.

What is your OS? The amount of RAM? Any service packs?

Open TASK MANAGER and check how many processes are running.

jwayne73
2008-06-26, 21:57
I have XP version 2002, service pack 2, 512MB ram.
About 63 processes running.

where's the startup manager?

thanks.

drragostea
2008-06-26, 22:44
Looks like a heck lot of processes running.

Trust me, on a 512MB of RAM, 63 simultaneous processes WILL overwhelm your processor. I have 28 processes on a simple OS, but in the hot weather in the U.S, the cooling fan is on 24/7.

My recommendation is to first:
~DEFRAGMENT your drive!
~Clear the cache, temp. files, and cookies from your browsers.

Just these two simple steps will make your machine run a whole lot faster. After that, we'll talk about the start-up manager.

So basically the Startup Manager is the place where programs boot when your computer boots. What really slows things down is that if you have a lot of unnecessary programs that run a start-up and you have no use for it, then it would be a huge drain on computer resources.

Defragment your drive using Auslogics Disk Defrag (http://www.download.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html?tag=watch_dlimg&cdlPid=10855558).

bay_life25
2008-06-27, 09:57
would you say the defraggler by piriform is good also?

KillahSam
2008-06-27, 20:03
I've been using advanced registry optimizer and tbh at first it made my computer boot up faster, etc. Now my computer has no malware at all, no traces, no virus, totally clean and it wants to run slower now than it should.

I'd have to agree that register cleaners can do more harm than good.

drragostea
2008-06-28, 04:12
would you say the defraggler by piriform is good also?

I've been using advanced registry optimizer and tbh at first it made my computer boot up faster, etc. Now my computer has no malware at all, no traces, no virus, totally clean and it wants to run slower now than it should.

I'd have to agree that register cleaners can do more harm than good.

@Bay, yes. Defraggler is good. However, what I don't like about Auslogics is it's nagging to download "BoostSpeed". Personally, I just ignore it. I use Auslogics, because of it's performance and fast defraggler.

@Sam, is ARO paid or a trial? Hm. Lols, what I find ironic is that even that you know the registry cleaners are bad, you're using it. Hm. How? In what way does it make your computer fast? It doesn't offer a Startup Manager. Nor malware protection. Registry cleaning... cleans malware and viruses :laugh:. Sweet Sam -.-

...and it wants to run slower now than it should.

Lols. : )

KillahSam
2008-06-28, 07:28
@Sam, is ARO paid or a trial? Hm. Lols, what I find ironic is that even that you know the registry cleaners are bad, you're using it. Hm. How? In what way does it make your computer fast? It doesn't offer a Startup Manager. Nor malware protection. Registry cleaning... cleans malware and viruses :laugh:. Sweet Sam -.-

Lols. : )

I have the full version, I got linked to it from Ad-aware I tried it out. If I remember right it said something about it being able to boost PC performance, and something about time starting up. Well I tried it, I didn't know at first it just ended up making my computer worse than it was before sometimes.

& I was under the impression it just scanned for invalid registry entries and removed them to clean the registry of junk. I'm not sure about what the optimization does.

drragostea
2008-06-29, 02:16
I have the full version, I got linked to it from Ad-aware I tried it out. If I remember right it said something about it being able to boost PC performance, and something about time starting up. Well I tried it, I didn't know at first it just ended up making my computer worse than it was before sometimes.

& I was under the impression it just scanned for invalid registry entries and removed them to clean the registry of junk. I'm not sure about what the optimization does.

I see :sad:. Instead of optimizing, it degrades the performance. Commonly, to "optimize" the registry is to compact it. This way is good however, because it does not remove the keys. Just compacting them. More like defragmenting the registry.

KillahSam
2008-06-29, 04:02
I see :sad:. Instead of optimizing, it degrades the performance. Commonly, to "optimize" the registry is to compact it. This way is good however, because it does not remove the keys. Just compacting them. More like defragmenting the registry.

At least I have numerous backups to go to that ARO can restore.

Not sure if that will restore the performance, of if there is some sort of balance between using the cleaner/optimizer to an extent with out damaging the registry.

jwayne73
2008-07-01, 00:03
hi tea,

I did Defragment and cleaned IE temporary stuffs. What's next?

thanks.

Zenobia
2008-07-01, 00:24
You did some of the stuff listed already,but you could have a look at this page:
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/slowcomputer.html
You could try pcpitstop,too,that might give you some ideas as to why your computer is slow,if you run the tests:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/