PDA

View Full Version : Help- how to delete a dialogue box

Apadana
2008-07-08, 19:58
I am a new member. My neighbor downloaded a CD from his computer and it would not run. Later a dialogue box appeared, SMSC.EXE- "File corrupted, please run a virus check." SpyBot- Search & Destroy doesn't indicate that I have any virus. The dialogue box only appears when I start my computer.

Thanks,
Apadana

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-08, 20:18
Apadana:

Spybot does not detect viruses.

What program/software is issuing that dialog? It is important to attempt to determine what program/software is issuing the message. It could be a real/legitamate message from another installed anti-virus or anti-malware product or a message from a Trojan or rouge product trying enticing you buy their product.

Please elaborate if you can.

Apadana
2008-07-08, 21:54
Hi md usa spybot fan,

I am computer challenged. I have Windows 2000 Professional. Could you recommend anti-virus program? There is nothing indicating that I have purchase anything when it appears. Like said it only appears when I start my computer.
Thank you so much for help!!!
Apadana

Apadana:

Spybot does not detect viruses.

What program/software is issuing that dialog? It is important to attempt to determine what program/software is issuing the message. It could be a real/legitamate message from another installed anti-virus or anti-malware product or a message from a Trojan or rouge product trying enticing you buy their product.

Please elaborate if you can.

drragostea
2008-07-08, 22:53
...Could you recommend anti-virus program?

Free and purchase-available AV (anti-virus) programs:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16242

Never run two firewalls and/or anti-viruses at the same time. Doing so will can major conflicts.