PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.6 questions

gopackgo
2008-07-09, 18:41
How do I remove the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" right-click menu thing and how do I keep it from saying "We have located 657 temporary files... Scan speed will increase if you allow us to clean your temporary folder. Dou (should be Do) you want Spybot-S&D to do this for you?" when I start Spybot? What are the temporary files Spybot are reffering to, Temporary Internet Files?

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-09, 20:39
gopackgo:

How do I remove the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" right-click menu thing ...
Is the "... right-click menu thing ..." you are talking about in the Windows Explorer's right click context menu?

Tom.K
2008-07-09, 20:39
It's reffering to temporary files folder (Temp). The folder is located in:
Win 95/98/ME : C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
Win NT : C:\WINNT\TEMP (I'm not quite sure is this the real path)
Win XP/2000 : C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Local Settings\Temp

Temporary files info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_file

gopackgo
2008-07-09, 20:42
gopackgo:

Is the "... right-click menu thing ..." you are talking about in the Windows Explorer's right click context menu?

Yes, how do I remove it?

2008-07-09, 21:40
and I as well see no option in the settings of spybot, the only place i see to make it not show in the right click menu is during the install of spybot. So md spybot fan, can you tell me too where that option is located so I know for the future? thanks. =]

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-10, 01:06
et al.:

My initial post in this thread was to clarify:

... right-click menu thing ...
129260:

... the only place i see to make it not show in the right click menu is during the install of spybot. ...
That is correct:

During the installation of Spybot, a "Select Components" screen is presented that allows you to select "Which components should be installed". The screen presents the following options:
□ Main files
■ Icons for starting blind user mode
■ Additional languages
■ Skins to change appearance
■ Download updates immediately
■ Separate Secure Shredder application
■ Explorer file scan plugin (in file context menu)
The following option (selected by default) controls whether or not Spybot's scan option will be added to Windows Explorer's right click context menu:

… So md spybot fan, can you tell me too where that option is located so I know for the future? …
Since I did not personally install the option and therefore the components are not in place on my system, I am not in a position to tell you how to disable the option. Normally if you unregister the dll associated context menu item it will eliminate the option from the context menu. However, since I did not install the option I do not have a registered dll to unregister to try it.

gopackgo
2008-07-10, 05:40
So there is no way to disable it within Spybot? What dll do I have to unregister?

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-10, 07:00
gopackgo:

With Windows Explorer running, go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode » Tools » double click on Process List in the right hand pane. When the Process List opens, scroll down until you find the process Explorer.exe in the upper right hand pane. Select the entry. Select the Loaded modules tab in the lower hand pane. Scroll through the listing of loaded modules and see if there is an entry for a dll loaded from C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Zer0 Voltage
2008-07-10, 10:20
Actually, the final 1.6 code is now using an executable (SDFiles.exe) which gives us a nice stand-alone interface instead of the previous method which required manually registering SDFiles.dll and only worked within the file/folder properties tabs.

So no DLL's to unregister. AFAIK, the only thing you need to do to remove the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" context menu entry is to remove the associated Registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\sdfiles

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\sdfiles

At least that worked when I tried it.

I've attached a ZIP file with two REG files you can merge to turn it on and off easily. Don't even need to reboot when doing either. :)

Just be aware that the "Enable" file assumes you installed to "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\" - so if you didn't, you'll need to modify it accordingly. The "Disable" file doesn't care.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-10, 15:21
Zer0 Voltage:

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
md usa spybot fan

gopackgo
2008-07-10, 17:29
Excellent, worked like a charm Zer0 Voltage. :)

2008-07-10, 21:57
md spybot fan! thanks, i just wanted to make sure i was thinking right.

burfie
2008-07-15, 08:00
I was wondering the same thing.
Seems strange there's no setting to disable the context menu...
but thanks, Zero, for the fix!!!

tiger2
2008-07-24, 18:19
[QUOTE=md usa spybot fan;210901]et al.:

My initial post in this thread was to clarify:

129260:

That is correct:

During the installation of Spybot, a "Select Components" screen is presented that allows you to select "Which components should be installed". The screen presents the following options:
□ Main files
■ Icons for starting blind user mode
■ Additional languages
■ Skins to change appearance
■ Download updates immediately
■ Separate Secure Shredder application
The following option (selected by default) controls whether or not Spybot's scan option will be added to Windows Explorer's right click context menu:

What does "Download updates immediately" mean?
Also, what does the following mean?
#1- Install Security Center Integration
#2- Activate Security Center Integration

I have Vista HPsp1

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-24, 19:07
tiger2:

... What does "Download updates immediately" mean?
"Download updates immediately" gives the opportunity to download the latest files (detection, language, help, etc.) during the installation rather than go into Spybot » Update after the installation. Note: Some people have had problems in the past using that option. See:
Installing 1.5.2
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=29467

Also, what does the following mean?
#1- Install Security Center Integration
#2- Activate Security Center Integration
The Windows Security Center in Vista includes the ability to monitor the status of anti-malware products. The "Install Security Center Integration" and "Activate Security Center Integration" options install and activate the interfaces to enable the Windows Security Center to do that with Spybot. See:
Windows Vista Help Using Windows Security Center
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/help/c5e78ee2-b00a-444d-8c57-e29bda8768a81033.mspx

tiger2
2008-07-25, 01:14
tiger2:

"Download updates immediately" gives the opportunity to download the latest files (detection, language, help, etc.) during the installation rather than go into Spybot » Update after the installation. Note: Some people have had problems in the past using that option. See:
Installing 1.5.2
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=29467

The Windows Security Center in Vista includes the ability to monitor the status of anti-malware products. The "Install Security Center Integration" and "Activate Security Center Integration" options install and activate the interfaces to enable the Windows Security Center to do that with Spybot. See:
Windows Vista Help Using Windows Security Center
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/help/c5e78ee2-b00a-444d-8c57-e29bda8768a81033.mspx

=================
Thank you so much.
I deleted SpyBot 1.5.2 and began to install 1.6, however, near end of install I got the message:

"Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Spy Bot - Search and Destroy\SD Win Sec.exe.
Create Process failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation."

What does this mean? Should I now uninstall 1.6 and re-install 1.5.2 which was working fine?

After the message about "Unable to execute file..." the 1.6 appeared to LOAD COMPLETELY. I haven't done anything else with it as I am unsure about what the message meant.
I am a complete novice at this and my husband is on a trip and will not return for quite a while. I just don't want anything to happen to our new Vista while he is out of town.

Alice
7/24/08 (Vista HPsp1)

yourpcguy73
2008-08-08, 23:31
you da man

Actually, the final 1.6 code is now using an executable (SDFiles.exe) which gives us a nice stand-alone interface instead of the previous method which required manually registering SDFiles.dll and only worked within the file/folder properties tabs.

So no DLL's to unregister. AFAIK, the only thing you need to do to remove the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" context menu entry is to remove the associated Registry keys:

I've attached a ZIP file with two REG files you can merge to turn it on and off easily. Don't even need to reboot when doing either. :)

Just be aware that the "Enable" file assumes you installed to "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\" - so if you didn't, you'll need to modify it accordingly. The "Disable" file doesn't care.

Doughboy814
2008-10-16, 23:23
Hey Zer0 Voltage, where do I go in my computer to find the Registry keys

so I can remove them like you did and replace them with a file from your zip file. I still have Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy as the top item when I right click openning a jpeg file on my computer. I want to to eliminate the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" right click context menu option entirely from the context menu on all file types, Thanks for your help.

ajk1962f
2008-12-15, 00:39
Zer0 Voltage,

I just downloaded the zip file and saw the two registry files inside it.

I've attached a ZIP file with two REG files you can merge to turn it on and off easily. Don't even need to reboot when doing either.

Forgive my ignorance, but merge what with what? Normally I consider myself to have more PC smarts than the average end-user, but I'm registry-challenged. Can you (or anyone else reading) explain exactly what I need to do here? Thanks in advance.

ajk1962f :scratch:

drragostea
2008-12-15, 02:47
Just like any other .reg file you'll have to double-click it.

ajk1962f
2008-12-15, 18:18
Hi,

I think I should clarify. I don't know how to make changes to the registry. I know absolutely nothing about what has to be done here. I'm looking for step-by-step instructions. My apologies if this is a problem, but I don't want to do anything to put my system in jeopardy.

Maybe it would be better if I just uninstalled and reinstalled SS&D altogether. I don't have the knowledge or experience to make registry changes. But I would like to know how to make the registry change if someone has the patience to explain it thoroughly.

Thanks.

ajk1962f

md usa spybot fan
2008-12-15, 18:38
ajk1962f:

To disable the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" context menu feature:
Download the Enable+Disable Spybot-S&D Context Menu Entry.zip (http://forums.spybot.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=2394&d=1215674077) file. The zip file The zip file contains the following files:
Disable Spybot-S&D Context Menu Entry.reg
Enable Spybot-S&D Context Menu Entry.reg
Unzip (extract) the contents of the file to a known location.
Double click on the extracted "Disable Spybot-S&D Context Menu Entry.reg" file.
Answer "Yes" then "OK".

alicez
2008-12-16, 01:43
Should we (my husband and I) still be receiving notations when a new post is posted to our original post?
I think other people have added their questions to pir original post rather than starting another thread. Or maybe I am mistaken.
Thank you.

Alice

(My husband also uses tiger2 to post.)

drragostea
2008-12-16, 01:45
If you are subscribed to a thread, you can see if it updated or not with new posts in your Control Panel.

What thread are you awaiting answers for (link too)?

alicez
2008-12-16, 01:52
Just looked in our mail box and notice a update to this thread by "md usa spybot fan."

I believe as far as I and my husband (he is not here at moment) are concerned, we are finished with this thread. Just a bit confusing.

Thanks,

Alice

drragostea
2008-12-16, 01:55
I think other people have added their questions to pir original post rather than starting another thread. Or maybe I am mistaken.

If the thread title is in bold then it means that it is updated with new posts.

Are you saying you have a unresolved query?

alicez
2008-12-16, 02:01
No, we are not awaiting an answer. That is why it was a bit confusing that we were receiving an email stating there was another post.
I thought my husband asked a question and he received an answer and that was that. I was trying to determine what the latest post was referring to. Believe it was referring to a question asked by someone else.

Alice

drragostea
2008-12-16, 02:06
Well, there's an option in your control panel that enables you to receive email notifications of each new update. You can always disable that. :oreo:

Sheepdog
2009-11-13, 08:14

Thank you! It worked like a charm! :bigthumb:

Gopher John
2009-11-13, 18:12
Just looked in our mail box and notice a update to this thread by "md usa spybot fan."

I believe as far as I and my husband (he is not here at moment) are concerned, we are finished with this thread. Just a bit confusing.

Thanks,

Alice

While you are in this thread, scroll up to the top. Under Thread Tools, select "Unsubscribe to this thread". Then, you'll no longer receive emails on each new post to this thread only.

awdawd
2011-04-19, 13:40

Thanks. That is helpful.