PDA

View Full Version : Syntax Error!?

Tom.K
2008-07-09, 20:27
When I was browsing forum, at down-left corner (status bar) there is a warning icon with text "Errors on page." when I've clicked the warning icon, it showed a window with details about error (look an attachment). It was a syntax error. Can someone explain why there is a syntax error in forum?

blues
2008-07-09, 20:39
there is a syntax error on almost every site i visit, but i have yet to find out why:scratch: it has been like this since i buyed the computer some years ago.

drragostea
2008-07-10, 00:29
I usually receive "errors on page" when using IE. It sounds like something is not displayed correctly.
--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax_error

http://www.learnthenet.com/ENGLISH/glossary/syntax.htm
--

Do you guys have the latest version of IE?

However, I still think it occurs regardless of IE version...

Firefox... for now I have not noticed it.

It says 'Done'.

blues
2008-07-10, 00:35
i have ie7. and it is impossible to find out wats the cause, i havent found a solution. so i cant explain why there is a syntax error on this forum.

drragostea
2008-07-10, 00:37
I'm not sure what may be the problem... have you tried Firefox?

I recall that I was playing Neopets in the past, and I encountered 'Error on Page' in IE6. It had a yellow triangular icon.

blues
2008-07-10, 00:45
i dont like firefox, and wont install it because i have enough junk on the computer from uninstalled programs even when having removed the most of the junk. but i dont need help with this because no problems seems to happen. but it wasnt me who made the thread, i just wanted to tell that i have the same error.

drragostea
2008-07-10, 01:11
You seemed confused in the previous threads about how formatting removes all traces of any programs on the computer. It wipes the drives clean and restores all default files.

Personally, I use Revo Uninstaller to remove the program, this includes removing all the registry keys and application files/data/folders.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-10, 07:34
Tom.K:

The URL in your attachment indicates the syntax error was when you were accessing the Tavern (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=19) forum. I do not get a syntax error. I am running Internet Explorer 7 and you should be too since it is more secure that Internet Explorer 6.

Try installing Internet Explorer 7 and see if the problem clears up.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-10, 19:43
I stand corrected. I am syntax error now also.

blues
2008-07-10, 19:48
You seemed confused in the previous threads about how formatting removes all traces of any programs on the computer. It wipes the drives clean and restores all default files.

Personally, I use Revo Uninstaller to remove the program, this includes removing all the registry keys and application files/data/folders.

i installed revo uninstaller today, it has some cool features. but when trying to update it i got a syntax error in revo too and i got the message: you have the latest version of Revo Uninstaller. and when using the proof deleter, my computer gave messages like: you have almost no space on the computer, but when it was finished everything was back to normal. i have uninstalled almost everything in the uninstall menu in revo just for the heck of it, and now my computer is totally screwed up, thanks for recommending it and thanks for nothing:laugh:

Tom.K
2008-07-10, 20:49
i installed revo uninstaller today, it has some cool features. but when trying to update it i got a syntax error in revo too and i got the message: you have the latest version of Revo Uninstaller. and when using the proof deleter, my computer gave messages like: you have almost no space on the computer, but when it was finished everything was back to normal. i have uninstalled almost everything in the uninstall menu in revo just for the heck of it, and now my computer is totally screwed up, thanks for recommending it and thanks for nothing:laugh:
Try to use System Restore.

About error, it seems that IE6 only has this error.
Firefox: No errors. (Post #3)
IE 6: Syntax Error. (Post #1)
IE 7: No errors. (Post #4)
What about Opera, K-Meleon, Flock, Safari... do they have this problem?

drragostea
2008-07-10, 21:28
...i have uninstalled almost everything in the uninstall menu in revo just for the heck of it, and now my computer is totally screwed up, thanks for recommending it and thanks for nothing:laugh:

No problem blues, glad to be of help : ).

Glad to be of help, since you did not know how to use Revo Uninstaller.

Basically it's like Windows default ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window, with just more extensive options and features.

blues
2008-07-10, 21:31
Try to use System Restore.

About error, it seems that IE6 only has this error.
Firefox: No errors. (Post #3)
IE 6: Syntax Error. (Post #1)
IE 7: No errors. (Post #4)
What about Opera, K-Meleon, Flock, Safari... do they have this problem?

i have ie7 and there is not only on this site the error occurs. but the syntax error in revo was different, it came up a window asking if i wanted to run scripts on the page, it was inside of revo and came from this url http://www.revouninstaller.com/whatelse.html and when i actually visited the page then the error window didnt appear. but it still was an error in the down left corner on the page. if you find out a solution to your problem then you maybe can tell it. i wont try all browsers known to man to check if they have errors too. i dont see problems happening on the sites other than the error message in the down left corner so it is not really a problem for me but it is a little bit annoying.

blues
2008-07-10, 21:33
No problem blues, glad to be of help : ).

Glad to be of help, since you did not know how to use Revo Uninstaller.

Basically it's like Windows default ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window, with just more extensive options and features.

i was just kidding. but it is a syntax error in revo when i update it.

drragostea
2008-07-10, 21:48
Alright, I'm going to try Revo's and this forum in IE 7 to see if I'm experiencing... any 'strange' errors or pop-ups.

blues&Tom, is this Syntax Error like... a yellow triangular sign? What does it look like, because I've never encountered this error before.

Edit: Report back.

Revo's site didn't report any error. Just a pop-up dialog telling me that the site wanted to installed Adobe Flash.

However, when I visited this forum on the bottom left hand corner, it said "Done, but with errors on page". It had a triangular yellow sign on a piece of paper. A "!" sign in the middle.

Note: Sites rendered in IE look worse than those rendered with Firefox. The text were too big (main site) or just squished together (forum).

blues
2008-07-10, 21:57
Alright, I'm going to try Revo's and this forum in IE 7 to see if I'm experiencing... any 'strange' errors or pop-ups.

blues&Tom, is this Syntax Error like... a yellow triangular sign? What does it look like, because I've never encountered this error before.

Edit: Report back.

Revo's site didn't report any error. Just a pop-up dialog telling me that the site wanted to installed Adobe Flash.

However, when I visited this forum on the bottom left hand corner, it said "Done, but with errors on page". It had a triangular yellow sign on a piece of paper. A "!" sign in the middle.

Note: Sites rendered in IE look worse than those rendered with Firefox. The text were too big (main site) or just squished together (forum).

it is "done, but with errors on page" here too. also when updating from inside revo.

drragostea
2008-07-10, 22:12
:sad: Not sure what may be the problem. I'm just ignoring it for now, because I don't use IE.

blues, are you experiencing any other trouble or minor annoyances? Do pages load correctly in IE 7?

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/_Chronnos_/ie764iz5.png

blues
2008-07-10, 22:15
some pages are freezing in ie7.

drragostea
2008-07-10, 22:16
Like it doesn't load at all? Clear the cache, temp. files, and cookies.

Are you using a DSL connection?

blues
2008-07-10, 22:27
it loads, but freezes on some pages and the fan is making noise. i clear everything once a week and the programs is updated when there is a update. i think it is dsl.

drragostea
2008-07-10, 22:31
A week? -.-" It sounds a bit too much, I mean unless you don't use the Internet that much then its a different story.

If you manage to browse for some hours and accumulate around 35-50MB of cache in one day, then it would be best to clear it every 2-3 days. I just browse sites, such as this forum and I still manage to accumulate 35MB of cache.

35Mb of cache, *7 days.= 245MB of cache in a week.

blues
2008-07-11, 13:45
i have the temporary internet files set to 250MB microsoft recommends according to the descriptions in ie7 that it should be set between 50 and 250MB but i usually doesnt hear on all their recommendations, but i do send error reports. what do you have the temporary internet files size set to? are you sending error reports? do you use the proof deleter in revo? i got a message from windows that i had almost no discspace again, and that was when running the proof deleter. but when revo was finished deleting then everything went back to normal.

blues
2008-07-11, 16:21
i decided however not to restart the computer when uninstalling antivir with revo, just to let revo finish its job. even when antivir asked to restart the computer. what do you use to do?

Greyfox
2008-07-11, 17:56
Does this help?

blues
2008-07-11, 18:22
Does this help?

that is the message i get when clicking on the yellow triangle, but with different urls and such, it depends on the websites i visit. but it happens on this forum too.

Tom.K
2008-07-11, 22:07
That syntax error says: Line 2, Char 1.
This is a line 2 of HTML source code:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en">
What's wrong in here?

2008-07-11, 22:18
and all that pretty well, and i see nothing wrong with it.........weird. by the way, firefox shows no syntax error. let me try internet explorer 7......

update: i get it to as well. ie7=>

line:2
char:1
code 0
syntax error
url: http:/forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Tom.K
2008-07-11, 22:32
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/ links to XHTML namespace.
129260, can you check the source code comlpletely (line 2)?
There must be something wrong.

This is weird: When I'm in "Work Offline", and when I have visited this forum (offline), there wasn't any errors. No yellow triangle icon. The site was OK.

Forgot to mention: This syntax error affects even wiki.spybot.info.

2008-07-11, 22:34
ill take a look in the "source". everyone else can help by hitting view-source in IE 7. ill check that offline thing as well and see what i get.

2008-07-11, 22:41
it appears that there is an extra space and a parentheses is in the wrong place. You know what is amazing with webpages? one little space or wrong type of mark can screw alot up. such as an "." or ", etc...

I honestly besides that see nothing wrong with line 2, at least none of which that would cause a syntax error, even with the wrong " in the wrong place, i would not think it would cause that type of error...i see nothing wrong with the rest for that matter. I'm going to test out the offline and see what happens there....hmm ya just like tom k i get no error when browsing offline....odd.....i guess its just internet explorer =] haha You know IE always had a mind of its own ;)

drragostea
2008-07-12, 01:00
i have the temporary internet files set to 250MB microsoft recommends according to the descriptions in ie7 that it should be set between 50 and 250MB but i usually doesnt hear on all their recommendations, but i do send error reports. what do you have the temporary internet files size set to? are you sending error reports? do you use the proof deleter in revo? i got a message from windows that i had almost no discspace again, and that was when running the proof deleter. but when revo was finished deleting then everything went back to normal.

@blues, well it seems that you're interested...

I used Mozilla Firefox as a benchmark. I've set IE 7 to 50MB of cache. Why? Well, if Firefox isn't having any problems then IE shouldn't either. I usually accumulate around 35-50MB in a session. Something over 50MB would be rare, but not impossbile.

Two: I do not send Error Reports, because I haven't seem Microsoft done crap about it. (Excuse the language).

Three: I never use the Proof Deleter provided by Revo because:
1: I'm not familiar with it.
2: I'm unclear on what it deletes.
3. I use CCleaner.

4: Maybe the Proof Deleter may be triggering the disk space.

@Greyfox, &others. Thanks for making it clear.

I haven't encountered anything that was similar to Greyfox's screenshot, but I have encountered a "errors on page" on the bottom left hand corner of IE 7.

Firefox 3 doesn't show anything nor does 2.0.0.14.

blues
2008-07-12, 10:25
@blues, well it seems that you're interested...

I used Mozilla Firefox as a benchmark. I've set IE 7 to 50MB of cache. Why? Well, if Firefox isn't having any problems then IE shouldn't either. I usually accumulate around 35-50MB in a session. Something over 50MB would be rare, but not impossbile.

Two: I do not send Error Reports, because I haven't seem Microsoft done crap about it. (Excuse the language).

Three: I never use the Proof Deleter provided by Revo because:
1: I'm not familiar with it.
2: I'm unclear on what it deletes.
3. I use CCleaner.

4: Maybe the Proof Deleter may be triggering the disk space.

@Greyfox, &others. Thanks for making it clear.

I haven't encountered anything that was similar to Greyfox's screenshot, but I have encountered a "errors on page" on the bottom left hand corner of IE 7.

Firefox 3 doesn't show anything nor does 2.0.0.14.

well it seems that you're interested...
interested?

i was told this on the hphosts forum: Half of xp sp2 errors were fixed due to error reporting http://forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=491 i havent seen they have done anything about the error reports either, maybe i should stop sending, it may be a privacy threat to send the error reports. just click on the triangle on the bottom left corner to see the error message.
according to the description in the proof deleter, it deletes things you have deleted from the garbage bin and makes it unrecoverable. the messages from windows when using proof deleter seemed however to be critical, so it may not be so good to use it.

drragostea
2008-07-12, 22:24
I don't send them because it's not really that important. Example: Firefox 3 does not respond and I have to force close it, thus this generates a error report, which I don't send.

Out of the millions of users who use Windows OS, you and me are only a tiny portion of the overall population. Less than one percent.

honda12
2008-07-19, 00:51
I don't send them because it's not really that important. Example: Firefox 3 does not respond and I have to force close it, thus this generates a error report, which I don't send.

Out of the millions of users who use Windows OS, you and me are only a tiny portion of the overall population. Less than one percent.

well, even if you go by that logic - if you don't report the problem, you are decreasing the chance of it being fixed, besides the firefox error reporting system is quick and harmless (well, that's coming from the overly biased firefox fan :FF:!)

drragostea
2008-07-19, 01:37
I like Firefox too, however after reading Bitman's post in one thread, I began to lose support for Firefox that it is the "safest" browser on the web. Yes, it just has some bells and whistles plus a layer of protection than IE 7, but Firefox just disables Active X.