PDA

View Full Version : New Member w/Media Play Prob.

pfa11
2008-07-15, 11:51
Hello, helpful board members. Hope this's the correct place to ask... I've gotten assistance here before [last few yrs] under a diff. username, but am computing again after 6> months, wireless this time, and just d/l-ed SWB S&D. I have a Compaq desktop, 380-some memory, Wdos XP OS, using the Firefox browser. Sales slip says: "PC 1000, 380K+, 20gig, XP Pro". I've performed most Wdos updates and have scanned w/ AdAware, S&D and AVG Free version w/good results.

The machine performs well and reasonably fast, but will not play some vid formats. Quicktime and Wdos Media player work OK, but when I go to youtube, news sites, etc, I'm informed that "either Javascript is disabled or my flashplayer needs updated" to #9 or above. Javascripting IS enabled [tools>options>,>...] and I've updated to both Adobe Flash #s 8 and 9, more than once {pop-up boxes indicated both updates [to Adobe 8 & 9] were successful]. I also updated to the latest Java.

Any suggestions/help?? Would appreciate it... After all, what good's a computer w/o youtube acccess??

Thanking all in advance, pfa...

blues
2008-07-15, 14:28
maybe you can try to uninstall flash player and install it afterwards.

download the uninstaller from here: www.adobe.com

pfa11
2008-07-16, 20:33
:cool: Thank you, blues.

While the site you directed me did not have a specific uninstaller, after downloading their latest Flash version, I now have youtube, etc, access.

Thanks! Peace & stuff

blues
2008-07-16, 20:43
the adobe sites are a pain to navigate through, here you have the uninstaller if you need it another time http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=1 i think it is the right site.:)

pfa11
2008-07-20, 10:12
the adobe sites are a pain to navigate through, here you have the uninstaller if you need it another time [url... :)

:) Thanks, again. I've filed the url in case...

blues
2008-07-20, 10:32
glad i could help you:)

pfa11
2008-07-25, 09:29
:sad: Got 'zlob-bed' a few days ago and had to (unsuccessfully) re-install Windows XP Pro. Am now on a loaner machine (XP Home Ed.) and had to perform the same Adobe Uninstall that Blues had suggested above. I then isnt'd. Firefrox 3 w/Media Player plugin, and now have the same won't play/"update Adobe" msg... Grrr...

Forgive my ignorance, but should I simply uninstall Mozilla's plugin (I like its features), or un/reinstall Adobe Flash once more??

Thanks again. Cheerage...

drragostea
2008-07-25, 21:48
I compared your first post to your most recent post, and my response is:

Mozilla Firefox 3 supports Java with no problems. Youtube uses Adobe Flash Player if I'm correct. My solution is to open the 'Add/Remove Programs' window via Control Panel and remove all instances of the Adobe Flash Player.

Following that, download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player at:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=shockwaveFlash.

After successfully installed it should look like this in your Add/Remove Programs window:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z276/Shockwavesn1per/07-25-08001.jpg

It should work fine now.