PDA

View Full Version : Just installed Photoshop 7...

dannyboy
2008-07-23, 21:32
Hi there.

Because I just reformatted computer I had to reinstall Photoshop.

I got this message

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8450/screengrabxx9.jpg

after opening it and I don't know what it means or what to do really. I want my computer and photoshop to run as fast as possible so does anyone know what I do to resolve the problem they've highlighted?

I actually got a message when I was on the net one time about my ''virtual memory being low'' so maybe resolving this will actually help my computer all round. I just don't know how to reset the volumes and whatnot.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Greyfox
2008-07-27, 03:45
Dan

From the Photoshop help
"When your system does not have enough RAM to perform an operation, Photoshop and ImageReady use a proprietary virtual memory technology, also called scratch disks. A scratch disk is any drive or a partition of a drive with free memory. By default, Photoshop and ImageReady use the hard drive that the operating system is installed on as its primary scratch disk.

You can change the primary scratch disk and, in Photoshop, designate a second, third, or fourth scratch disk to be used when the primary disk is full. Your primary scratch disk should be your fastest hard disk, and should have plenty of defragmented space available.

The following guidelines can help you assign scratch disks:

For best performance, scratch disks should be on a different drive than any large files you are editing.
Scratch disks should be on a different drive than the one used for virtual memory.
Scratch disks should be on a local drive. That is, they should not be accessed over a network.
Scratch disks should be conventional (non-removable) media.
Raid disks/disk arrays are good choices for dedicated scratch disk volumes.
Drives with scratch disks should be defragmented regularly."

If you have only a single hard drive, with only a single partition then this suggestion is not applicable, your virtual memory and photoshop scratch disk will be on the same drive.