PDA

View Full Version : 900 WEB ACCESS charge

Apadana
2008-07-30, 20:02
I recently got a bill from my phone company with an additional charge from MCI for a 900 WEB ACCESS charge. The time of this charge was right around when I was infected by a "nasty" virus. Can you give any suggestions how to protect yourself from this type of unauthorized charge on the internet?

Much appreciated,
Apadana

blues
2008-07-30, 20:08
what about a-squared Anti-Dialer if it was a dialer you had? i have not tried it. but maybe it was not a dialer you had.

drragostea
2008-07-30, 20:10
It's likely that it is a dialer. Apadana, I'm assuming you are using a dial-up connection. Spybot-SD detects dialers, so run a scan with the program. Also, run the tool suggested by blues in Post #2.

Apadana
2008-07-30, 20:22
what about a-squared Anti-Dialer if it was a dialer you had? i have not tried it. but maybe it was not a dialer you had.

Hi Blues,
Please, forgive me but I am really computer challenged. I mainly have used my computer as a word processor. What is a Anti-Dialer?

Also, maybe you can explain this to me: When I went to the Registry Key I found in Windows NT/Current Version- MCI/MCI Extensions/MCI 32. Is this MCI the phone company? If so why would it be in my registry?

Thank you for your time and help!
Apadana

blues
2008-07-30, 20:35
here is a description of dialers: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/kb/articles/tec041212/

anti-dialer means a program that detects and deletes dialers i think, but i have never used them.

some antispywares and antiviruses detects and deletes dialers.

i dont have the knowledge to say anything about the registry key you have.

Apadana
2008-07-30, 20:51
here is a description of dialers: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/kb/articles/tec041212/

anti-dialer means a program that detects and deletes dialers i think, but i have never used them.

some antispywares and antiviruses detects and deletes dialers.

i dont have the knowledge to say anything about the registry key you have.

Dear Blues,
I checked my antispyware program and it has a dialer feature. Thank you!!!

Apadana

blues
2008-07-30, 21:06
no problem:)

tashi
2008-07-30, 21:24
I recently got a bill from my phone company with an additional charge from MCI for a 900 WEB ACCESS charge.
900 Numbers: FTC Rule Helps Consumers (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/tmarkg/nine.shtm)

Also, maybe you can explain this to me: When I went to the Registry Key I found in Windows NT/Current Version- MCI/MCI Extensions/MCI 32. Is this MCI the phone company?

http://www.who.is/domain_information-com/mci.com/

Apadana
2008-07-30, 21:47
900 Numbers: FTC Rule Helps Consumers (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/tmarkg/nine.shtm)

Hi Tashi,

When I got my bill from AT&T last week I went on Google to find out what a 900 WEB ACCESS (carrier MCI) was about. I found that FTC website and filed a complaint. They emailed me back and said they didn't regulate the internet and suggested filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (affiliated with FBI); I also filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

The AT&T representative encouraged me to file a complaint otherwise the proper authorities won't be alerted by the consumers.

I went on that MCI site but I couldn't find Microsoft being on their domain. Maybe MCI/MCI Extensions/MCI32 is something unrelated to MCI the phone company?

Thank you!
Apadana

drragostea
2008-07-30, 23:21
Just wanted to add that Spybot-SD's Resident Shield (TeaTimer) will terminate dialers (that is why there is a "blacklist" when you hover the mouse over the TeaTimer icon in the Taskbar). Because dialer programs are time critical TeaTimer will terminate them the second it is executed.

tashi, I just wanted to make sure... dialer programs do not affect DSL connections (high-speed; permanently connected) do they?

Apadana
2008-07-30, 23:29

Hi Tashi,

Oops, I goofed by saying the FTC doesn't investigate internet crimes, I meant the FCC doesn't.

I went back on my registry key and opened the folder/s for MCI and turns out they are related to audio/video stuff.

You have a wealth of knowledge and thank you for sharing some of it with me.

Apadana

tashi
2008-07-31, 05:13
Hi there,

I went on that MCI site but I couldn't find Microsoft being on their domain.
Microsoft? Sorry you have lost me. :)

I went back on my registry key and opened the folder/s for MCI and turns out they are related to audio/video stuff.

Yes MCI can be audio/video related also.

If you have concerns the computer may be infected.

Follow the procedure in this link: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) where a helper will advise you as soon as available.

Cheers.

Apadana
2008-07-31, 05:49
Hi there,

Follow the procedure in this link: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) where a helper will advise you as soon as available.

Cheers.

Dear Tashi,
The virus was a worm.. that infected my computer; it was so bad that it froze my computer. Two repair shops said get rid of it and the third said they could fix it. I have a virus protection in the computer now.

Thanks again for ALL your help!
Apadana

drragostea
2008-07-31, 05:56
Were you able to remove it? Do you still need to request assistance in the Malware Forums?

Apadana
2008-07-31, 17:19
Were you able to remove it? Do you still need to request assistance in the Malware Forums?

Hi Drragostea,

I think the virus was removed but the cost of the repair was almost as much as an expensive new modem. Like I said before I basically just used this computer as a word processor- making cards, labels, documents and etc. I found this site because it was on the repair shop's website as one of the recommended virus protections. Besides charging me a lot for the virus removal they forgot to put the included antivirus protection.

It was recommended that I reinstall my Microsoft Program and that has caused all kinds of problems. Can't reinstall my Word Program nor my Epson Printer. I haven't purchased a new computer because I am learning more about the computer by searching and asking questions on this forum. Always been intimated by the computer and reluctant to learn more about it. I would have never gone into my Registry Key before but now it is like what do I have to lose...

I see more positive out of this because it forced me learn more about the computer and not to be so complacent about it. Also it led me to this forum where the members have been so helpful and patient!

Thank you for your concern,
Apadana

drragostea
2008-07-31, 22:02
Wow. It must have been a expensive repair :sad:. I remember one time when my brother (older) took my old Windows 98 (Sony VAIO) to a computer repair shop in New York to "wipe" the drive... and it was costly. In that time, it was in the 2000's.

As for a new computer, I would suggest you hold on to the current one until it "wears" out. My suggestions are:
-Use a surge protector.
-Use a anti-virus program, firewall, and at least one anti-spyware program.
- Safe hex.
-Save up the money for some other technical devices. Maybe purchasing new RAM or a new replacement cable of some sort. The choice is yours.

Why can't you install MS Word? Was there an error?
I'm assuming you're using Windows XP OS. Do you know the capacity of the hard drive that is on your computer (C:\)?

Have you defragmented lately?

These questions may seem overwhelming to you, but don't worry. Take it step by step.

Apadana
2008-07-31, 23:40
Wow. It must have been a expensive repair :sad:. I remember one time when my brother (older) took my old Windows 98 (Sony VAIO) to a computer repair shop in New York to "wipe" the drive... and it was costly. In that time, it was in the 2000's.

As for a new computer, I would suggest you hold on to the current one until it "wears" out. My suggestions are:
-Use a surge protector.
-Use a anti-virus program, firewall, and at least one anti-spyware program.
- Safe hex.
-Save up the money for some other technical devices. Maybe purchasing new RAM or a new replacement cable of some sort. The choice is yours.

Why can't you install MS Word? Was there an error?
I'm assuming you're using Windows XP OS. Do you know the capacity of the hard drive that is on your computer (C:\)?

Have you defragmented lately?

These questions may seem overwhelming to you, but don't worry. Take it step by step.

Dear drragostea,

After the virus was removed it was recommended that I reinstall Microsoft Professional 2000. This computer was given to me and it was rebuilt. Well, these are the things I lost:
1. Internet Explorer 6 lost and back to Internet Explorer 5
2. Only can reinstall Word Program but it is distorted
3. Can't reinstall Epson Printer

What is so strange is that many of things that were in Programs are in (C:) in files. When I try to install Internet Explorer 6 back it won't allow me because I don't have enough space.

Someone from another forum suggested this: http://www.windows2000.windowsreinstall.com/installoldhdd/index.htm
But I have tried many times and nothing happens...

I am using this computer as a learning tool and if I can't get my Word Program and printer back by November, need to go shopping for a new one. Christmas I like to make cards and labels.

Thanks for your help and concern!!!
Apadana

drragostea
2008-08-01, 00:37
Since you reinstalled Windows 2000 Professional and it was rebuilt, have you attempted to use Windows Update?
http://update.microsoft.com
--

Can't reinstall my Word Program nor my Epson Printer.
Is there a error message when you could not install MS Word?

I found a link to the Epson drivers site:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/SupportIndex.jsp
--
Windows Update should have provided you with IE6.

Apadana, if you wish to download Internet Explorer 6, here is the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx

However, remember that this is a large file (MB's.) If you cannot download it with a dial-up connection the workaround is to download it with a DSL (high-speed) connection, let that be a friend or acquaintance.

2008-08-01, 03:28
tashi, I just wanted to make sure... dialer programs do not affect DSL connections (high-speed; permanently connected) do they?

No they do not. :) Only dial up connections 56k and below. Not dsl or any type of high speed internet. :)

Apadana
2008-08-01, 04:24
Since you reinstalled Windows 2000 Professional and it was rebuilt, have you attempted to use Windows Update?
http://update.microsoft.com
--

Is there a error message when you could not install MS Word?

I found a link to the Epson drivers site:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/SupportIndex.jsp
--
Windows Update should have provided you with IE6.

Apadana, if you wish to download Internet Explorer 6, here is the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx

However, remember that this is a large file (MB's.) If you cannot download it with a dial-up connection the workaround is to download it with a DSL (high-speed) connection, let that be a friend or acquaintance.

Hi drragostea,
Have no clue what you meant by dial connection vs. DSL?

The Microsoft site is the same one I have downloaded many times Internet
Explorer 6, now but it won't down load completely.

Microsoft Works Suite gives me a message to Exit but strange it allows me to install just the Word Program but distorted.

I have already checked Epson's site. The error message is lengthy numbers saying memory can't be read.

I have already reinstalled the upgrade from the CD but it doesn't seem to help nor repair anything.

Like I said it is so strange that if anything does get installed it seems to go to (C:/) instead of programs. The only thing I have in Programs is Mozilla and a dysfunctional Word program.

I wonder why when I completely reinstall the Microsoft Professional 2000 program it gets so mixed up?

Thanks again,
Apadana

drragostea
2008-08-01, 04:42
To be honest with you Apadana, I'm stumped too. The main difference between a dial-up connection and a DSL connection (high-speed) would be the upload/download speeds. A major disadvantage of dial-up connection is that it uses the home telephone line. So it's either one way or another; talk on the phone or connect to the Internet. If another person attempts to call your phone while you're on the Internet, the call would be unsuccessful. Compared to a DSL connection, you can both call and surf at the same time.

The general idea is that when dial-up connects to the Internet, it generates low frequencies through the telephone line such as the one that the phone uses. However, a broadband connection connects using the same method but with a higher frequency. It also means that you are "permanently" connected to the Internet, unless you turn off the modem. Wikipedia offers two articles about dial-up and DSL connections.

You said you could not download from the Microsoft Site. Was that Automatic Updates or the site itself? Do you have a friend or acquaintance who has a fast connection? You can drag-and-drop the .exe file of IE6 to a flash drive (USB) and then execute it on your home computer. If not the least you can do it burn it to a blank disc.
--

Microsoft Works Suite gives me a message to Exit but strange it allows me to install just the Word Program but distorted.

It is MS Office? Not Works? I use Works, not MS Word.
--
To be honest, with you I'm stumped about the Epson driver. Is it still supported?

Usually, .exe files or the install files from a disc/CD will allow you to choose where to install the program files, it is usually in Advanced Mode of the installation.

Take WinPatrol for example:
C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol

The C drive would be C:\ not C:/.

Apadana
2008-08-01, 05:12
To be honest with you Apadana, I'm stumped too. The main difference between a dial-up connection and a DSL connection (high-speed) would be the upload/download speeds. A major disadvantage of dial-up connection is that it uses the home telephone line. So it's either one way or another; talk on the phone or connect to the Internet. If another person attempts to call your phone while you're on the Internet, the call would be unsuccessful. Compared to a DSL connection, you can both call and surf at the same time.

The general idea is that when dial-up connects to the Internet, it generates low frequencies through the telephone line such as the one that the phone uses. However, a broadband connection connects using the same method but with a higher frequency. It also means that you are "permanently" connected to the Internet, unless you turn off the modem. Wikipedia offers two articles about dial-up and DSL connections.

You said you could not download from the Microsoft Site. Was that Automatic Updates or the site itself? Do you have a friend or acquaintance who has a fast connection? You can drag-and-drop the .exe file of IE6 to a flash drive (USB) and then execute it on your home computer. If not the least you can do it burn it to a blank disc.
--

It is MS Office? Not Works? I use Works, not MS Word.
--
To be honest, with you I'm stumped about the Epson driver. Is it still supported?

Usually, .exe files or the install files from a disc/CD will allow you to choose where to install the program files, it is usually in Advanced Mode of the installation.

I was able to download the Internet Explorer 6 (ie6setup) but won't allow me to install it completely. I was able to install Internet Explorer 6 successfully but lost it when I reinstalled Microsoft Professional. Someone said that it might be a RAM problem that all these programs are installing in (C:\).

Thanks for trying...
Apadana

drragostea
2008-08-01, 05:27
Could this be a space problem? So do you mean that you had IE6 prior to reinstalling Windows Profession 2000?

How did you 'reinstall' it? Did someone else do it for you? Was there recovery discs that came with the computer?

Apadana
2008-08-01, 05:55
Could this be a space problem? So do you mean that you had IE6 prior to reinstalling Windows Profession 2000?

How did you 'reinstall' it? Did someone else do it for you? Was there recovery discs that came with the computer?

My dear,

I was able to install Internet Explorer 6 right from Microsoft's website and not by a CD- CD is no longer available for IE6. After I reinstalled Microsoft 2000 it reverted back to IE5 and it won't allow me to reinstall IE6. It is a space problem because evidently all my programs for some reason are going to (C:/); even says to make more space.

I wonder why Mozilla was able to install in Programs but Google is in (C:/).

Oh, well...
Apadana

drragostea
2008-08-01, 22:40
When you "reinstall" the OS, it is more like a reformat so it reverts everything back to factory settings. Say like you have the IE 6 update in 2002 (just for example, not for real), but the computer was purchased and came with IE5. So "reinstalling" would bring everything back to when the computer was purchased. If you want a general idea about the disk space left (in %) then open the 'Disk Defragmenter' in Accessories.

I do not know the drive capacity of your system, nor do I know what else is installed (besides the updates, browsers, and MS Word). The Service Pack will probably take up some hundreds of MB.

I don't think I can assist you any further on your problem (unable to install IE6 and Epson driver) because this thread is no going anywhere.

If it is possible then another member can step up and you'll respond to them Apadana.
--

Apadana
2008-08-02, 03:15
When you "reinstall" the OS, it is more like a reformat so it reverts everything back to factory settings. Say like you have the IE 6 update in 2002 (just for example, not for real), but the computer was purchased and came with IE5. So "reinstalling" would bring everything back to when the computer was purchased. If you want a general idea about the disk space left (in %) then open the 'Disk Defragmenter' in Accessories.

I do not know the drive capacity of your system, nor do I know what else is installed (besides the updates, browsers, and MS Word). The Service Pack will probably take up some hundreds of MB.

I don't think I can assist you any further on your problem (unable to install IE6 and Epson driver) because this thread is no going anywhere.

If it is possible then another member can step up and you'll respond to them Apadana.
--

Dear drragostea,

Thank you for your time and help with this.

Apadana

drragostea
2008-08-02, 03:55
I hope my explanations and advice do good.

Whether you choose to follow them or not is up to you.