PDA

View Full Version : System Restore & WUndows update down!

MaxHeadroom
2008-08-04, 18:29
Yikes!

The system restore has been corrupted (only has the same day as a restore point), windows update won't work (loads of error codes) and it won't let me turn on auto updates.

Is this a new one?

I'm bungling my way through trying to sort it out so this is not an offical help request.:oops:

Max

drragostea
2008-08-05, 00:45
Perhaps this thread might help?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31930
--

Are you having any malware problems? Some spyware may purposely disable System Restore.

MaxHeadroom
2008-08-05, 01:45
Perhaps this thread might help?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31930
--

Are you having any malware problems? Some spyware may purposely disable System Restore.

Spybot and AVG 8 consistently reported Trojan attracts. I'd clean them off and they would reappear.

I’ve spent the last two days trying to sort it out. I’ve now read the stuff on here and realised I’ve done everything wrong. Saying this, I now have cleared the update problem and I no longer get virus attack alerts. All I’m left with is a “cannot access memory at xx.xxxxxx.xxx” box and a “shut it down” option.

I used Spybot to disable some BHO’s and then dumped the restore files.

PS Spybot has saved my life more than once. I was so gob-smacked I’ve even sent money!

Keep it up guys.

drragostea
2008-08-05, 02:23
Why don't you double check, and visit the Malware Forums. Post a new thread with a HiJack This Log. This gives you the best chance of consulting a Malware Fighter and purging the leftover bits and pieces of malware [possibly] still on your computer.

I hope that when a Malware Fighter helps you remove the malware, so goes along with it the error message.

MaxHeadroom
2008-08-05, 02:33
Why don't you double check, and visit the Malware Forums. Post a new thread with a HiJack This Log. This gives you the best chance of consulting a Malware Fighter and purging the leftover bits and pieces of malware [possibly] still on your computer.

I hope that when a Malware Fighter helps you remove the malware, so goes along with it the error message.

You are right, of course. I should submit and apply for assistance. I’ll think about it...

drragostea
2008-08-05, 02:43
To be honest with you Max, I'm so sure what may be causing this problem. I mean disabling System Restore is one thing, but disabling both System Restore and Windows Update is a combo you don't usually see.

What I can tell you is that no one software/program is invincible and is not foolproof or bulletproof. And I can tell you that AVG and Spybot-SD may not catch all the spyware on your computer. You may have one tool which catches this amount and another security program which caught the entries that the previous tool missed.

You'll do fine in the Malware Forums.

MaxHeadroom
2008-08-05, 03:15
[FONT="Tahoma"]To be honest with you Max, I'm so sure what may be causing this problem. I mean disabling System Restore is one thing, but disabling both System Restore and Windows Update is a combo you don't usually see.

FONT]

This is what I thought. Having both go down, even to my limited knowledge, seemed a bit odd. The restore problem happened a while ago and I just ignored it. When the update issue kicked off I started to get worried. I've read that you can't get a "locus" virus in the restore files but...maybe you can. I tried re-applying auto update but it wouldn’t let me. I’ve now got it working and updated to SP3.

I will go and post to the Malware forum. I think this needs more thought than I think I can give it. I give up, basically.

drragostea
2008-08-05, 03:34
Not sure what you mean by the 'locus' virus, but it is possible that you can have a "infected" restore file. Can you restore back a few days ago? If not then, I'm assuming you 'dumped' them in your previous posts.

Does Spybot-SD report anything?

MaxHeadroom
2008-08-05, 03:55
Not sure what you mean by the 'locus' virus, but it is possible that you can have a "infected" restore file. Can you restore back a few days ago? If not then, I'm assuming you 'dumped' them in your previous posts.

Does Spybot-SD report anything?

The "locus" thing was something I read about on another forum. I could not restore at all. The restore calendar only had the one restore point i.e. the current day. All the other restore points had been wiped. After I disabled restore AGV stopped reporting "virus detected on startup". I assumed that the restore system monitor was kicking off a virus file, and when I wiped the restore files by disabling restore I got rid of the virus.

Maybe?

PS Spybot reported several trojans and loads of tracking cookies. Cleaned them and then they would return.

drragostea
2008-08-05, 04:21
The Virtumonde trojan?

Now you said that it comes back after return, you should definitely, start a thread in the Malware Forums.

MaxHeadroom
2008-08-06, 00:55
The Virtumonde trojan?

Now you said that it comes back after return, you should definitely, start a thread in the Malware Forums.

It came back today!!!

Yikes!

Right, I'm going to read the stickies and post on that forum.

drragostea
2008-08-06, 01:51
I guessed right :sad:. Virtumonde can bombard your desktop with pop-ups & ads. Who knows what's included?

Now you confirmed it... you seriously have to get it cleaned it : P.

My guess was Virtumonde because it keeps "coming" back. SmitFraud would be persistent to remove because Spybot-SD cannot remove the entry while it is in use.

See how it goes Max.

tashi
2008-08-06, 02:08
Hello MaxHeadroom,

If you start a topic in the malware forum please make sure you include a link back to this thread.

Thank you.