PDA

View Full Version : which AntiVirus is best ??

jaquar001
2008-08-11, 14:02
hello
there are so many antivirus prog around us like, NORTON,KASPERSKY,MACAFFE,AVG,AVAST!
i am using now AVAST pro v 4.8 ,,
but i need suggestion of some expert like you that which antivirus u suggest to be best. i know only Antivirus is not enough to make system secure rather need some antispayware and antimalware but if , then which ??

tashi
2008-08-11, 18:15
Hi there,

These links may be useful in making a decision. :)

Anti Virus Programs (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9289)

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=7683

Best regards.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-11, 18:30
jaquar001:

You may what to look at actual test results comparing antivirus products:
www.av-comparatives.org

XstormX
2008-08-16, 18:20
my favorite 2 is dr.web because it has the lowest resource usage and sophos because it has the best heuristics but you dont wanna use sophos unless you know what you're doing because it produces a high level of false alarms...

drragostea
2008-08-17, 04:07
I haven't tried Sophos Anti-Virus yet, but from it's rumors, it is a pretty decent program.

I wouldn't really lay my money for a program, just because it has low resource usage... but for it's functions and it's potential. It might also depend on the computer resources the user have and can afford. If you have a program that uses roughly 100MB of memory, that wouldn't be a problem for a 1 GB of RAM user, but for a 512MB it can get rough.

carinio98
2008-08-19, 22:47
for me i choose panda software and avast... panda software are good in house calls... and avast can detect virus when you scan you drive manually but avast eats a lot of memory than spybot... so i shift to spybot... i only using win98se running in 1.5ghz cpu with 128mb of ram... thats slow and old for all of you here i guess....

ght1
2008-08-20, 19:46
AVG 8.0 Free:

- Anti-Virus
- Anti-Spyware
- Link-Scanner

:bigthumb:

blues
2008-08-20, 20:11
i like avast best. antivir couldnt update all the times and avg slowed down browsing with its toolbar or what it is called.

avast also has "anti-spyware protection", "anti-rootkit protection" and "self-defense"
some features avast has that not all the other antiviruses has is "antivirus screen-saver" and "boot-time scan"

i am talking about the free versions here.

ght1
2008-08-20, 20:39
Avast has good functions, but it looks messy ...

If you want to spend some money you could take NOD32 :cowboy:

blues
2008-08-20, 20:52
avg missed some trojans that antivir found afterwards, but almost all of the antiviruses avg, antivir and avast finds things the others dont. i will never use avg anymore i think.

i didnt like nod32 it was confusing, but i have heard that it is good.

drragostea
2008-08-20, 21:44
NOD32 is alright. AVG 8.0 does not slow down browsing, if that's what you mean, if you just simply disable the "LinkScanner" add-on.

I don't really categorize programs just because on what some find and some don't.

blues
2008-08-21, 15:44
AVG 8.0 does not slow down browsing, if that's what you mean, if you just simply disable the "LinkScanner" add-on.

i know what you are saying, it was faster when disabling linkscanner.

i have just changed from avast to antivir to see if the updates has improved. i will just stay away from third party firewalls and security suites as they almost always slow down my computer.

drragostea
2008-08-21, 16:53
Haha, yep. I avoid security suites too, as they not only "bloat" your computer... it also kinda promotes a sense of 'paranoia' from some suites. I won't name any.

blues, are you still using SiteAdvisor? Well, now I'm not if it's acting up or not... the ratings are below the site itself. Anyone experienced that??

blues
2008-08-21, 17:05
i have almost never used siteadvisor and i have also stopped using this hostsfiles (see the tinyurl thread about that)

the ratings are below the site itself.

what do you mean?

what if you visit a site that is certified green and get infected? i would have been mad. that is one of the reasons i dont use it, green checkmarks:yuck: what if a site is just newly hacked.

drragostea
2008-08-21, 17:13
Woops. Forget it. I thought you were 129260.

I'll post something relevant to the thread next time.

And no, blues (to your question).

blues
2008-08-21, 17:26
Woops. Forget it. I thought you were 129260.

strange because you said blues:
blues, are you still using SiteAdvisor?

drragostea
2008-08-21, 17:28
I edited out my third to last post.

kahlmyishmael
2008-08-21, 21:25
The Dark Knight from Lockergnome recommends SpyWare Terminator with CLAM AV.

Is that a good choice or should I switch to something else?

blues
2008-08-21, 21:32
The Dark Knight from Lockergnome recommends SpyWare Terminator with CLAM AV.

Is that a good choice or should I switch to something else?

spywareterminator has some features like immunize and i also think i remember it has hips. personally i dont trust spywareterminator. i dont know if "clam av" is any good as i have never tried it.

kahlmyishmael
2008-08-23, 15:31
spywareterminator has some features like immunize and i also think i remember it has hips. personally i dont trust spywareterminator. i dont know if "clam av" is any good as i have never tried it.

Thanks for the reply, old chum--- I disable SpyWare Terminator before I run SpyBot Search & Destroy as it blocks one file from being scanned.

honda12
2008-08-26, 03:10
Spyware Terminator is good, and Clam-AV is good portable antivirus, but i don't recommend it as a primary antivirus because there are other AVs out there that have better detection rates

blues
2008-08-30, 19:35
Haha, yep. I avoid security suites too, as they not only "bloat" your computer... it also kinda promotes a sense of 'paranoia' from some suites. I won't name any.

blues, are you still using SiteAdvisor? Well, now I'm not if it's acting up or not... the ratings are below the site itself. Anyone experienced that??

i installed siteadvisor now because something that was not so good happened so i decided to harden my security, and you are right the ratings are below the sites.

drragostea
2008-08-31, 03:12
What happened?

Well, McAfee SiteAdvisor seems to working. The ratings are next to the results. So it's normal.

blues
2008-08-31, 06:27
there has been a flash exploit in an banner on the norwegian msn site, i was reading an article about it and decided to look up info on one of the sites serving the exploit and visited it (stupid i know) and then antivir detected the flash exploit. if i havent had the latest flash then i think i would have got vundo if i understand it right. there was also a virus warning from antivir on another page on msn.

i have not scanned my computer yet.

drragostea
2008-08-31, 17:28
Oof. Not good. AntiVir should serve you now.

I was thinking about using AVG 8.0 in the future on a new PC, or upgrade to a robust NOD32.

blues
2008-08-31, 17:46
why avg? i tried it today, but when searching with google i got a message from google that my behavior seemed like spyware or virus. the avg toolbar was off because i used siteadvisor. the avg toolbar showed green ratings on sites that siteadvisor showed red... and that was many. i did searches on warez and screensavers just to test them.

the problem with google disappeared when uninstalling avg, strange since i didnt use the avg toolbar other than when i was testing siteadvisor and avg toolbar.

i changed to avast instead, antivir doesnt update itself all days to me.

ght1
2008-09-05, 20:56
the avg toolbar showed green ratings on sites that siteadvisor showed red.

the avg toolbar detects bad scripts, siteadvisor is just based on user ratings :cowboy:

blues
2008-09-05, 21:23
bad scripts? i thought the free avg only had ratings and the paid one exploit detection and ratings. user ratings is also good, people can help eachother. but i dont like the ratings, it is annoying to see green, yellow and red colours all the place when searching.

the best protection would be to turn off scripting, java, flash and such and not rely on a toolbar to do all the work because a green rating may be wrong some times and it should have been red, i have seen it.

warez sites that are green... i dont think they should be green, i always avoid them and it is best to do that, some sites are changing all the time and may be malicious before you know it.

monkeys
2008-09-05, 21:47
Does AVG still detect registry entries from Spybot's immunize feature? That's one of the main reasons I stopped using it. I'm still trying to decide on which free AV to use. Probably going to use Avira Antivir.

blues
2008-09-05, 22:02
i didnt see that avg detected the spybot immunize the last time i used it, it was days or weeks ago i dont remember.

ght1
2008-09-09, 19:25
Does AVG still detect registry entries from Spybot's immunize feature?

No :cowboy: