PDA

View Full Version : Forum Etiquette for these forums needs to be addresed

2008-08-11, 23:56
After md spybot fan's suggestion, http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=222282&postcount=8
(I am really sorry by the way md spybot fan, I did not mean to hijack your thread...)
I agree and think we need some guidelines that apply to every forum on here.

Such as:

1.) No flaming

2.) No bumping other threads, 1 problem per thread. None of this: Posting and saying I have that problem too! If someone has the same issue, they can watch the thread progress, and if its solves there issues, fine. if not post a new thread. :)
(this of course does not apply to threads such as the beta teatimer thread in the spybot beta forum, as we need feedback on how the beta is doing.)

3.) A official suggestions thread i think needs to be made for suggestions on how to improve spybot. So users do not get confused (like i did) and post in a thread that md spybot fan had that was misunderstood as a suggestion thread.

I now know there is one now in the spybot beta forum (at the top), but it does not make sense to me why it is in the beta forum instead of having its own place?

4.) Also, why are "guests" allowed to view other users malware threads in the malware removal forum? I think they should only be able to view the sticky's. Because that stops other users from following what looks like there problem, and they try the fixes that are offered when they would not necessary be right for there machine/and or problem. Just because malware looks the same, does not mean the solution is.

so ya, thats what i have so far..........any more ideas?

blues
2008-08-12, 01:04
i hope it still will be allowed to go offtopic in the tavern.

i have hijacked threads in the spybot forum without knowing what i was doing. i cant promise that i will not do it again, because i may forget.

drragostea
2008-08-12, 01:20
129260, you couldn't have said it better.

What matters is the members who actually read this thread. If members were (it would be a good thing), then there wouldn't be mis-placed HiJack This logs in other Sub-Forums.

It's not your fault. It's human nature. We all make mistakes. And that is what makes out moral. What we can do is prevent this from occurring in the future.

tashi
2008-08-12, 01:28
i hope it still will be allowed to go offtopic in the tavern.

i have hijacked threads in the spybot forum without knowing what i was doing. i cant promise that i will not do it again, because i may forget.

Unfortunately a few members have been posting in the Spybot-S&D support forum as if they were posting in the Tavern.

This has caused Hijacked threads which makes it increasingly difficult for the Team, Spybot Advisors, and other members to find the original question.

In future rather than do more faqs, more stickies, more rules, if I find tavern-like posts that are hijacking a topic I will move them. into a general 'whatever' sticky topic in the tavern.

Of course that creates extra work, so it would be much nicer if people did as md usa spybot fan suggested:
Please exhibit a little forum etiquette.Thank you in advance. ;)

2008-08-12, 02:24
ya, hopefully i won't make my error again. :)

tashi
2008-08-12, 06:06
1.) No flaming
No flaming is normal forum etiquette, I doubt any trolls would listen up. :p:

I now know there is one now in the spybot beta forum (at the top), but it does not make sense to me why it is in the beta forum instead of having its own place?

Because viable suggestions would be tested before being implemented into a new version/upgrade.

Introduction to beta-testing (how you can help)... (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18103)

4.) Also, why are "guests" allowed to view other users malware threads in the malware removal forum? I think they should only be able to view the sticky's.
That is not feasible for many reasons.

Because that stops other users from following what looks like there problem, and they try the fixes that are offered when they would not necessary be right for there machine/and or problem. Just because malware looks the same, does not mean the solution is

There are many HJT forums so no it wouldn't stop them, anymore than one can prevent countless users from practicing unsafe surfing.

:)

2008-08-12, 06:11
I see your points there. They make sense. Thanks for answering them tashi :)

tashi
2008-08-22, 20:53
Unfortunately a few members have been posting in the Spybot-S&D support forum as if they were posting in the Tavern.

This has caused Hijacked threads which makes it increasingly difficult for the Team, Spybot Advisors, and other members to find the original question.

Case in point: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=226691#post226691

blues
2008-08-22, 21:10
the point was that nobody belived me when i said that tinyurl was in the spybot hostsfile and Yodama didnt confirm that it was in the spybot hostsfile. if everybody have updated spybot on their computer then it would not have been a discussion. i just wondered why this forums linked to a site that was blocked by spybot itself, but it is solved anyway now. i was made to look like a liar when i said that tinyurl was in spybots hostsfile and nobody belived me that it was in the hostsfile.

tashi
2008-08-22, 21:13
Then post your responses in the Tavern with a link to the thread in question.

Thank you in advance.

confirmed as a false positive,
will be corrected soon

drragostea
2008-08-23, 05:39
They thought long and hard on this one. And so should we.

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html
--

blues
2008-09-20, 14:55
why not have a forum called "forum suggestions"? i have a suggestion. should i tell it?