PDA

View Full Version : AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

sootired
2006-03-26, 22:39
I have rebooted and run all of my virus & spyware tools several times now.
1) AOL Spyware
2) SpyBot
3) Adaware
4) McAfee Virus
5) McAfee Spyware

Everything comes back clean except SpyBot which keeps finding the same two things:

Windows Security Center.AntivirusDisableNotify
Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0[/INDENT]

Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Both are listed as "Registry Changes" by SpyBot which supposedly fixes the problem when I hit "Fix Problems" but after a reboot and rerun they come back again.

I have been a SpyBot user for over a year and these two problem messages are new - within the last month. It seems to me that their appearance indicates some "change-of-state" on my machine.

I know this sounds bad but I am unsure if I even have a MS Windows Firewall. I have not purchased anything additional from MS, so i would only have what came loaded - so maybe yes, maybe no - I know I must be an idiot!

I do have McAfee but NOT thier firewall tool

How can I check to see if I have windows firewall available?
How do I resolve the two problems above?

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-27, 00:03
If you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window.

There are three possible alerts:
Firewall
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
Automatic Updates
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
Virus Protection
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings

I believe that you will find that the first and third items are unchecked.

When you installed McAfee SecurityCenter, you probably chose it as the default Security Center. When you do that McAfee SecurityCenter turns off these alerts in the Windows Security Center. If you reset the alerts, McAfee SecurityCenter will turn them off again when you re-boot the system as long as it is the default Security Center.

While you are in the Windows Security Center, click on "Windows Firewall" It will tell you if the firewall is active.

Please note that the Windows firewall is not secure as others because it only prevents incoming threats not outgoing. Consider using another firewall. See a list of some free firewalls here:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

sootired
2006-03-27, 02:28
You were correct about the security alert config's and the Firewall is working. I will look into getting a new one - thanks for the info.

So, does this mean that the SpyBot "problems" are not really probelms?

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-27, 07:51
So, does this mean that the SpyBot "problems" are not really probelms?
That depends on how you look at it. The reason that you are getting the detections is because you chose McAfee SecurityCenter as the default Security Center, so you are now aware of the reason for the detections. However, Window Security Center will no longer alert you if either your anti-virus or firewall are not running or out of date, you must depend on the McAfee SecurityCenter to provide that notification.