PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Stops responding!!!

drf106
2006-03-27, 02:17
I have all the new Spybot updates downloaded. Everytime I press "check for problems" the scan will run for a variable amount of time, then it will freeze and stop responding. The freeze never stops at the same point in the scan. I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling but that does not work.

Zenobia
2006-03-27, 05:30
What version of Spybot do you have installed?
If you're not sure,you can see by opening Spybot,click Help,then About.

drf106
2006-03-31, 08:53
I have version 1.4.

Zenobia
2006-03-31, 09:53
Do you know if your computer uses hyper-threading technology?

drf106
2006-03-31, 20:19
I have no idea. Sorry.

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-31, 20:47
How to tell if your system has a processor with HyperThreading Technology (HTT):
Right click on an empty area of your Task Bar
Select "Task Manager"
When the Windows Task Manager loads, click the "Performance" tab
In the "CPU Usage History" section of the display, is there one graph or two side-by-side graphs?
One graph indicates no HyperThreading. Two side-by-side graphs indicate that your CPU has HyperThreading Technology.

hospital porter
2006-04-02, 13:52
I too have this problem, I am running P4 3.0ghz with hyperthreading, does this make a difference? the last processor I had was P4 with hyperthreadind and I never had the problem of Spybot freezing.

Zenobia
2006-04-02, 20:16
Please see this post:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=390&postcount=4

hospital porter
2006-04-02, 21:51
Cheers Zenobia, done as you suggested and Spybot run without any problems. Must be a problem with only some hyperthreading processors, my last one run Spybot OK.
Would the same fix work when running Google Earth? this too 'freezes' when I try to run it on the same computer.
Thanks again.

bitman
2006-04-02, 22:18
It's more likely a problem with your Motherboard/BIOS, since the processors are produced exactly the same. In fact, I believe the problem might occur on any combination of hardware, it simply depends on whether the Spybot Search & Destroy program starts on the first processor by default or not.

I don't have an HTT system myself to test this, but it would simply require using the steps in the post referenced by Zenobia above; first forcing Spybot to run on processor 0, which should always work and then forcing it to run on processor 1, which may or may not hang on all HTT systems.

drf106
2006-04-02, 22:59
Yes I do have HTT. I did follow Zenobia's link and this fixed my problem! Thank you so much I appreciate it. Such a simple solution to the problem, but one I would have never thought of. Thanks again!