PDA

View Full Version : Spybot not running on restart - Win2K

jengrana
2006-03-27, 19:44
I'm running Spybot on an older machine running Win2k (128 MB RAM, if that's at all applicable). It's seeing a few entries - DSO Exploit, Alexa, and ISTBar.Splotch, and asking to run on system startup to remove these. The problem is that I'm not seeing it run at all, either after a cold startup or reboot.

The machine I'm trying to clean up is a work computer where I don't have administrator access. Is this possibly why it's not running - because I'm asking it to run and I'm not an admin?

If it's applicable at all, I've also run Ad-Aware on the machine with the most recent definition files and had it remove all that it can. Symantec AntiVirus is also installed on the machine, with the most recent definitions. I'm running a full scan while I type this; so far that's come up clean.

If need be I'll call up my company's IT folks and have them see what they can do, but if I can solve the spyware problem on my own, I'd rather, as it often takes days/weeks for them to come out. Thanks!

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-27, 20:01
If you are getting DSO Exploit then you are running an old version of Spybot and/or the version that you have has not been updated in a while.

Go into Spybot > Help > About. What version are you running and what is the date of the latest detection updates?

Should read:
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
Latest detection update: 2006-03-24

jengrana
2006-03-27, 20:18
If you are getting DSO Exploit then you are running an old version of Spybot and/or the version that you have has not been updated in a while.

Go into Spybot > Help > About. What version are you running and what is the date of the latest detection updates?

Should read:
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
Latest detection update: 2006-03-24

Thanks - I thought I'd updated it when I was updating everything else. I'll download the latest version and run again. :)