PDA

View Full Version : Comp Security

Mooter
2008-08-22, 20:55
Hi everyone :),

I recently got a fairly nasty spyware (Antivirus XP) and my Trend Internet Security failed to ever find it, so anyways i had installed yours and voila! gone i find that when running spyware scans you trend does not keep it at all.

So i plan on uninstalling it (it also slows stuff down).

i was just curious to ask i plan on installing:

Avast!
Comodo Firewall

and i have Spybot S&D already installed. would this be all i need? or is there something i can remove?

Thanks.

blues
2008-08-22, 21:04
if you use the hips in comodo firewall it will protect you from many threats, avast is good it also detects spyware. if you will block more ads and sites that install malware then i will recommend mvps hosts file. spywareblaster is also one that works like the spybot immunize.

Mooter
2008-08-22, 21:06
So in your opinion everything is Ok to start removing trend?

drragostea
2008-08-22, 21:10
Hello, Mooter (aka. Batman :laugh).

What I can tell you is that it's always good to have a firewall and anti-virus program to actively protect and defend you against the malicious malware and viral infections in the web.

Comodo Pro Firewall is a reputable and decent firewall, and it offers HIPS (Hosts Intrusion Prevention), so I have to say it's a pretty robust firewall in the Internet.

avast! anti-virus and also a reputable program and offers good protection. Although some users found it's GUI to be quite confusing :clown:.

You can read these threads:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16242
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18603

Edit: blues was typing when I did, so I didn't see his reply.

Mooter, I would suggest you use Trend Micro IS to it's fullest potential, this also means using it until the subscription expires... unless you are really sick of using that program, you can move to using another one.

However, whether to move or not totally depends on the user's motives and decide whether the program suites their PC well, so it does not cause conflicts and runs smoothly.

blues
2008-08-22, 21:15
just continue with trend, i have not heard that it is not good, but most of them finds different things.

Mooter
2008-08-22, 21:32
Well i have removed it because the Manufacturer (dell) gives the buyer it Trend for free but it was a 2006 version i believe, anyways it isn't very good in my opinion.

I'm not worried about viruses because i'm fairly internet/comp saavy i just needed the spyware protection and trend couldnt match up to Spybot anyways.

drragostea
2008-08-23, 00:27
If the subscription was free, then it's a whole different story, if you decide if you should dump Trend Micro.

Even with the subscription still active, version 2006 may not be as robust as the latest version on the web today. Not only has the latest version improved scanning, heuristics, and other aspects, newer updates may be incompatible with version 2006. So you get the idea.

Safe surfing.

Requill
2008-08-25, 04:21
I keep a few but i'd remove trend if I were you. I use Charter's version of F-Secure and it has system control which keeps viruses at bay which is pretty nice. I'm going to try that firewall because im using the default windows which probobly isn't the greatest.. haha.

blues
2008-08-25, 06:11
what firewall is best of this ones? sunbelt, zonealarm, comodo and "online armor"

comodo seemed difficult to configure with utorrent, i have read the tutorial at the comodo forums but i have not tried to download torrents when using comodo.

sunbelt was easy to use, "online armor" gave me a black screen after restarting the computer but it seemed it was easy to use but it was alot of questions from the hips when uninstalling programs with "revo uninstaller"

honda12
2008-08-25, 22:49
avast! anti-virus and also a reputable program and offers good protection. Although some users found it's GUI to be quite confusing :clown:.

I hated the avast interface, but the good news is that is you can easily download skins for it from http://avast.com/eng/skins.html

bitman
2008-08-26, 06:43
Seems to me the entire point behind a simple AntiVirus product like Avast is light resource usage, skins and other interface enhancements just cause resource issues.

The entire reason for my use of Avast is to support an old Windows 2000 based PII 400 w/512MB RAM and small drives. If I had greater resources and a more current OS, I'd simply install a suite and forget about it.

Many need to separate what they are doing for security from what they do for fun. Security is about good, simple to understand and effective protection that suits the person(s) using the PC. Pretty screens are for user level applications like media and word processing, where overhead may actually improve the user experience.

The best security products actually have some of the simplest interfaces, whether they are standalone or a suite. The more glitz, the less you can notice what really matters, which is why so many of the third-party suites have failed over the last few years. They aren't all really bad, they just confuse the user into stupid mistakes.

Bitman