PDA

View Full Version : Installed SP3, couple of questions.

monkeys
2008-08-28, 03:50
Just got SP3 on automatic updates and installed, seemed to install fine but I have a couple of questions. First, when I check my update history at Windows Update, it lists Service Pack 3 twice, one of has an X (failed) with a little question mark next to it, the other one a checkmark (success). Does anyone have any idea why it says that? Second, is it normal for SP3 to make startup items load slower? Windows seems to boot up a little faster, but it seems to take a couple of extra seconds to load all my startup items now.

drragostea
2008-08-28, 04:02
Was the question mark clickable? From the 'View History' in Windows Update, it should be clickable... I'm not sure what may have happened that has caused it to show a "failed" update. But the thing is that SP3 was successfully installed.

This might depend on the amount of RAM that is installed on your computer, your processor speed, and the amount of entries (not always; but usually depends on the process/program) in the Startup Manager. You can try this by running msconfig.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_xp#Service_Pack_3
-

monkeys
2008-08-28, 04:46
Oh, the question mark was clickable. Here's what it says when I click on it:

Error Code: 0x8024600A
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting updates)

drragostea
2008-08-28, 05:13
I'm not sure what may have happened that has caused it to show a "failed" update. But the thing is that SP3 was successfully installed.

This might depend on the amount of RAM that is installed on your computer, your processor speed, and the amount of entries (not always; but usually depends on the process/program) in the Startup Manager. You can try this by running msconfig.

Can you tell me the specs. of your Operating System?

bitman
2008-08-28, 06:16
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720442.aspx

0x8024600a
WU_E_DM_DOWNLOADLOCATIONCHANGED
A download must be restarted because the location of the source of the download has changed.

Apparently this was just a download error, so Windows Update simply started over and downloaded the necessary components again.

It's not surprising to have something as complex as a Service Pack fail to automatically update properly on occasion. What is surprising is when it fixes itself, though your's was a simpler issue then most.

Bitman

monkeys
2008-08-28, 16:28
Can you tell me the specs. of your Operating System?

Nvidia 7900 GTX, Core 2 Duo E6700, 2 GB RAM. And it's not like super slow now. It's just that most of my startup items seemed to be loaded before the welcome screen finished. It seems to wait until after the welcome screen to load the startup items now or something.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720442.aspx

0x8024600a
WU_E_DM_DOWNLOADLOCATIONCHANGED
A download must be restarted because the location of the source of the download has changed.

Apparently this was just a download error, so Windows Update simply started over and downloaded the necessary components again.

It's not surprising to have something as complex as a Service Pack fail to automatically update properly on occasion. What is surprising is when it fixes itself, though your's was a simpler issue then most.

Bitman

OK, cool. Doesn't sound like much to worry about then. :)

drragostea
2008-08-28, 20:55
But the thing is that SP3 was successfully installed.

It was probably a download error like bitman said.
Safe surfing.

monkeys
2008-08-28, 23:20
It was probably a download error like bitman said.
Safe surfing.

Thanks. :) Oh, and is there anything new in SP3 I should configure or anything?

drragostea
2008-08-29, 00:37
Basically, as a general idea SP3 is just a cumulative update (both security and performance) updates. Some of the new features can be found in the Wikipedia link in my previous posts.

Some users have commented on that after installing SP3, some programs began using "less" memory and ran a bit "faster". Although, I did not notice any major significant changes, SP3 is well upgrading to ; ).