PDA

View Full Version : PC freezes (sometimes reboots), something stuck in registry or memory?

joemagiera
2006-03-29, 17:04
I am having PC problems (Windows XP home). If I don't connect to the internet, I am fine, my machine will run all day with no problems. But if I do connect to the internet, I have problems. I don't even have to be doing anything, just the fact that I am connected to the internet. My PC will mostly freeze up. Freeze up to the point that I have to shut it off, I can't even do an alt-ctrl-delete. Sometimes it auto-reboots, but 9 times out of 10 it freezes. It usually takes less than an hour to freeze up once I've connected.

I've done extensive virus and spyware checking, and I am pretty clean from that perspective. I updated all the files and ran Mcafee, Spybot, Avast and Ewido. I removed everything identified by each one. I ran them until I got a clean run on each, but my system still freezes up. One time after auto-rebooting, I went through the Windows thing to forward the data of my PC crash to Microsoft. When I did, it came back saying it might be a possible RAM problem. Unfortunately, before I could read or download the rest of the instructions, my PC froze again. I was able to download their boot-up memory checker utility, and it seems to pass this without problems, so I don't think it's a hardware RAM problem (also because I'm fine all day if not internet connected).

I did some seaching on the internet (on another PC) and saw several references to something about stray programs (not necessarily malware) that can get caught in memory or in the registry and cause this situation. I don't think "stray" is my situation because if that were the case, I suspect it would happen whether I was internet connected or not.

Any ideas, clues or advice? Any software you can suggest that could run to try to trap this? Would your registry analyzer be helpful here? Is there any software that can "trap a freeze" so to speak? Could this be some form of malware that isn't recognized by normal checking?

Joe
joemagiera@ameritech.net