PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Spybot S&D detect sdbot

Barbedone
2006-03-30, 23:44
:scratch: As advised by Computeractive, I recently downloaded some extra anti-spyware software onto my PC.

I had been running happily with Norton Firewall and Antivirus software as well as Lavasoft Adaware and Windows Anti-spyware. All of these, including Spybot S&D give my PC a clean bill of health. I keep them all updated and scan with them frequently.

However, today I downloaded Webroot Spy Sweeper which offers a free scan but needless to say, having scared the wits out of me by detecting sdbot, it then wants payment before removing the problem.

I'm a little sceptical about this, especially as none of the other packages have detected it.

Can anyone tell me why Spybot and the others didn't detect it? Is it as bad as it sounds?

tashi
2006-03-30, 23:54
Hello.

Can anyone tell me why Spybot and the others didn't detect it?

Depends if you actually have it, can we see a log please.

Open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available.
Close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found in red
Then on the toolbar menu select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report, ensure all the options are selected near the bottom except

Uncheck[ ] do not report disabled or known legitimate Items.
uncheck[ ] Include a list of services in report.
Uncheck[ ] Include uninstall list in report.

Now select (near the top) view report.
Press export in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button; navigate to and attach or post that report.

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-31, 00:04
Also, if you have a log of the Webroot Spy Sweeper detections, that would be helpful.

Barbedone
2006-03-31, 00:39
Sorry not certain whether I've done this properly. I've tried to attach the Spybot report.

There is no report with Webroot without subscription.

tashi
2006-03-31, 06:51
Perhaps WebRoot Spy Sweeper has a false positive.

I asked a helper to take a look at the Spybot-S&D log as I was not seeing anything and he confirmed. :)

Barbedone
2006-03-31, 10:35
Thanks for the info. I too suspect that there is nothing really wrong. My PC generally runs very well although it has been a little less stable in recent weeks but I put that down to the fact that it is so full of rubbish that it needs a springclean.

I've also been receiving a lot of e-mails lately from unknown people generally about the same thing - shares. I've taken the appropriate action and set up Outlook so that it doesn't automatically open the e-mail and installed spamfighter etc but I suppose this made me a bit nervous.

I've bought a large external hard drive so that I can back up all my data which will now give me a chance to wipe the main drives.

Thanks again for your help.

tashi
2006-04-02, 21:45
You are welcome, have a great week. :)

Skunk
2006-04-16, 10:09
I've had a similar problem on my system.

I installed and ran SPY SWEEPER...............yikes ! Screen lit up like a Xmas tree within a few seconds. Lots of red bad writing everywhere.:mad:

Oh dear - since the majority (98%) were cookies. I went and flushed the cookie jar out (deleted everything). I also had 'sdbot' listed, along with 'sc-keylog' still on the system.:confused:

So I went and sussed out a bit about 'sc-keylog' and ended up here:
http://www.pestpatrol.com/pest_info/Stomp/s/sc-keylog.asp

I searched the computer for all the things like kl.dl,sc-keylog2,sc-kl and came up with zilch.

I then ran SPY SWEEPER again and it listed not only the cookies again, but also the keylogger and trojan. Sheeks !!!

A friend of mine said "Why aren't you using SPYBOT?". I replied with "Who Bot"?. He said "SPY BOT".

I downloaded and ran SPYBOT - it detected none of the nasty stuff SPY SWEEPER mentioned - and continued to mention. :scratch: Thus SPY SWEEPER got the boot and SPY BOT got its space on the computer. I'll see how it runs for awhile, and then I'll be off to Donate........ :D

I would be interested in what SPY SWEEPER detected on a computer that just had XP installed and had done bugger all net surfing.

Smell u later.
SkUnK