PDA

View Full Version : Tracking virtumond and others come from..

Jayded84
2008-09-04, 04:37
If the virus' and malware/spyware etc can track our computers, could we not find out who is sending it out? It is so frustrating how much money is paid for these machines, yet they keep getting infected even if precautions are taken.
It makes me crazy and am wondering other's, hopefully more experienced ones can explain if it is possible,
that would rock
thank you

blues
2008-09-06, 14:06
years ago i got malware installed automatically when visiting some websites even when i didnt click on anything and i did not get questions about installing something either, only some times. i didnt know anything about windows updates and they were turned off by default on my computer, the windows firewall was also turned off by default. the only thing i have heard about before getting my computer was antivirus, viruses and firewall. i never heard about spyware at that time either. i was also visiting warez sites. i installed kazaa at a later time and got even more malware from there. i also downloaded infected freeware and some shareware. the first strange thing i saw on my computer was something called gain, (i think it means "gator advertising intelligence network") gain is adware/spyware.

i visited a site called spywareinfo, and took their recommendations. i set internet explorers internet zone to high and only allowed file downloads (doing that gives you good protection). i turned on windows firewall and visited windows update everyday after seeing their recommendations. i already had avg but changed to antivir because it didnt use so much memory as avg and it was better than avg to detect viruses that was on websites (i dont know how that is now). i installed spywareblaster, ad-aware, spybot and used mvps hosts and learned how to use hijackthis, and i removed a chinese toolbar (that was automatically installed by a website) with hijackthis. i didnt get so much malware after following spywareinfos recommendations, almost nothing.

so this is just a story how malware got into my computer. even today malware can get automatically installed so it is not always users fault that they get infected. even trusted and safe sites can get hacked and turned into malware hell in no time.

i dont really understand what you are asking about but i tried to understand your question.
dont feel that it is always your fault if you get malware;)
but keep everything on your computer updated.

i used a long time on this post so i hope this information is usefull to you:)

blues
2008-09-06, 16:50
Tracking virtumond and others come from

i didnt understand your question it seems:oops:

i thought you were asking how people get infected.

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-06, 17:46
Jayded84:

Tom.K (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=9612) started the following thread (poll), but it didn't yield much information although twenty (20) people reported being infected:
Have you been infected with Virtumonde?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30349