PDA

View Full Version : Spybot S&D Freezes after scanning

onewerld
2006-04-02, 08:34
I am running Windows XP SP2. Until the past 2 days, Spybot S&D ran well but now after scanning the total of all files it lists, the program freezes and I have to use Cntrl Alt Delete to get going again. I tried downloading any updates but that did not help. I have not as yet tried uninstalling and reloading the program as I would like to keep the present set up.

hospital porter
2006-04-02, 13:46
Hi onewerld, I have the same problem as you have, I have tried uninstalling and re-installing 3 times, still got problem. I run Spybot on my other desktop and a laptop from the same router without any problems, so, if anyone can help us, thankyou in advance.

spybotsandra
2006-04-03, 10:33
Hello,

In case you are using a dated version of Spybot-S&D, as a first solution, please download the latest version Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4. This should fix the problem. You will find links to several download locations for this new version on our web site:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
Please search for new updates after installing Spybot S&D 1.4.

If this doesn't help please delete the contents of your Windows temp folder and try it again: For that purpose, please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Tools" --> "Secure Shredder" from the navigation bar on the left. There select "Add files from temp folder" from the drop down menu on the top (hit the small arrow next to templates). Then "Chop it away!"

You can also try the following:
- select "Settings" --> "Settings" in the navigation bar on the left and untick the checkbox in front of "display confirmation dialogs"
- exit Spybot-S&D so the settings are saved
- run Spybot-S&D and "Check for problems" again

Expect it to run slowly, it appears to hang. Please be patient - it should clear with the problems fixed.

If it still doesn't work please select "Settings" --> "Settings" from the toolbar on the left. In the section "Main settings" please untick the checkbox in front of "Create system restore point when fixing spyware/usage tracks".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Ready2Rock
2006-11-15, 08:42
Same prob., always freeze's at end of scan, but when I click stop scan, I get a message that says "The specified device is not open or is not recognized by MCI", and then I have to end task throgh the task manager to close the program.

I've uninstalled, re-installed, and I've followed all the above troubleshooting steps that Sandra posted, as well as waited for over an hour to see if it was just being slow.

Tech details: 2.8 ghz celeron d, fully updated win xp home ed., and fully updated norton av.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Rich