PDA

View Full Version : Problems after removing a startup entry

FridayChild
2006-04-06, 09:05
I have Spybot Resident running.
Previously I had the Ahead InCD application installed; I decided I didn't need it anymore and uninstalled it.
At the first reboot, Spybot popped up saying that InCD.exe had been removed from the system startup global entry, and asked me for confirmation.
I clicked on YES and I told Spybot to remember this decision.
Now every time I start up Windows, Spybot briefly pops up saying that the modification has been allowed. :mad:
It's like Spybot is eliminating that entry every time Windows starts.
How do I tell it to permanently aknowledge that InCD has been removed? :scratch:

PS: anyway, at least on my system, the "Yes, allow" and "No, disallow" buttons in the popup screen are not entirely visible; they fall below the bottom line of the window and the window is not resizable. :rolleyes:

Zenobia
2006-04-06, 09:16
Rightclick teatimer,then select settings.
A window should pop-up with Allowed processes,Blocked Processes,Allowed Registry Changes,Blocked Registry Changes across the top.
Look for the InCd.exe entry In Allowed Registry Changes and Blocked Registry Changes(should be in one or the other),then if you find it click the X on the right to remove it,then click okay.

Zenobia
2006-04-06, 09:23
re:tea timer

Please see here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=17683&postcount=2

If you have Zone Alarm Pro,read this:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=3334&highlight=teatimer

FridayChild
2006-04-06, 16:22
Rightclick teatimer,then select settings.
A window should pop-up with Allowed processes,Blocked Processes,Allowed Registry Changes,Blocked Registry Changes across the top.
Look for the InCd.exe entry In Allowed Registry Changes and Blocked Registry Changes(should be in one or the other),then if you find it click the X on the right to remove it,then click okay.
Oh not that easy I'm afraid, this is not a case of "read the manual"... ;)
Actually, that is the first thing I tried. After the first appearance of the pop-up, and after I answered "Yes, allow" and "Remember this decision", the "InCD" line was indeed listed under "Allowed Registry Changes".
Since the popup "allowed registry change based on user whitelist" window was showing at every boot, I tried what you suggest, i.e. I removed the entry from the whitelist and double-checked it was gone.
Result: as you can imagine, at the following boot I was once again asked what to do with the (R.I.P.) InCD registry key.
As you can see, I'm stuck in a loop and this is really a bug of Spybot.
What if I disable TeaTimer, reboot, reboot again, reenable TeaTimer and reboot one more time, would it work?
Other suggestions?

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-06, 16:42
Please read the following:
Teatimer popups
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=3380
If that does not work, please show us what you are getting from the Resident Log. Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident > then page (scroll) to the bottom of the listing. Highlight the entries that you are concerned with, then Right click and select "Copy". Paste that information to a new post in this thread.

FridayChild
2006-04-06, 16:53
I will try the solution you suggest (the affected PC is at the office, I'm at home right now) but it does sound like it. In facts I seldom if ever closed TeaTimer manually.
Let's hope it'll be fixed in the next release. Speaking of which... when? :D

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-06, 17:00
In facts I seldom if ever closed TeaTimer manually.
That is the problem. After removing startup entries you have to.

cakeman
2006-04-06, 17:54
That is the problem. After removing startup entries you have to.

ah ha! so it is.. Ive been putting up with this stupid problem on my home xp machine for months and my win98 machine at work for weeks .. this one quick n simple right click just solved the 1 popup box on my 98 machine.. and I expect it'll do the same to the 12 bloody boxes that pop up every boot on my xp machine..

thanks!

Brett

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-06, 19:21
cakeman:

Thanks for confirming that it works and I think that you will find it works for "… the 12 bloody boxes that pop up …" on your system at home also.

Just a reminder, you can now remove any entries where you may have used TeaTimer's "Remember this decision" to keep from having to manually answer the TeaTimer popup dialog concerning this/these startup entries. To do that:
Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select "Settings". This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
Allowed processes
Blocked processes
Allowed registry changes
Blocked registry changes

Note: If you don't see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

Review the items in "Blocked registry changes". You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done.
ps: Again, thanks for confirming that it works, maybe FridayChild (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=5672) will have a little more confidence that upon retuning to the office that their problem can be easily resolved.

FridayChild
2006-04-07, 12:22
It worked for me too.
I also applied the hack to resize the pop-up window. In this latter case, though, I wonder why a new build and/or a hotfix has not been released to fix this problem with less hassle for the less tech-oriented users.