PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

banmrk
2006-04-08, 11:27
Dear Spybot and users,

I recieved an email from a company called "webroot", which we all know the software name. They are trying to get me to subscribe to their software, using this method:

**Extact copy of what was said**

Freeware can't keep up.

Free anti-spyware programs just don't cut it. Designed to stop pop-up ads in the early days of adware, these free programs lack the technical capabilities to keep pace as the spyware problems continues to grow.

Only commercial anti-spyware programs, like Spy Sweeper, have been able to invest in the manpower and technology needed to fight spyware writers. Spyware writers use unique packaging and file encryption to make their unwanted programs hard to detect and even harder to remove. Free products are unable to find these particularly nasty programs and leave end users with a false sense of security.

Active users of the Internet, those most prone to infection, rely on commercial products to eradicate spyware because the free anti-spyware programs just don't offer the level of protection needed.

**End of Copy**

Can you tell me if you agree with this? I personally think it's a load of **** as they know Spybot is on pc.

Banmrk

P.S. Sorry if this has already been done in another thread.

tashi
2006-04-09, 20:53
Hi there.

Well they are entitled to their opinion and means of advertising. :D

You might be interested in this article.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1945808,00.asp
Microsoft Says Recovery from Malware Becoming Impossible

Mike Danseglio, program manager in the Security Solutions group at Microsoft, was quoted in a presentation at the InfoSec World conference:

He recommended using PepiMK Software's SpyBot Search & Destroy, Mark Russinovich's RootkitRevealer and Microsoft's own Windows Defender, all free utilities that help with malware detection and cleanup, and urged CIOs to take a defense-in-depth approach to preventing infestations.