PDA

View Full Version : Can't Immunize Internet Explorer Completely

Miskeepuff
2006-04-08, 15:01
Hi, I can't seem to completely immunize internet explorer using Spybot S&D version 1.4. It says 6 more immunizations possible. When I click to immunize it says everything is immunized. When I check again, the 6 more immunizations possible message is back. What's the problem? Thanks. Am using my webtv address as I can't access my computer email address right now. The pc had a virus and I'm still reinstalling it. I just hope this message doesn't mean the virus is back again! Sincerely, Kitty Uhlman

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-08, 16:24
If you are running Windows 98, 98SE or ME, it is just a bug in the counting of immunized items and does not affect the actual immunization process.

raj118
2006-04-09, 17:28
I am using Windows xp home edition sp2. After the lastest update, following immunization spybot says I have immunized 9744 products. The next time I check for immunizations, spybot tells me that there are 9735 products with 9 additional products that need immunization. I click on immunize, the green processing dots fill into the right and don't quite go to the end of the box. Spybot tells me that immunization is complete- 9744 products are immunized. I close Spybot, reopen it, check for needed immuniztions again and I'm back to the same problem. Spybot says there are 9735 products, with 9 additional products that should be immunized.

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-09, 17:52
raj118:

Other than the problem mentioned above, the problem with not being able to fully immunizing usually is because of other products running in your system. Some third party Internet Explorer tools and anti-spyware products affect Spybot's immunization:
Cookie Pal removes cookie blocking registry entries put in place by Spybot.
Webroot’s Spy Sweeper IE Security Shield blocks some of the restricted zone entries that Spybot attempts to add to the registry.
Every once and a while immunizing with Spybot, Microsoft AntiSpyware reports that something is being added to the Trusted Sites Zone in Internet explorer. The report from Microsoft AntiSpyware is a false positive.
If you use other products such as SpywareBlaster, IE-Spyad, etc. that also add the same type of registry entries that Spybot uses and then remove those products, it can remove some of Spybot's immunization.

Please list other software that you run.

Miskeepuff
2006-04-09, 19:07
Thank you. I am using Windows me on my desktop computer, but my laptop uses windows xp service pack 2 and has the same problem. I do have IE-SPYADS installed in both computers. What do I need to do to fix the problem? Is there something in the IE-SPYADS that I need to take out of the restricted sites zone or something? I think IE-SPYADS is necessary, so please let me know what to do about this. Thanks. By the way, I also run Ad-Aware, Spyware Guard, and there is a spyware detection and removal program in my firewall, Zone Alarm Pro. Best Wishes, Kitty Uhlman aka Miskeepuff

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-09, 20:02
Oops! I fail to mention that ZoneAlarm has caused problems in the past by removing some of Spybot's immunization. Actually it was one entry and I thought because the problem had been report that it was resolved.

See the following thread starting on page #3, post #25:
trojan.win32.dialer.hc
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=260&page=3

raj118
2006-04-10, 02:37
Thanks for the information. I temporarily disabled Webroot Spy Sweeper and then immunized Spybot. All immunizations were completed. :bigthumb:

Miskeepuff
2006-04-11, 14:55
In response to your mention of a possible bug in Zone Alarm Pro, I would like to point out that I actually DID have that trojan in my pc. I had to format the hard drive and reinstall windows (still working on it as I speak). That was a BAD thing! Made a big mess! I am not so sure this is still a bug in Zone Alarm Pro, so I would suggest making sure that website is in the restricted sites zone even if you have to enter it manually. Best Wishes, Kitty (Miskeepuff)

TygerStar079
2006-04-12, 23:19
I'm still getting 6 more immunizations possible when I try to immunize. I do it again and it seems to be fixed, then when I click on check again, the 6 are missing again. How do I fix this problem? I am running Zone Alarm Pro including their antispyware scanner and IESpyads. Help!

Zenobia
2006-04-13, 01:07
Do you have Windows 98,or Windows ME?

Miskeepuff
2006-04-14, 06:05
I have windows me.

Zenobia
2006-04-14, 07:18
Sorry,Miskeepuff.I meant TygerStar079,but forgot to write their nick.

TygerStar079
2006-04-14, 18:27
Hi, I'm running windows millennium. Does that make a difference in how it works? TygerStar

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-14, 18:47
TygerStar079:

Hi, I can't seem to completely immunize internet explorer using Spybot S&D version 1.4. It says 6 more immunizations possible. When I click to immunize it says everything is immunized. When I check again, the 6 more immunizations possible message is back. What's the problem?

If you are running Windows 98, 98SE or ME, it is just a bug in the counting of immunized items and does not affect the actual immunization process.

alanrwood
2006-04-17, 12:35
This problem plagued me for a long time on all 4 of my networked machines until I read the postings above. My problem was solved by disabling Webroot Spy Sweeper whilst doing the immunisation.

Alan

TygerStar079
2006-04-17, 21:32
Well, only problem is, I don't have Webroot Spy Sweeper. I only have IESpyads, Ad-Aware, and Zone Alarm Pro which has a spyware scanner in it. And I think Spybot S&D is interfering with Zone Alarm Pro, too, because I can't get it to scan all files. It will only do a quick scan no matter how many times I select to scan all files or deep scan. So I'm wondering what the problem is here. Are these programs in conflict with each other? I'm having this problem with both windows me and windows xp (two computers). So it has to be more than just a glitch. Cheers, TygerStar

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-17, 22:12
TygerStar:

… And I think Spybot S&D is interfering with Zone Alarm Pro, too, because I can't get it to scan all files. It will only do a quick scan no matter how many times I select to scan all files or deep scan. So I'm wondering what the problem is here. Are these programs in conflict with each other?
Spybot's immunization is a passive protection. When you immunize entries are added to the system Registry. This blocks cookies from some sites, places other sites in the restricted zone and blocks the download/execution of selected ActiveX scripts. There is no way that Spybot's immunization should interfere with scans by any anti-spyware product.

To verify this, remove Spybot's immunization by going into Spybot > Immunize > then click "Undo" at the top of the right hand panel. Rerun your Zone Alarm Pro scan and see of the problem is or is not occurring.