PDA

View Full Version : Spybot closes itself after updates

emy80
2006-04-15, 11:41
Hello. This morning I installed Spybot and updated it. I used it in the past but I had to uninstall it. Surprisingly the updates were very fast and there were a detection library and detection rules to be updated. I was ok with that and started updating. But after the software finished the update process it closed itself. I got a little black screen like the DOS ones for two seconds. I managed to read just that the Detection rules and that detection library were updated. Right after this the program started itself. And to check if the updates really worked I tried checking for updates again and it said that Spybot was already up to date. Is it normal? :scratch:

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-15, 13:56
During updates Spybot sometimes executes a special installation process. A couple of weeks ago the updates replaced the advcheck.dll and the Tools.dll.

I noticed that when those updates finished that SpybotSD.exe terminated and restarted. This is speculation, but I assume that since both advcheck.dll and Tools.dll are used in SpybotSD.exe that the code was executed to restart SpybotSD.exe to make sure the new dll files were being used.

emy80
2006-04-15, 15:34
During updates Spybot sometimes executes a special installation process. A couple of weeks ago the updates replaced the advcheck.dll and the Tools.dll.

I noticed that when those updates finished that SpybotSD.exe terminated and restarted. This is speculation, but I assume that since both advcheck.dll and Tools.dll are used in SpybotSD.exe that the code was executed to restart SpybotSD.exe to make sure the new dll files were being used.

Thanks! To install the software gain I used an "old" .exe file I downloaded more than two weeks ago, while I was waiting for my pc to be back after the reformatting. So it seems that I didn't have the new .dll and Spybot replaced those. Thanks.