PDA

View Full Version : Copy registry loops

CWWUser
2006-04-15, 18:34
Greetings all,

I just - two hours ago - installed Spybot - S&D 1.4. I run Windows 2000. I was using the Wizard and Step 3 of 7 asked if I wanted to make a copy of my registry for recovery purposes. I agreed to this and about 6 minutes later the same step came back asking if I wanted to make a copy of my registry. I have no idea if a copy was ever made. Is there some way to tell? Is this the correct behavior?

Also is the registry copy made on my machine?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-15, 19:48
If you elect to "Create registry backup", during the backups the "Next" button is grayed out and there is a message displayed: "Please wait... this may take a few minutes". After the backups are completed that message disappears and the "Next" button becomes active again. Just click the "Next" button.

To verify that the backups were taken look for the backup files. There are two files created during the "Create registry backup" process:
regLocal.reg
regUsers.reg
The directory they are created in depends on the OS you have as follows:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
They are not full backups of the entire registry. The two files are exported "REGEDIT4" type files of specific registry keys as follows:
regLocal.reg
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software]
regUsers.reg
[HKEY_USERS]