PDA

View Full Version : NAV LiveUpdate block

foxsparrow
2006-04-18, 06:04
Greetings,

This came up as a potential threat during a S&D search and I inadvertantly blocked it. I saw the compatibility issue under the FAQs, so am assuming this is it. I have allowed LiveUpdate in the Windows Firewall exemptions, and have uninstalled Spybot (including registry cleanup and Program folder (didn't see a S&D folder under All users/Apps however) and reinstalled (new download, immediate update install) to no avail. My first search after a complete re-install came up clean. Thanks for your help!

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-18, 16:04
Please clarify what the problem is. Is your LiveUpdate just not working or are you getting messages when you attempt to do a LiveUpdate?

When the problem first started, did you:
Find a problem during a "Check for problems" and then do a "Fix selected problems".

--- or ---

Are you running the optional TeaTimer and received a similar to this:

Spybot - Search & Destroy

Spybot - Search & Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been changed.

foxsparrow
2006-04-19, 03:40
It was a. Find a problem during a "Check for problems" and then do a "Fix selected problems". For some reason the "ignore" and "fix" buttons do not display correctly (I can't read them) and I guessed wrong. (I clicked the left one). The LiveUpdate (LU) progress bar gets about a third of the way done and goes no more. When I cancel LU it remains suspended and I must kill it with the Task Manager.

The Symantec tech info lists the specific LU problem I am having. When I run their diagnostic tool it comes back saying I have a third party firewall installed.

If it makes any difference, I also had the free LavaSoft software installed and I have uninstalled that as well.

Thanks.

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-19, 06:39
When you do a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") there are no "ignore" and "fix" buttons. Problems found are pre-check for fixing and can be optionally unchecked. To actually fix the problems you then click the "Fix selected problems" button.

TeaTimer presents a pop-up dialog and due to a bug in Teatimer 1.4 the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are overlaid. See the attached thumbnail.

foxsparrow
2006-04-19, 12:49
Yes, that is what I see. I assume that bug has been fixed with the version I downloaded a couple of days ago. Do you have a fix for the LiveUpdate block? I read somewhere that you could just delete the block list and create a new one via a Check for Problems, but I did not see one.

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-19, 13:37
Do you have a fix for the LiveUpdate block? I read somewhere that you could just delete the block list and create a new one via a Check for Problems, but I did not see one.
What did you read and what FAQs were you refering to in your first post?

foxsparrow
2006-04-26, 02:50
My apologies for not responding sooner. I was out of town. The FAQ I was referring to was Spybot #27 "How to uninstall?" The link below describes the problem from Symantec's support. I was able to solve the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling all components of NAV. I reinstalled Spybot without Tea Timer (I'm not really sure what it does anyway) and everything is back to normal.

Do you think I need Tea Timer? Either way, I appreciate the time you spent on my problem.

Fox Sparrow

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2005050311260713?Open&src=con_ols_nam&docid=2005060115073113&nsf=sharedtech.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=