PDA

View Full Version : Update Problem

DingoTom
2006-04-22, 16:28
I tried to update Spybot S&D version 1.3 this week, and it was downloading the detections file, but then it stopped and said !!Bad Checksum!! :scratch: :confused: ???? Then I downloaded 1.4 and thought maybe that would fix it, but it said the same thing!:scratch: :confused: ????? Does anybody know a solution?

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-22, 17:36
"Bad Checksum" problems are usually caused by overloaded download servers.

To change download servers and for a workaround for "Bad Checksum" errors please see:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=345&postcount=2

Note: The download server can be changed after the "Search for Updates" and before clicking "Download Updates". So if you find a server that works well, you can start by using that server in the future. Also note that if you want (not necessarily recommended) you can select a server and then right click on the button and "Set this server as the preferred download location". If you do that Spybot will select that sever rather than a random server for future updates.

Additional information:
When updating, why do I get an error message that the "update is forbidden" / "bad checksum!!!"?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/20.html
How to update the program to the newest version
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html

brianeclus
2006-05-08, 22:14
I have continued to keep current with my updated spyware definitions from your site .... but then I noticed that my version was 1.3 and I wanted to have your 1.4.

So I downloaded and put the file into the directory where my spybot 1.3 was and I assumed it would update over. It did not.

It installed itself in a subdirectory so now I have 2 versions. My problem is that I wanted it to update my 1.3 with all of the settings and history that I have in 1.3 I have been using for a long time and made 2 contributions (forgive me for sounding so petty here .... I only mention this because I value the program and have tried to put my money where my mouth is ... and now being the first time that I have officially asked for help - I will admit I have sent one angry email saying that by now you guys should go commercial so that some of us could download the updated definitions without having to do so 3 times and taking always at least a half hour ... but anyway) and often times I am stumped or have forgotten why I put a setting the way that I did but it is because of something read on your site and then forgotten. So it is not so easy just to install a new version and go and redo the settings. But now I see your program does not reinstall over an older version and keep the old settings.

Why not?

Now what do I do. I assume go into Add/Remove (blah blah blah) and take out the new 1.4 .... and then take out the old 1.3 .... and then start anew with no old settings or anything. Which will be a drag. Wish it would just install over the 1.3
:angel:

brianeclus
2006-05-08, 22:18
I have looked it up in my windows xp glossary and it has no definitions of anything ever that I need. For heavens sake why is there not a place where a person who is smart but basically not at all computer savy with terms and programming ... can read what help there is. Even in your help file you assume knowledge of things that are beyond me and it is so frustrating to not get a couple more layman terms.

Sorry for my normal status. But just to have a computer these days almost requires one know all of so so so so so much information!!!! And I have had one for like 15 years ...

yes I must be the moron of the century!:spider:

brianeclus
2006-05-08, 22:20
on or off?
mg ... is that what it says
I know vb is visual basic .. or am I wrong
see I guess I said I was a moron
but there is no place where things like this are explained for someone.

brianeclus
2006-05-08, 22:26
enough to have picked a good program to contribute to.
I now see all I had to do was click on those left hand links and you explain what they are.
This is why I like Spybot so much because as opposed to AdAware (yes which I have because at least I can download the definitions within a reasonable time ... but no it is not half as good as your program in terms of everything covered and explained and how it is set up)
you explain so often what things are that I normally would not see explained.

For this I thank you very much. I also think it is wonderful that from the very beginning ... I noticed the lovely verse that is dedicated to the "most wonderful girl in the world". And as opposed to almost every thing in this world that is anti female .... you and your site are amazingly refreshing!

She is very lucky to have you as a friend too!

md usa spybot fan
2006-05-08, 23:19
brianeclus:

If you were upgrading from Spybot 1.3 to Spybot 1.4 you should have uninstalled Spybot 1.3 (Add/Remove Programs), then downloaded and installed Spybot 1.4. The settings, etc. that you had while running Spybot 1.3 would not have been deleted or overridden because they are stored in the Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy folder/directory which is not normally deleted when you uninstall as indicated in the following:
How to uninstall?
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=faq&detail=27
Were do you stand now and is Spybot working properly?

brianeclus
2006-05-09, 05:06
well I knew about the application data area ... so I copied that (well yes everything seems to be fine now to cut to the chase ... the way I went about doing it is very weird but it seems to have worked out and I guess even though normally I do as much searching as I can .... I guess I did not look under uninstall because I did NOT want to uninstall spybot. But the most interesting thing that you made me learn is that I could have supposedly uninstalled it .. and because it would not have been deleted in the "documents" area of xp (which I screwed around with too in the beginning so I guess I am lucky spybot put their stuff there) it would have retained my settings.

Thank you very much .... it is a great site and I have learned much from the beginning of downloading spybot a long time ago. It is really a program that should cost though and I will continue to support it that way.

thank you

P.S. - no "parse" in the glossary on that link page but I did find that it generally means "to comprehend, or to understand". In which case ... what context in terms of its being used in your code page for the [IMG] link down below. (As follows):

Stop vB Code Parsing
The tag allows you to stop the parsing of vB Code.
Usage [noparse]value
Example Usage vBulletin
Example Output vBulletin