PDA

View Full Version : Can't install Spybot!

primekanga
2006-05-01, 13:32
A friend is running Windows ME and after booting to the desktop, iexplorer immediately keeps popping up error messages. Clicking on icons does nothing, nor trying to access apps / control panel through the start menu.

Task Manager brings up a load of suspect processes. So its obviously spyware / malware.

But I can't get rid of them as I can't get on the internet to download spybot, or even get the installer off my usb pen! (as clicking on icons goes nowhere)

Help! Whats the next step? :confused:

noel-pr7
2006-05-01, 19:31
it could be more than just spyware & malware messing up your friend's ME computer. there might be some hard drive errors that may need to be fixed by running Scandisk. boot from a WinME boot disk and run scandisk to fix some of the hard drive errors. if that does not help, try re-installing WinME. seems like Internet Explorer may have some incorrect versions of certain files that also cause those error messages at startup. And if that does not work, you may have to wipe out the ME system and reinstall ME from scratch. be sure your friend has a WinME CD or if the WinME setup files are on the hard drive before doing a reinstall of ME.

btw - I also use windows me w/ spybot 1.4

LonnyRJones
2006-05-02, 01:13
End task on the suspect process's, then attempt to download and run SpyBot and a updated antivirus program, preferably while in safe mode.
If after that there are still problems Start a thread in our malware area and post a hijackthis log
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288